It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Wow, I just found something marvelous:

http://rstl.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/by/year

Warning: not safe for science geeks who don't have much free time.
Morphine and custard brioche :P
dtgreene: What's wrong with common beef?
justanoldgamer: I was actually half way through a serious answer before a spotted the pun.
Interestingly, while there was the intended pun ("common" is the opposite of "rare", but not the definition you intended), I did notice an unintended pun ("beef" is a term sometimes used to refer to complaints about things).

English is a strange language. (Of course, it's not the only one.)
I woke up to Kraftwerk's "Computer World" playing on the radio. The rest of the day will probably be shit, but that was pretty nice.
I build a simple transistor amplifier from schematic in a book in the 1970s and was never able to make it work. This was the start of my dislike for analog electronic and I gave away that book several years later.

My brother in law recently gave me that book, he had gotten it at a meeting of radio enthusiasts (he restores antique tube radios). He did not know of my history with it. I built that amplifier again and it works now even if I had to substitute the obsolete transistors with more modern one. The distortion is bad because of the substitution but I'm really happy that it works, I can figure out how to get better performance from the simple circuit.

I still don't know exactly why it did not work back then but it's probably because I was not very knowledgeable back then and I had probably made some elementary mistakes. Back then I blame my lack of "advanced" equipment which I now know I did not need, it's not meant to be a hi-fi amp.

I'm not sure why I'm so happy at the proof that I'm better at electronic than about 40 years ago but I am. Take that young me!
justanoldgamer: I build a simple transistor amplifier from schematic in a book in the 1970s and was never able to make it work. This was the start of my dislike for analog electronic and I gave away that book several years later.

My brother in law recently gave me that book, he had gotten it at a meeting of radio enthusiasts (he restores antique tube radios). He did not know of my history with it. I built that amplifier again and it works now even if I had to substitute the obsolete transistors with more modern one. The distortion is bad because of the substitution but I'm really happy that it works, I can figure out how to get better performance from the simple circuit.

I still don't know exactly why it did not work back then but it's probably because I was not very knowledgeable back then and I had probably made some elementary mistakes. Back then I blame my lack of "advanced" equipment which I now know I did not need, it's not meant to be a hi-fi amp.

I'm not sure why I'm so happy at the proof that I'm better at electronic than about 40 years ago but I am. Take that young me!
You could pursue this interest further. Try to figure out how to reduce the distortion, or better yet, try to figure out why the distortion is there. Maybe deliberately build a circuit that distorts the sound even more.

Or, you could take other directions. Maybe get an Arduino and learn how to program it. Then, connect that Arduino to a circuit and you can do all sorts of things.

There are plenty of possibilities here. (Of note, I have an Arduino, but have been too afraid to try building a circuit with one; I am too afraid that I will burn out some LEDs or some other device.)
I finally checked out the Spring anime lineup, and what do I find? JoJo 4 is rolling, and there are two whole episodes out. Went perfectly with the weather.
justanoldgamer: I build a simple transistor amplifier from schematic in a book in the 1970s and was never able to make it work. This was the start of my dislike for analog electronic and I gave away that book several years later.

dtgreene: You could pursue this interest further. Try to figure out how to reduce the distortion, or better yet, try to figure out why the distortion is there. Maybe deliberately build a circuit that distorts the sound even more.

Or, you could take other directions. Maybe get an Arduino and learn how to program it. Then, connect that Arduino to a circuit and you can do all sorts of things.

There are plenty of possibilities here. (Of note, I have an Arduino, but have been too afraid to try building a circuit with one; I am too afraid that I will burn out some LEDs or some other device.)
I did not stop doing electronic back then, I just preferred digital electronic to analog. And I do plan to remove or at least lower the distortion and maybe use it as a bench amp. I'm on my pension now and figured I'd revisit analog electronic, this amp is just the first step.

I have played with an Arduino. It is fun, specially finding if a bug is in the hardware or the software. I plan to create a simple computer around one with a very simple interpreted language not unlike the one of old HP programmable calculator or Forth..

Arduinos are cheap enough that you should not be afraid to experiment, LEDs are even cheaper.
Today in history...

The Civil War ended.
FDR died.
And both me and David Letterman were born.

And one day when I'm dead and no longer have birthdays, please fill free to piss on my grave. Because, you can always tell yourself that I said I appreciated honesty.

*there's some dark poetry for you weird cretins*
I had a lucid dream last night, i.e. a dream where I realized I was dreaming. I was being shown to a cubicle when I realized I had that dream before. I read somewhere that you can't read in dreams so I tried to read the inscriptions on a beer bottle and I couldn't. I did not really had time to experiment because I woke up.

It was my first time since I read about that phenomenon in my teens.
low rated
"Macedonians", unlike us, miraculously live up to the legend of their usurped name, somehow, after all. They love their home, they defend it with vigor by repelling the primitive, intrusive, invading scum, even. Hell, they even protected our own front yard over there and restored order within our grounds on our account during out total absence too, albeit temporarily (and the government stooges accused them of trespassing our borders, even though they allow those filthy animals the scumfugees to abuse them daily, freely)! I am ashamed for my origins, since i am the original Macedonian, yet the usurping ones, act exactly how a real Macedonian would and should. By defending their own country and not handing it over to each and every random vermin in existence to vandalize it, as they see fit.

I am also happy about Bulgarian people, who make full use of their civilian right to arrest someone, they are doing a wonderful job arresting the bastards who have no respect for someone else's home, or the laws that are supposed to protect it against any threat. Angelina Jolie and her circus of U.N./whatever should eff off and die, they have become very bugging and annoying as of late, a real eyesore (her literally, though) and only idiots like us, give them the time of the day to bitch about constantly with their stupid rantings and even more stupid demands.

I am happy because i realize that the left-brain tumor of a cancer that left wing truly is, hasn't infected everybody, at least yet. Some people keep their senses intact and brains operational.
Post edited April 13, 2016 by KiNgBrAdLeY7
Emob78: Today in history...

The Civil War ended.
FDR died.
And both me and David Letterman were born.

And one day when I'm dead and no longer have birthdays, please fill free to piss on my grave. Because, you can always tell yourself that I said I appreciated honesty.

*there's some dark poetry for you weird cretins*
Happy Birthday, my good man! To celebrate, I'll mail you a bottle of fine tequila... oh, wait.

It's the thought that counts, so cheers!
I found my missing HDMI cable!

I lost it when moving out everything from my lab (aka electronic room aka computer room aka TV room aka library) because the floor needed to be redone. I had three HDMI cable, one from XBOX 360 to TV, one from Blue Ray to TV and one from computer to TV (as second screen). I only found 2 when moving things back in.

Today I found the third one in a box of miscellaneous things (I still haven't finished getting everything back in, procrastination is my middle name). I almost ordered a new one last week, I'm glad I waited.
I just had one of the most boring day in my life :-/
justanoldgamer: Wow, I just found something marvelous:

http://rstl.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/by/year

Warning: not safe for science geeks who don't have much free time.
Could I borrow some time to go through all these?

Holy moly