It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

TARFU:
My link was just a random, dirt cheap, older typical office computer that did not come with just an Atom or Pentium processor. Its relevance to Fairfox was nothing more than my imagination what I thought they might have.
dtgreene: I don't consider the lack of a discrete graphics card to be a problem. A (modern) computer that lacks one may not be able to run the most demanding 3D applications, but it can still play plenty of games, and it will likely use less power and run cooler without needing extra cooling (assuming the cooling system works).

In fact, I can even game on my $150 laptop, which I believe doesn't even need a fan to stay cool.

Also, not having a discrete GPU means no NVIDIA, and therefore means not having to deal with NVIDIA's refusal to release open source drivers (and therefore makes them not good choices for Linux users who don't like running proprietary software at that low a level).
TARFU: Why do you mention Nvidia and not AMD? Nvidia isn't the only game in town. Also, just recently coming from a laptop with integrated graphics back to a desktop with an older, used dedicated video card...there is a HUGE difference in graphics and game performance.
One reason I mention Nvidia and not AMD: AMD actually makes open-source drivers available for Linux, Nvidia does not. (For this reason, if I decide to go with a discrete GPU, I would choose AMD over Nvidia. Is there a huge difference even if the discrete GPU is a low-end or low-power model?)
TARFU:
Themken: My link was just a random, dirt cheap, older typical office computer that did not come with just an Atom or Pentium processor. Its relevance to Fairfox was nothing more than my imagination what I thought they might have.
You chose well, because that particular computer can be easily upgraded for not much money.
TARFU: Why do you mention Nvidia and not AMD? Nvidia isn't the only game in town. Also, just recently coming from a laptop with integrated graphics back to a desktop with an older, used dedicated video card...there is a HUGE difference in graphics and game performance.
dtgreene: One reason I mention Nvidia and not AMD: AMD actually makes open-source drivers available for Linux, Nvidia does not. (For this reason, if I decide to go with a discrete GPU, I would choose AMD over Nvidia. Is there a huge difference even if the discrete GPU is a low-end or low-power model?)
Well, look at the AMD rx 460 and rx 550. Both of those are sub-100 dollar video cards that will blow any integrated graphics out of the water. The rx 460 is actually better performance-wise than the gtx 750 ti that I have, and it costs about the same!
Post edited April 20, 2019 by TARFU
Well Not being physically attacked made me happy today what about you!

and watching this Lee Lin Chin Skit (Very Funny)
Post edited April 20, 2019 by fr33kSh0w2012
That it's my birthday (42y). Pizza, beer, gaming, The Big Lebowski and a Caucasian - that's how I will spend the day.

And yes, I'm aware that I share birthday with Hitler so there's that.
Themken: My link was just a random, dirt cheap, older typical office computer that did not come with just an Atom or Pentium processor. Its relevance to Fairfox was nothing more than my imagination what I thought they might have.
TARFU: You chose well, because that particular computer can be easily upgraded for not much money.
dtgreene: One reason I mention Nvidia and not AMD: AMD actually makes open-source drivers available for Linux, Nvidia does not. (For this reason, if I decide to go with a discrete GPU, I would choose AMD over Nvidia. Is there a huge difference even if the discrete GPU is a low-end or low-power model?)
TARFU: Well, look at the AMD rx 460 and rx 550. Both of those are sub-100 dollar video cards that will blow any integrated graphics out of the water. The rx 460 is actually better performance-wise than the gtx 750 ti that I have, and it costs about the same!
How do they compare in terms of power consumption? (That's one topic that isn't much discussed in discussions of CPUs and GPUs.)
jepsen1977: And yes, I'm aware that I share birthday with Hitler so there's that.
Mine is the same as Paula Deen, so we're pretty much in the same boat. :D
dtgreene:
Well, AMD is very power hungry :-( They kind of must improve immensely on that front with their next generation. On the low end cards the difference might be only 10W but a few steps up and we are talking 100-200W difference...
dtgreene:
Themken: Well, AMD is very power hungry :-( They kind of must improve immensely on that front with their next generation. On the low end cards the difference might be only 10W but a few steps up and we are talking 100-200W difference...
How does it compare to integrated intel GPUs?

In particular, how does the power consumption of low end AMD compare to Intel on games that the Intel GPU can handle, at the settings the GPU can handle?

Also, how does it compare when idle, or near idle (reading static web pages, running in text mode)?
dtgreene:
My information is off the top of my head dated but I think any discrete graphics card draws a lot more than integrated. My card draws 12W doing nothing but showing the desktop and that seems to be fairly typical. A lot can be said about Intels graphics but it works excellently for 2D, like office work and such.

If you want more exact numbers, someone else has to help or you do your own research. Many reviews mention power draw in idle and max.

This was rather informative: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/uhd-graphics-630.c3105. Seems to draw more than I thought it would.
Post edited April 20, 2019 by Themken
Grass is mowed and allergies are too high to go out and do anything, anyway. A great day to stay inside, get drunk, and play some vidya gamez. Gotta enjoy the simple things in life.
TARFU: You chose well, because that particular computer can be easily upgraded for not much money.

Well, look at the AMD rx 460 and rx 550. Both of those are sub-100 dollar video cards that will blow any integrated graphics out of the water. The rx 460 is actually better performance-wise than the gtx 750 ti that I have, and it costs about the same!
dtgreene: How do they compare in terms of power consumption? (That's one topic that isn't much discussed in discussions of CPUs and GPUs.)
Ok, here's what things look like:

The rx 460 has a TDP of 75 watts

and

the rx 550 has an even lower TDP of 50 watts.

Neither card requires an external 6 pin or 8 pin power connector. They get their power solely from the PCIe slot.
Post edited April 20, 2019 by TARFU
Themken: Well, AMD is very power hungry :-( They kind of must improve immensely on that front with their next generation. On the low end cards the difference might be only 10W but a few steps up and we are talking 100-200W difference...
dtgreene: How does it compare to integrated intel GPUs?

In particular, how does the power consumption of low end AMD compare to Intel on games that the Intel GPU can handle, at the settings the GPU can handle?

Also, how does it compare when idle, or near idle (reading static web pages, running in text mode)?
I wouldn't know how to measure the power draw of just the graphics card, but the RX460 isn't powerhungry. It draws all of it's power from the PCI-express slot and doesn't need an extra power cable, so that's max 75 Watt (there's exceptions to the rule of card manufactures who make the RX460 run at higher clock speeds and thus they do need a power cable - check the specifications on the sites of card manufacturers, mine is Gigabyte RX460 2GB OC and draws 75W max).

Like I said, I don't know how to measure the power draw of just the card, but I did some measurements on my old core i3 system with an RX460 card in it: idling it consumed 56W (that's what the whole system draws out of the wall: cpu, gpu, motherboard, SSD, 2 HDD's). Playing Battlefield 1 I measured a max power draw of 145 Watt.

I didn't do any measurements of the system when I had removed the RX 460 before selling the system though, so I don't know what it's power draw using just integrated graphics was though (but I'm of course positive I couldn't have played Battlefield 1 on it, once the gpu was removed).
Post edited April 20, 2019 by DubConqueror
jepsen1977: And yes, I'm aware that I share birthday with Hitler so there's that.
tinyE: Mine is the same as Paula Deen, so we're pretty much in the same boat. :D
Lol, yeah but at least she can probably cook better than Hitler and bigotry goes down easier with good food I think.
low rated
tinyE: Mine is the same as Paula Deen, so we're pretty much in the same boat. :D
jepsen1977: bigotry goes down easier with good food I think.
I am so going to crochet that and give it to my mother for her birthday. XD