It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

ljyoun: Fallout: New Vegas

I hated this one when I played it after it first came out. Looking back on that, it was entirely due to my nostalgia for Fallout 3 and my inexperience with the style of role-playing New Vegas was going for. But after trying it again with the experience of the original games, I feel sorely mistaken in my initial hatred. I honestly consider this my favorite Fallout along with 2. The story is interesting, the world is more interesting, and the role-playing was much better.
Up-vote just for praising New Vegas. Yes, I admit my bias.
I've just started Okhlos: Omega. Pretty entertaining so far
Ghorpm: I've just started Okhlos: Omega. Pretty entertaining so far
I COULD NOT get into that game.
PaterAlf: Giana Sisters - Rise of the Owlverlords

I had nearly all the diamonds in the sixth level (on hard difficulty) and then Giana was tuck in a wall. And of course there is no option to return to the last checkpoint. Instead I have to replay the whole level. I really hate it when stuff like this happens.
Isn't it annoying when you softlock like that?

I just beat the Wily Wars version of Mega Man 2. I note that there are some softlock possibilities in that game, mainly because there are certain parts where you need to use weapons with limited ammo to proceed. The boss of Wily 4 is a notorious example (you don't have enough ammo to destroy all the walls and kill the boss), but the final stage is also a problem; the final boss can only be hurt by one weapon (which has finite ammo; it's not the Arm Cannon), and there's no way to restore your weapon energy in the stage. If you don't have enough weapon energy, it is necessary to game over and try again (and there's no shortcut; you have to take enough damage to die until you run out of lives).

I remember one part in Mega Man 3 where you have to use the rush jet, and while there are some refills in that part of the game, they don't respawn if you die; hence a death in that part of the stage (or later) could leave you into a situation where game over is the only option. They really should have had health/energy refills respawn when you die. Mega Man 1 had the right idea here (though, of course, the Wily Wars version got rid of that).

Next up is Mega Man 3 on Wily Wars (actually Rockman Mega World, since I'm actually playing the Japanese version).

Incidentally, some games include a suicide button for cases where you get stuck; this includes Syoban Action (occasionally necessary on Mystery Dungeon mode, which doesn't guarantee being able to clear a level on any given life), I Wanna Be the Guy, and VVVVVV. Celeste has an option on the pause menu called "Retry" that kills you if used. The NES Zelda games (as well as Metroid) have a code (that requires a second controller) that has the same effect as getting a game over, allowing you to save the game.

Edit: And, interestingly, Wizardry 7 has a "Terminate Game" option during combat; if the battle is hopeless, choosing this potion will immediately kill the entire party.
Post edited February 04, 2018 by dtgreene
Oh ok. You know that DUH!-feeling where you have been playing some game, or even a whole genre of games, for a very long time, and then you learn something quite vital much later.

I've been complaining about some RTS games like Age of Empires 3, Starcraft 2 and Warcraft 3 how you can't slow down the gameplay much, or not at all. Just so that when things get hectic, you still have enough time to do several things "at the same time" across the map, like attacking an enemy base while you re-adjust the production and resource gathering at your home base? That's the reason why I stopped playing Starcraft 2 (campaign), and I sometimes hope for the ability to slow the gamespeed down also in Age of Empires 3.

Now I finally learned that you CAN give commands in the paused mode in AoE3, making my complaint about the "fast" gamespeed pretty much irrelevant. God damn it.

To my defense, it is not made apparent in the game because when you pause the game, you get a big fat "PAUSED. CLICK HERE TO UNPAUSE." window in the middle of your screen, which obstructs quite much of the view. So while you give commands in the paused mode, you have to scroll the view so that the units etc. are on the sides of the screen, not in the middle. If the meaning really is that I pause the game from time to time to give commands, why didn't they put a smaller blinking "paused" icon on one of the corners, for example?

Anyway, that really changed the way I play the game, now I do micromanage even battles much more, telling my units which units to attack (e.g. naturally tell my anti-artillery cannons to first target the enemy artillery units one by one, as that is their purpose).

