It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

ReynardFox: I mean you're not wrong, Steam is entirely worse in pretty much every respect, be it website design, ethics or business model, and that's why I already write them off as a company. I will never support Gabens shitty rental empire. Same goes for garbage like Origin or uPlay either, I expect nothing from these platforms.

However, GOG is my only viable option as a gamer who values ownership and preservation and also wants a wide enough selection of products, it was somewhere I trusted, and have invested a LOT of time and money into supporting this place. But for the last few years I've been struggling with all their boneheaded, self destructive, disrespectful and bafflingly incompetent decisions that are now, very clearly, leading them down a path of self destruction, and it's hurting all of us in some way, along with the future of DRM free as a viable distribution method.

But as you said, they're better than the alternatives, but after the last few months, and especially the last few weeks, that at this point is the ONLY thing keeping me here anymore. I despise the people running GOG now, and I still don't know if I'll buy from here again, at least I won't any time soon, but what options are left? I want to give this store the finger if they refuse to address the people who got them where they are, but no one else does DRM free gaming to any acceptable scale, I don't want to have to go back to sailing the high seas and I don't see Zoom platform picking up the slack. However if they do, I will be out of here in a flash.
There is no publicly traded company that is a decent moral entity, period. Its an illusion woven by clever PR and marketing gimmicks.

A publicly traded company is controlled by a collective of people out to make money. It is their mandate and the fact that they are a collective normalises the behaviour of the company toward the goal of making money.

If you want mostly moral, look for a non-corrupt government, non-profits or the rare company that is controlled by a benevolent dictator for life (most likely a smaller company).

btw, I'm 99% sure that GOG is DRM-free not out of general principle, but because it is a niche were they can exist and be profitable (Steam and some big name alternatives with their down exclusive content have pretty much cornered the rest of the market).

Your relationship with GOG is strictly a business relationship. You have money that they want and they have products (DRM-free games) that you want. Look any further than that and you'll be disappointed.
I think they can restore the lost trust it will just take a while because of so many things that has happened to them. What they need to do is fix Cyberpunk and release Devotion. Give a way a few games for free like the Wticher 3 for a limited time for example.
toupz111: What lost trust? Cyberpunk is an awesome game, consoles always sucked and nothing wrong on pc, lots of people i know beat the game and enjoy it
You are 100% wrong. From my understanding Cyberpunk ran fine on the PS5 and the Xbox series X and it was only the PS4 and Xbox-one versions that suffered any performance issues. Also there have been all kinds of bugs reported with the PC version which plagued several users. Yeah you may not have had issues but saying there is nothing globally wrong with the game when there is reported issues is just ignorant. What lost trust how about them lying and covering up the performance issues that plagued the PS4 and Xbox-One versions of the game. How about them asking reviewers to use game trailer footage or stock gameplay footage when reviewing the game.

toupz111: CPDR didn't do anything bad, you're the stupid ones for pre-ordering in first place, fucking tools
Um Yeah they did, They rushed out a game they KNEW wasn't ready. They even violated Sony's PSN policy about announcing that everyone that wasn't happy with their purchase to ask Sony for refunds.
Post edited January 03, 2021 by Fender_178
They must support Devotion and Detention, and they must make good on promises of refunds and fixes - promptly. If ANY of those are missing, I think CDPR will take a long-term hit and not regain its previous reputation any time soon. That reputation was not easy to build, but very easy to destroy with the choices they've made in the past month. They should have known better.
GHOSTMD: Does your game work without launcher? Without being connected to the internet?
Then there is no arguing about the fact that it is DRM free thats it. Goodies aren t DRM.
You want them fine then register your copy to your GoG account, don t want that?
Then just play the game without them. Those are not DRM, they WOULD be if the game
doesn t work without them. Simple as that.

Bet you also want a refund and still keep the game then, yes? You know your argument
is BS there. Since DRM is a restrictive mechanism that prevents you from owing the game
and gives the publisher the tool to cut you off at any given point. THAT is DRM.
Not some items you get when you use a certain platform.

