It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Set up for another playthrough of Ultima 3 Amiga, this time running off a virtual hard drive rather than a virtual floppy; this should hopefully cut down on load times.

I am going with a RRCW party again, as Rangers are *really* good in this version (they regenerate MP as quickly as Druids (not quite identically, but close enough, and actually better for my preferred setups)), but will use magic to open chests this time around; I want to see how it feels in comparison to not using magic in this version.

Edit: First encounter was with a pirate ship. I was not expecting that! Well, that's one thing I don't have to search for (unless I get lucky with the whirlpool).
Post edited February 10, 2018 by dtgreene
tinyE: *snip*
viperfdl: What game is that if at all?
Diablo 2.

I was making a joke. The first half of the quote is actually from the game, the second half being my take on how odd it is that in a lot of these games (RPG, ARPG) you bust your ass to save these people, they tell you how grateful they are, yet they still charge you for EVERYTHING and never even offer you a discount. ;P
viperfdl: What game is that if at all?
tinyE: Diablo 2.

I was making a joke. The first half of the quote is actually from the game, the second half being my take on how odd it is that in a lot of these games (RPG, ARPG) you bust your ass to save these people, they tell you how grateful they are, yet they still charge you for EVERYTHING and never even offer you a discount. ;P
If I remember correctly there are either quests or story points in Diablo 2 where the player get a 10% discount.
tinyE: Diablo 2.

viperfdl: If I remember correctly there are either quests or story points in Diablo 2 where the player get a 10% discount.
there is one mission, first one in Chapter 2, where your reward is a discount.
viperfdl: If I remember correctly there are either quests or story points in Diablo 2 where the player get a 10% discount.
tinyE: there is one mission, first one in Chapter 2, where your reward is a discount.
Isn't something like that for all hubs? Or is this just with the add-on? Or am I just wrong?
I played through the Crossing Souls demo last night. It was okay. A bit heavy on the talking as I would have liked just a little more combat to see if they had any greater depth to show off. The graphics aren't bad. The style reminds me a little bit of Zombies Ate My Neighbors. I'll keep an eye on the reviews to see if it turns out well. The demo didn't turn me off but it didn't make me want the game either.

This might seem nitpicky, but they should get an American to do a pass on the script because the dialect is a tad off. No one ever recorded the Super Bowl and wrote "Super Bowl Final" on the tape like it's the World Cup or something. It's just the Super Bowl :) Also, the main character referred to the backyard as a garden - in the U.S. gardens tend to be sections of the lawn in which you grow all your flowers or veggies. There are also the usual anachronisms that things about "The 80s" often run into, like the character in 1986 calling Michael Jackson the King of Pop, a nickname Jackson made up for himself in the early 90s. Just little things.
Post edited February 10, 2018 by andysheets1975
The Thing

John Carpenter's 1982 horror film is one of my all-time favorites. An excellent soundtrack, brilliant cast, horrifying practical effects, and pitch-perfect tension always made it stand out. To my surprise, the sequel game keeps most of that, from the moments that call back and show what happened to the survivors of the film to the interesting take on survival horror-action gameplay. I'm really surprised this one isn't more well-known.
andysheets1975:
The language thing is sloppiness and would annoy me too if I would spot them.
Ultima 3 Amiga version still. I am finding that the RNG is flawed; it seems to constantly give streaks of similar values. Spells that have a 75% chance of affecting each enemy frequently hit all enemies, and wil miss all enemies far more often than chance would suggest. The spell that opens chests will fail many times in a row, and opening the chest without the spell once the failures start will result in the chest not being trapped; if it is trapped, it's an Acid trap and the open chest spell will start working again.

In other words, the RNG is rather terrible in this port; it doesn't feel random enough, and it is too predictable. It seems like the developer messed up when designing or coding the RNG.
Restarted my Wasteland 1 playthrough, and am farther than I've gotten in the game so far.
WL1 team is currently in Vegas, just declined Fat Freddy's job offer, was pretty wowed how many times Fat Freddy deflected full auto mag dumps before dirtnapping.

Encountered the Scorpitron in Vegas, being able to defeat the Scorpitron after some planning was fun, Scorpitron lootbag was garbage though.
FINALLY!!!!

2 days, 20 + tries, I finally got to the 1.8 Billion Zerg mark on "Last Stand" in LotV!

This is why achievements suck. If I had put forth that time and energy into something constructive, I could have cured cancer, or on the very least, figure out a way to get all four original members of ABBA back out on tour.
Playing Zwei: The Ilvard Insurrection (won in giveaway). It's great, I really want to play more. I will absolutely be buying the Arges Adventure as well.

I also tried out Crypt of the Necrodancer, which I bought last time it was on sale. Game is a bit too hard for me (I kind of suck at rhythm games), but I love the music and will keep trying just to listen to it.

Also I just bought Dragon Quest Builders and Pokken Tournament on Switch so I'm being kept busy while I wait to replay my favorite handheld RPG (Radiant Historia, though technically started the replay with the demo).
ljyoun: The Thing

John Carpenter's 1982 horror film is one of my all-time favorites. An excellent soundtrack, brilliant cast, horrifying practical effects, and pitch-perfect tension always made it stand out. To my surprise, the sequel game keeps most of that, from the moments that call back and show what happened to the survivors of the film to the interesting take on survival horror-action gameplay. I'm really surprised this one isn't more well-known.
Where can I find this game? GOG and Steam look like dont have it or just me cant find.
ljyoun: The Thing

kmcoolice: Where can I find this game? GOG and Steam look like dont have it or just me cant find.
It's on PC, Xbox, and PS2. Sadly, it's not available digitally anywhere. I got lucky and found an Xbox copy secondhand, since the Xbox version is backwards compatible on the 360. I have seen copies on each platform on eBay and Amazon. The console versions are decently priced, and not a bad option since the Xbox version is actually pretty good. But the PC version isn't that cheap. I've seen prices from $17 for the jewel case and disc to $40 or higher for the boxed copy.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.A0.H0.Xthe+thing+video+game.TRS1&_nkw=the+thing+video+game&_sacat=0
kmcoolice: Where can I find this game? GOG and Steam look like dont have it or just me cant find.
ljyoun: It's on PC, Xbox, and PS2. Sadly, it's not available digitally anywhere. I got lucky and found an Xbox copy secondhand, since the Xbox version is backwards compatible on the 360. I have seen copies on each platform on eBay and Amazon. The console versions are decently priced, and not a bad option since the Xbox version is actually pretty good. But the PC version isn't that cheap. I've seen prices from $17 for the jewel case and disc to $40 or higher for the boxed copy.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.A0.H0.Xthe+thing+video+game.TRS1&_nkw=the+thing+video+game&_sacat=0
Really liked this game, thanks for the memories! Had some neat mechanics as well (fear, squadbased tactics, infection). Don't think I ever solved it but put in a bit of time with the game.

I actually didn't mind the recent Thing remake movie either - pretty good overall.