It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Arundir: Well, you got a point. nonetheless - stop pre-ordering games.
KentGAllard: Well, even if I didn't pre-order this one (I don't actually do it very often for a ton of reasons, both obvious and not), it'd be a day one purchase for me because I had a lot of faith in CD Projekt and I was ready for some clunk, but I really underestimated how much clunk there would be this time around.
I did not buy Cyberpunk 2077, I only watched a PS4 stream - glitchy, buggy, not game-breaking. As I said they wanted the Christmas sales, guess it shows, that a company is a company in the end.

Betrayal at Krondor entry noted - a great rpg.
Arundir: I did not buy Cyberpunk 2077, I only watched a PS4 stream - glitchy, buggy, not game-breaking. As I said they wanted the Christmas sales, guess it shows, that a company is a company in the end.
Yeah... reminds me of a great quote from the original Dishonored - "Strange how there's always a little more innocence left to lose". Sucks, I followed CD Projekt from 2007 and the original Witcher. Jank as heck that one was, but I still loved it.
Arundir: Betrayal at Krondor entry noted - a great rpg.
Thanks bruv :D I'm in a bit of a RPG binge, both classics and relatively new ones. Currently going through Kingdoms of Amalur, then gonna move on to finishing Wasteland Remastered and NWN1 addons and then... well, I've got a long road ahead of me.
zlaywal: Well for one thing CD Project should help GOG to fasten the refund system. It's clear that the support system here has been overwhelmed for months and the long waiting time bound to irritate people more.
yup, I knew this 30 day refund is a bad thing for them, clearly they don't have the manpower for it
zlaywal: Well for one thing CD Project should help GOG to fasten the refund system. It's clear that the support system here has been overwhelmed for months and the long waiting time bound to irritate people more.
Time4Tea: Yeah, you know, I don't quite understand why there should be anything complicated at all about the refund system, or why it shouldn't be heavily automated and streamlined. I mean, anyone can refund any game they bought within 30 days, right? So, shouldn't the refund algorithm be as simple as:

IF (date of game purchase by requesting user account < 30 days)
give refund;
END

Why does a human being even need to be involved? Unless of course CDPR want to deliberately make it more burdensome than that, to discourage people from asking for refunds ...
cause that system is so easily exploitable , does gog give refund if your pc can run it and you just want a refund?
probably they make it intentionally slow so less refunds are actually going throu
toupz111: Cyberpunk is an awesome game, consoles always sucked and nothing wrong on pc
KentGAllard: Wow, three statements in a single sentence and all wrong, that's gotta be some kind of record.
he is trying too hard to troll us , not gonna happen
Post edited December 25, 2020 by Orkhepaj
high rated
The overall quality of a PC game includes both due to the nature of a medium. This is why PC game reviews include things like performance benchmarks (which also aren't 'content') and many older reviews did mention DRM during that era of activation limits or code wheels, etc. And the post you were replying to made no distinction nor even used the words "quality" or "content" once, that was something you inserted into your reply seemingly as a separate argument to the topic being discussed.
Arundir: STOP PRE-ORDERING STUFF.
Unfortunately, consumers at large won't be able to. It's in their genes... ;-P
Arundir: STOP PRE-ORDERING STUFF.
elgonzo: Unfortunately, consumers at large won't be able to. It's in their genes... ;-P
yep 60% of humanity is just too stupid
Stop bending knee to wastelings.

Stop selling incomplete packages of games (expansions missing) / censored games (ex BFG Doom 1/2) / DRMed games (ex No Man's Sky).

Stop pushing Galaxy so aggressively and promoting gifts/extras through it exclusively.

Stop wasting money on first floor office parties, like the Witcher 3 Prima Guide shamelessly reveals and instead, invest them wisely in proper work/polishing tasks. Reinvent marketing and PR protocols, closely oversee curation (them and their excuses overdid it already, plus they never consult the community wishlist), become transparent again and confront their followers/supporters openly, with all due honesty. And stop it with those deception tactics; people aren't stupid, that simply annoys them more.