Besides... to get the trust back, that isn t the thing CDPR needs to do. UI rework, some
features need to come back like humanity loss and loyality systems (besides don t want
fingers to lay hand on me) ^^. World need to be more interactive... give it a pinch of GTA SA
or two (aka minigames, stripclubs, clubs from the get go) and so on.
Slick_JMista: this is what i do with my gog purchases.

1. download the offline installer from gog.com
2, install the game with it
3. launch gog galaxy and then manually add it through the menu.
4. go to the game's page and verify the files.

Now you have an offline game that is integrated into galaxy without any issues. i suggest everyone to refrain from downloading the game directly from the client.

Edit: Or rephrasing: GOG sells a DRMed version of Cyberpunk 2077 - the offline installer version.
FFS, what did i tell you, the DESKTOP ICON AUTOMATICALLY SETS a PATH to launch it WITH
Galaxy, it is like that since they pushed 2.0 and yes even the offline installers do that (as far as i know)
Rate me down all you want, everybody claiming GOG sells DRMed games is just WRONG or doesn t
understand WHAT DRM actually is.

if you guys have ANY doubts about DRM on gog, do the following steps pretty much as @Slick_JMista
said already.

1. Download offline installer (if you insist)
2. cut your internet
3. install the game
4. execute the game via executable in the game folder (you may send that to your desktop)
5. cut all running galaxy services

if your game NOW is fully functional, installed and started without internet or galaxy, then you
can be pretty sure it is DRM free

and YES that is how i test the DRM free thing, except that i just do it after i let galaxy install them.
I still wonder why ppl insist on that since years.

However, what i said stands at this point CDPR just has to rethink certain decisions and even
some processes of decision making within the company itself. Given ofc they care about
"being the good guys" and even if they can get back to the former reputation of being a customer
friendly platform / company, i think that the CP77 launch and Devotion thing ll be remembered.
As for CP77, i believe some reworking is needed, starting with the UI and AI and then the nightlife.
But we ll see, as for the devotion thing, ye just release/ bring it back to GoG.
Post edited January 05, 2021 by GHOSTMD
ChinaGovtIsFascist: They must support Devotion and Detention, and they must make good on promises of refunds and fixes - promptly. If ANY of those are missing, I think CDPR will take a long-term hit and not regain its previous reputation any time soon. That reputation was not easy to build, but very easy to destroy with the choices they've made in the past month. They should have known better.
The world economy is likely to go down the toilet long before this lawsuit with CDPR is resolved.

If your lost trust is with CDPR, you are completely missing the point
ChinaGovtIsFascist: They must support Devotion and Detention, and they must make good on promises of refunds and fixes - promptly. If ANY of those are missing, I think CDPR will take a long-term hit and not regain its previous reputation any time soon. That reputation was not easy to build, but very easy to destroy with the choices they've made in the past month. They should have known better.
schewy: The world economy is likely to go down the toilet long before this lawsuit with CDPR is resolved.

If your lost trust is with CDPR, you are completely missing the point
You think so? The trust CDPR has build up, was build on "OLD" community members.
(like me and others, yes my join date is still wrong ever since the merge of forum and gog accounts)
CDPR did made decisions that were risky, but customer friendly. See selling DRM free games.
The thing is, over the last few years, decisions were made, that eroded this trust.
It pretty much blew up with CP77 launch, not because expectations weren t meet.
Because it shows so clearly that this GAME was rushed, to meet the decision "money ppl" made.
Not the gamer, in my "circle" NO one absolutely NO ONE "DEMANDED" a pre X MAS release.
I d rather had a MAY 21 release with all the features and good KB /M input as well as good AI we re
missing now, than this rushed release just to get the X MAS money in.

