It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Nope, not DA2
kalirion: The thing is that it seems like it could be any number of fantasy games, most likely but not necessarily an RPG. The only bit of UI shown in any of the screenshots is the little bit of dialog with the Doorman in the last one, and that doesn't seem to be enough. I googled the dialogs of some famous RPGs and they didn't look anything like that, so I'm out of ideas personally :) (hopefully it's not a modded Skyrim interface or whatever.).
Haha, with me you can be sure it aint nothing as silly as that

The dialogues look all pretty much the same so far.
Not that it's like FAMOUS, but the name is surely well known by many. Various people associated with it possibly even more so. The engine too.

Gueess this was the first clue)
snoooow in summer...
osm: Nope, not DA2
kalirion: The thing is that it seems like it could be any number of fantasy games, most likely but not necessarily an RPG. The only bit of UI shown in any of the screenshots is the little bit of dialog with the Doorman in the last one, and that doesn't seem to be enough. I googled the dialogs of some famous RPGs and they didn't look anything like that, so I'm out of ideas personally :) (hopefully it's not a modded Skyrim interface or whatever.).
osm: Haha, with me you can be sure it aint nothing as silly as that

Not that it's like FAMOUS, but the name is surely well known by many. Various people associated with it possibly even more so. The engine too.

One question about the last screenshot - is it an in-engine rendered scene,or is it a still "jpeg" style scene? Asking because those textures are faar more detailed than the ones in the 2nd screenshot.
osm: Nope, not DA2

Haha, with me you can be sure it aint nothing as silly as that

kalirion: One question about the last screenshot - is it an in-engine rendered scene,or is it a still "jpeg" style scene? Asking because those textures are faar more detailed than the ones in the 2nd screenshot.
not really sure what the second option is, but the last shot is a genuine gameplay screenshot. No cutscene or anything. Just a dialogue while playing the game. Well ofc maybe they could soup it up specifically... Don't think so tho.
the diff in texture quality may be due to the rendering glitches.. which do seem to happen.
Post edited December 27, 2022 by osm
kalirion: One question about the last screenshot - is it an in-engine rendered scene,or is it a still "jpeg" style scene? Asking because those textures are faar more detailed than the ones in the 2nd screenshot.
osm: not really sure what the second option is, but the last shot is a genuine gameplay screenshot. No cutscene or anything. Just a dialogue while playing the game. Well ofc maybe they could soup it up specifically... Don't think so tho.
the diff in texture quality may be due to the rendering glitches.. which do seem to happen.
What I mean is, do the door and the wall etc look like that in the engine as you're coming up to them, or do you come up to a lower detailed door, hit the interact button, and then suddenly the still image of the high detailed door appears in front of you?
Post edited December 27, 2022 by kalirion
one last try I reckon
Attachments:
3.jpg (276 Kb)
Talin_Warhaft: Reminds me of Two Worlds II.
osm: Nope, sorry.
That would be my first guess.

osm: Admittedly the screencap was of a somewhat substandard quality.

Time for another one. Gotta be very recognizable for those who played the game...
Dragon's Dogma?
osm: Nope, sorry.
rtcvb32: That would be my first guess.

osm: Admittedly the screencap was of a somewhat substandard quality.

Time for another one. Gotta be very recognizable for those who played the game...
rtcvb32: Dragon's Dogma?
Nope.

Seems my impression that today AAA(-ish) games look more and more alike is right after all...
The guesses are all over the place.
osm: Seems my impression that today AAA(-ish) games look more and more alike is right after all...
It's just the same companies, using the same tools with the same artists making the same type of games... Trying to target the same audience with the same genres and same plots.

Honestly hand drawn and pixel art stuff feels like it has more personality and diversity of artistic expression. Odin Sphere, now there's a beautiful game that you can't confuse for anything else.

Though there's a few 3D ones set to make it look pixel-art that are decent enough too.
osm: Seems my impression that today AAA(-ish) games look more and more alike is right after all...
rtcvb32: It's just the same companies, using the same tools with the same artists making the same type of games... Trying to target the same audience with the same genres and same plots.

Honestly hand drawn and pixel art stuff feels like it has more personality and diversity of artistic expression. Odin Sphere, now there's a beautiful game that you can't confuse for anything else.

Though there's a few 3D ones set to make it look pixel-art that are decent enough too.
Talented and creative 3D is good too. Like blocky and ugly Dark Engine in say Thief 2 - with its atmosphere, shadows, sounds etc... Clearly wins in my book. Or something left-field like Messiah - unique look and feel. Temple of Elemental Evil had absolutely sweet 3D models and animations (not to mention stunning pre-rendered backgrounds - I'm looking at you, ugly Infinity Engine =)
Also I have a strong impression that sound is done very poorly today. Everything on the altar of maximum poly count, texture resolution, bump maps, gfx, etc. Just for pretty screenshots - they probably think it's the ultimate thing that sells.
Post edited December 27, 2022 by osm
osm: Talented and creative 3D is good too. Like blocky and ugly Dark Engine in say Thief 2 - with its atmosphere, shadows, sounds etc... Clearly wins in my book. Or something left-field like Messiah - unique look and feel. Temple of Elemental Evil had absolutely sweet 3D models and animations (not to mention stunning pre-rendered backgrounds - I'm looking at you, ugly Infinity Engine =)
Also I have a strong impression that sound is done very poorly today. Everything on the altar of maximum poly count, texture resolution, bump maps, gfx, etc. Just for pretty screenshots - they probably think it's the ultimate thing that sells.
Mhmm...

They really need to try putting in artificial limits rather than what is available today. It was the limitations that made the games interesting because they had to work around them, find solutions to problems due to ram, storage, processing power, architecture specific issues. etc.

I wonder what they could do if they really tried, say going with PS2 limits, but with 1Gb ram max instead of 32Mb, that's the only change i'd do. (Though starting and raw engine should still be based on 32Mb. Boot up Disgaea on PS2 recently? Like 5 seconds and the game has loaded ready to start).
osm: one last try I reckon
Pure guess: Neverwinter (the MMO)?

I think more hints are needed, such as the approximate age of the game :)
Post edited December 27, 2022 by kalirion
Trivia time!
In the development of its classic ancestor apparently had taken some fringe part a man who later became a woman.
osm: Trivia time!
In the development of its classic ancestor apparently had taken some fringe part a man who later became a woman.
Hello osm!

Ok, this hint directed me to the propably correct game series--it might be one of the "Bard's Tale" games.
Based on the graphic fidelity I thought first of the "Bard's Tale" Remake from 2004. However, the way how the dialogue is beeing displayed does not match.
Then I looked through the gameplay screenshots of "Bard's Tale IV" and found this striking resemblence of the dialogue system visible in the trailer video linked here on GOG.com's game page. (See the attached pictures for comparison.)

hence, it should be "Bard's Tale IV" (or it's Director's Cut to be precise).

Kind regards,
foxgog
Attachments:
osm_pic_3.jpg (421 Kb)
foxgog:
Correct