Reinstate good old policies that brought stability and prosperity before, instead of modern gifts-barrage, big sale-discounts and damage control emergencies, in general. One sided, fickle tactics of the smokescreen variation, a.k.a. "sweep under the carpet", aren't half as solid, trustworthy and reliable on the long run like honesty, as far as mutually beneficial relationships go.

Optional:

Reverse the entire stockmarket and going public, situation. I myself, never liked outsiders dictating how things are run. They don't care about quality, inspiration, passion, but their only concern is vying for profit... Even if it means opening holes in their own ship. Looks before the contents and self interest in the epicenter, never ensure the general good. Stop. Being. Greedy. And goody-two-shoes.
Post edited December 25, 2020 by Steamisbetter
high rated
As Seb369 said, there are different entities at play here:

CDP - CD Projekt
CDPR - CDProjekt Red - Current Scandal - Made Cyberpunk, released it before it was ready
GOG - Formally called Good Old Games, I've heard is internally referred to as CD Projekt Blue. Current Scandal - Pulled Devotion and blamed it on us.

To me the problems we've recently witnessed have neither come from CDPR or GOG, they've come from CDP and have been pushed down upon their child companies.

Cyberpunk, by most accounts I've heard, needed more time to be a finished game. This was not a surprise, and not actually that unusual from studios (including CDPR). I suspect that for every AAA game that "nailed it" this year, you could be quoted 5 that released with a load of bugs. As a software developer (not games) I can empathise with the release call. You're burning money until you release and the pressure you're putting the devs under (by most accounts significant pressure) is actually leading to less productivity, bad code, bad fixes causing more bugs, potentially a runaway project. Meanwhile the customers with their pre-orders are screaming bloody murder at the idea of having to wait another month for their game (see NMS as previous example of this irony). So they got the game out there, massively ramped up their testing surface as a result, and can now get a comprehensive backlog of bugs to fix. There's a reason so many games are releasing like this, they need to break the current cycle of finding 2 or 3 bugs a day, and get a proper handle on the problem.

I'm not saying this was the "right" thing to do, just that I can see what drove them to do it, and while it has cost them first impressions, they'll get those bugs fixed fairly quickly, and long term people will have the game they bought. For the PC and next gen consoles at least. For the PS4 and XBone I don't believe it can ever work, and the problem falls into the next category.

The problem has been driven entirely by the PR, and fundamentally the "trust" referred to in the OP. There's a well established label for games that haven't finished, that's called "Early Access". If they just slapped that magic label on the game they'd still get all their beta testers, and they can say they've been honest with everyone. The downside is it's a massive pride hit, and would dent investor & management confidence in their ability to deliver (but this happened anyway).

Much more egregious was the deceit. Marcin was quoted as saying "The game runs surprisingly well on previous generation consoles". While it was admittedly a relative assessment, to my mind that was willful deceit from CDP. Then there was the issue of the controls placed on reviews, only the PC version, limits on what they're allowed to say about the game prior to release, selective reviewers receiving copies. CDP pulled out all the tactics you associate with AAA games companies manipulating reviews, to my mind that was further willful deceit. I can go on, there's a whole rant from Jim Sterling on the subject which he does back up with evidence though his reporting style is irritating enough to avoid it.

Then GOG bundle in on the PR fun with the Devotion mess. I also empathise with the commercial decision here, but the PR release to blame it on gamers was so boneheaded and insulting I can't call it willful deceit so much as brazen contempt. I once again think this statement and the decision generally is being pushed out by CDP, and filtering down to GOG.

So the "trust" isn't about the state the game was released in, or the decision to pull Devotion. It's about the actions surrounding the broken game, and the PR messages. It's about the lies, and when they're deliberate and geared towards making them money, I don't think there's much chance putting that trust back. Given a choice between fewer sales and lying to your face, CDP will always choose the latter.