Let alone the cost of good will CDPR just burned through, with this. They aren t a "little polish dev"
anymore that can be forgiven a messy launch like it was back when W1 was released. They are
a "big boi" now, they earned a reputation of high quality games with extreme love to detail.
They just burned through that, with that release, as well as other decisions see "Devotion".

I mean, it says a lot when i tell you CDPR was the only company that managed to make me
preorder, in 30 years of gaming ever since Berlin Wall fell. CDPR were the ONLY ones that
earned that much trust, which (by now) is pretty much gone. I am sure every pre 2015 community
member feels similar right now. I rly don t know what can be done to regain this.
schewy: If your lost trust is with CDPR, you are completely missing the point
GHOSTMD: You think so?
Yes, I think so. Most companies change management frequently and you are an unwise consumer to have placed such an unrealistic level of confidence in their brand. If you want to be an early adopter, go right ahead but don't complain if you gave them money yesterday for a game today and you don't like how it turned out. And in full disclosure I have bought cyberpunk 2077 today
GHOSTMD: if you guys have ANY doubts about DRM on gog, do the following steps pretty much as @Slick_JMista
said already.

2. cut your internet
3. install the game
4. execute the game via executable in the game folder (you may send that to your desktop)

if your game NOW is fully functional, installed and started without internet or galaxy, then you

and YES that is how i test the DRM free thing, except that i just do it after i let galaxy install them.
Have you tried that with Gwent? If not, please give it a try and let us know how that works out.

You are correct that most games on GOG are DRM-free. However, if even one game contains DRM, they cannot legitimately claim to be a '100% DRM-free store'. 99% is not 100%.
schewy: The world economy is likely to go down the toilet long before this lawsuit with CDPR is resolved.
First off, aren't you an optimist :P. But on a more serious note of a side-note, I doubt it. Regional economies, sure, they might be affected if things go south - the world economy, not so much. Because it's a fickle thing that can be kept on life support with the right nudges. And rest assured it's going to be nudged if it gets there.

What people don't generally realize is that an "economic collapse" doesn't look like a lot of people no longer having any money and being out of jobs - it's people still having money, yet it being worthless due to shortages in produce. Essentially, famine and infrastructure breakdown. Think the current GPU market applied to every day stuff.

Let's just hope we won't get to see it in our lifetimes, eh?
GHOSTMD: FFS, what did i tell you, the DESKTOP ICON AUTOMATICALLY SETS a PATH to launch it WITH
Galaxy, it is like that since they pushed 2.0 and yes even the offline installers do that (as far as i know)
Rate me down all you want, everybody claiming GOG sells DRMed games is just WRONG or doesn t
understand WHAT DRM actually is.

if you guys have ANY doubts about DRM on gog, do the following steps pretty much as @Slick_JMista
said already.

2. cut your internet
3. install the game

However, what i said stands at this point CDPR just has to rethink certain decisions and even
some processes of decision making within the company itself. Given ofc they care about
"being the good guys" and even if they can get back to the former reputation of being a customer
friendly platform / company, i think that the CP77 launch and Devotion thing ll be remembered.
As for CP77, i believe some reworking is needed, starting with the UI and AI and then the nightlife.
But we ll see, as for the devotion thing, ye just release/ bring it back to GoG.
Problem with that is that nowadays, a lot of software download extra free dependencies (as in free beer at least) from the internet that are not bundled with said software, most often due to license constraints, but also convenience.

You can circumvent that by pre-installing said dependencies before installing the software.

So, just because an installer is not 100% offline doesn't mean that the software isn't DRM-free (just that you have some extra work to do if you want the 100% offline experience).

Never bothered to check if it was the case with GOG installers, but most open-source software work like that out of the box nowadays and its hard to get freer than that.

Also, Linux installers don't use Galaxy at all and I never bothered installing GOG Galaxy on my Windows gaming console (*cough*, I mean computer, *cough*) and the "backup" installers work just fine.
Post edited January 05, 2021 by Magnitus

Edit: Or rephrasing: GOG sells a DRMed version of Cyberpunk 2077 - the offline installer version.
GHOSTMD: <snip>
said already.