Now I wonder if this has been possible in many other RTS games where I've felt the gamespeed is a tad too fast? Starcraft 2 and Warcraft 3 included? Maybe I must test them, and it would mean I could finally continue my SC2 campaign (in the brutal mode).
Post edited February 04, 2018 by timppu
Ghorpm: I've just started Okhlos: Omega. Pretty entertaining so far
tinyE: I COULD NOT get into that game.
So far it looks like a silly little game. I guess it can be really enjoyable but only if I play it in small portions.
Fallout 3

In between New Vegas, I decided to buy and revisit this one on PC. While I don't think it's quite as good as New Vegas, at least as an RPG, I do still think Fallout 3 is a great game. Its world is a nice change from the originals, the original and licensed soundtrack gives the game a good sense of atmosphere, the tone of Fallout is brought over practically perfectly, and some of the areas and quests are truly memorable. Areas like Vault 106 and quests like Tranquility Lane still remain in my mind a decade later. Especially for the first attempt at a 3D entry into the series, and being developed in tandem with Oblivion, it holds up quite well, though I do think New Vegas improved on several aspects.
Something that always bothered me about Diablo 2.

Second mission, you kill The Countess, and as a reward you get one of Darcy's soldiers to aid you. Now as you are roaming around with her you are coming across the dead decaying bodies of her fellow sisters, her friends, her loved ones, and what do you do? YOU LOOT THEM! :P The poor girl is trying to help you and there you are looting the corpse of her friends for gold and equipment. XD Seems a tad discourteous to me.
Space Taxi - A C64 game in which you drive a flying taxi around, picking up passengers and trying to get them safely to their destination as fast as possible. It's funny how taxi games almost never change in their fundamentals. This one plays like a Gravitar/Lunar Lander type, but a bit easier than those. The levels are cute, with various gimmicks like piloting around giant beach chairs or trying to avoid the ball bouncing off of a giant ping pong table.

Ice Trek - An Intellivision game by Imagic with a cool Norse mythology concept. You have to end an ice age by melting the dark lord's castle and freeing the bifrost. There are three stages. The first and third ones are fine. In level one you have to navigate a caribou stampede - you can kill them if they're about to run you over, but if you do the forest goddess will appear and try to kill you with her arrows. In the third stage, you just avoid fireballs while shooting your own at the castle turrets. The middle stage has you trying to cross a river by throwing a grappling hook at icebergs and pulling them down to make a bridge while trying to make sure icebergs behind you don't the bridge. This stage is really tedious and badly hurts the game.

Night Stalker - Another Intellivision game in which you run around a maze, picking up a pistol to use to kill enemies until you run out of ammo and need to pick up a replacement. It has a nice atmosphere in that the graphics are dark and the "music" is just a constant low pulse that sounds like the closest thing the INTV can do to a John Carpenter score. I'm not wild about the controls, though - you use the disc to move around but you shoot with the keypad (it wants to be a twin-stick shooter but they didn't have a controller for that) - and like a lot of INTV games, I've found that it seems to take forever for the game's pace to increase.
andysheets1975: trying to make sure icebergs behind you don't the bridge
Are you missing a word after "don't" there?
andysheets1975: trying to make sure icebergs behind you don't the bridge
dtgreene: Are you missing a word after "don't" there?
Yup, I do that a lot. The icebergs will break/shorten the bridge if they collide with any part of it.
andysheets1975: Space Taxi - A C64 game in which you drive a flying taxi around, picking up passengers and trying to get them safely to their destination as fast as possible. It's funny how taxi games almost never change in their fundamentals. This one plays like a Gravitar/Lunar Lander type, but a bit easier than those. The levels are cute, with various gimmicks like piloting around giant beach chairs or trying to avoid the ball bouncing off of a giant ping pong table.
Nice. That was one of my favourite games when I was a kid. I still like it a lot.
On a really lucky run in a game of Nantucket. I'm in the second year and nobody's died or gotten a leg amputated yet.
Playing max payne 1 from humble sale, ah how I miss this old game so damn much.
DreamedArtist: Playing max payne 1 from humble sale, ah how I miss this old game so damn much.
I forgot I bought that. :P
Are you running it WideScreen? How does it look?