2. cut your internet
3. install the game

Not sure why you are quoting me with the installation order/process here. But my argument for CP 2077 was that you are missing out on the DRMed Galaxy-only goodies if you dont have Galaxy and just use this sequence. (And bolded the relevant parts.)

GHOSTMD: You think so?
schewy: Yes, I think so. Most companies change management frequently and you are an unwise consumer to have placed such an unrealistic level of confidence in their brand.
Far as I know the original founders are still the biggest shareholders and still have the big management positions.
I quoted you, because goodies aren t DRM. I explained pretty much WHAT DRM is and how it works.

Have you tried that with Gwent? If not, please give it a try and let us know how that works out.
Gwent? You mean the MP Standalone Gwent? Pretty sure that needs a internetconnection
BY design, nice try though. And no didn t touch it, since Gwent is just a nice minigame in W3
for me. Also can t tell for Thronebreaker, but feel free to evaluate on that.

Pretty sure, ppl who claim GoG games have hidden DRM, don t understand REAL DRM.
At all... but hey that is just me.

Far as I know the original founders are still the biggest shareholders and still have the big management positions.
Yes Adam Kicincki and Marcin Iwinksi, to name 2 of them. Thing is with CP77 they made several severe wrong
decisions, regarding the cut content and design of the game itself. As well as the pushed release. My point
is 2021 is a junction point for CDPR, we either see them returning to be trusted and having their reputation
resored (somewhhat) or it ll just go further downhill from here on.
GHOSTMD: I quoted you, because goodies aren t DRM.
Maybe try explaining what you actually mean? That goodies are goodies (and not food, housing, DRM or whatever else) is obvious and irrelevant to the discussion. My point was that the goodies are DRMed.
Far as I remember (based on reading some post about it - dont know if this is true) the goodie data is even included in the offline installers but cant be used without the Galaxy activation.
high rated
After the Devotion issue and the lie about it (followed by silence), I:
- Refunded any orders from the last 30 days (first ever refund)
- Deleted my GOG wishlist
- Didn't buy anything in the sale
- Made sure I spoke about this on social media.

I won't be buying from GOG again until they sort this out (or CD Project games like Cyberpunk from another store).

As others have said, I have enough games to last me a lifetime already here, on Steam, and on Itch (probably hundreds that I haven't played yet). For the first time in two years I bought games in Steam's Winter Sale (and none in GOG's). Steam is shit and I know it, so I have low expectations and am not disappointed. Gog seriously disappointed me.

Unless this gets resolved I'll go back to how I was a few years ago and get all my games on Steam (if heavily discounted, to make up for the DRM) and Itch (full price if indie and DRM-free).

I've no idea how to get all this alienation noticed by the people at GOG who have the power to change anything.

It's weird how a company can have a super-loyal customer, and via a number of bad decisions that they double down on, make that customer so angry that they lose all their goodwill and will no longer recommend them or support them.
schewy: Yes, I think so. Most companies change management frequently and you are an unwise consumer to have placed such an unrealistic level of confidence in their brand. If you want to be an early adopter, go right ahead but don't complain if you gave them money yesterday for a game today and you don't like how it turned out. And in full disclosure I have bought cyberpunk 2077 today
Well, yes and no...

No, you can't tell the day-one or "day-minus-one" (pre-order) purchasers to not complain. They put their money on the table, and what go they in exchange? If anyone among the CDPR fanbois has - or had - a reason and a basis for complaints, it's them.

Yes, they should have been less smitten with the company and acted reasonably instead of pre-ordering or ordering on day one. Waiting for the product having entered the market and having been reviewed before making a purchase decision would have saved them from disappointment and subsequent complaining without trading any drawbacks for it whatsoever.

As you said, consumers are unwise. It's not going to change. Yeah, an unwise consumer might eventually learn and cede being an unwise consumer, but then again, there is a new sucker born every minute. Whaddya gonna do?