Final thought: I've seen this behaviour before in several companies. It's generally what you see when a company is not aiming for long term "trust", the short termist sales focus is usually when a company is trying to fatten up the books in preparation for a sale. It would stand to reason that the founders of CDP would quite like a retirement package, and that CP77 was the final release to really make them more than just "The Witcher Games Company".
wpegg: Much more egregious was the deceit. Marcin was quoted as saying "The game runs surprisingly well on previous generation consoles". While it was admittedly a relative assessment, to my mind that was willful deceit from CDP.
They also said there is "no problem" with the xbox or ps4 versions.. a statement that did not age very well considering that they had to post an apology, offer refunds, and even got the game got pulled from the PS store.

Source: https://www.cdprojekt.com/en/wp-content/uploads-en/2020/10/trancript_en.pdf

There are other interesting nuggets if you read the call transcripts..
Attachments:
Post edited December 25, 2020 by clarry
wpegg: Final thought: I've seen this behaviour before in several companies. It's generally what you see when a company is not aiming for long term "trust", the short termist sales focus is usually when a company is trying to fatten up the books in preparation for a sale. It would stand to reason that the founders of CDP would quite like a retirement package, and that CP77 was the final release to really make them more than just "The Witcher Games Company".
It could be. The addition of the Epic Games Store to Galaxy not that long ago made me think then what the future of GOG will be and whether that could be a sign a of a possible upcoming reorg of the CD Projekt group. As a side note, 40% of EGS is owned by Tencent, and it wouldn't be entirely frivolous to imagine some relationship between this and the complete withdrawal/cancellation of Devotion on GOG...
Time4Tea: Yeah, you know, I don't quite understand why there should be anything complicated at all about the refund system, or why it shouldn't be heavily automated and streamlined. I mean, anyone can refund any game they bought within 30 days, right? So, shouldn't the refund algorithm be as simple as:

IF (date of game purchase by requesting user account < 30 days)
give refund;
END

Why does a human being even need to be involved? Unless of course CDPR want to deliberately make it more burdensome than that, to discourage people from asking for refunds ...
Orkhepaj: cause that system is so easily exploitable , does gog give refund if your pc can run it and you just want a refund?
probably they make it intentionally slow so less refunds are actually going throu
I could be wrong (I've never asked for a refund), but I thought people don't need to give a reason. If they ask for a refund within 30 days, they get one.

If so, it's literally a 3-line piece of code.
Post edited December 25, 2020 by Time4Tea
Steamisbetter: Stop bending knee to wastelings.

Stop selling incomplete packages of games (expansions missing) / censored games (ex BFG Doom 1/2) / DRMed games (ex No Man's Sky).

Stop pushing Galaxy so aggressively and promoting gifts/extras through it exclusively.

Stop wasting money on first floor office parties, like the Witcher 3 Prima Guide shamelessly reveals and instead, invest them wisely in proper work/polishing tasks. Reinvent marketing and PR protocols, closely oversee curation (them and their excuses overdid it already, plus they never consult the community wishlist), become transparent again and confront their followers/supporters openly, with all due honesty. And stop it with those deception tactics; people aren't stupid, that simply annoys them more.

Reinstate good old policies that brought stability and prosperity before, instead of modern gifts-barrage, big sale-discounts and damage control emergencies, in general. One sided, fickle tactics of the smokescreen variation, a.k.a. "sweep under the carpet", aren't half as solid, trustworthy and reliable on the long run like honesty, as far as mutually beneficial relationships go.

Optional:

Reverse the entire stockmarket and going public, situation. I myself, never liked outsiders dictating how things are run. They don't care about quality, inspiration, passion, but their only concern is vying for profit... Even if it means opening holes in their own ship. Looks before the contents and self interest in the epicenter, never ensure the general good. Stop. Being. Greedy. And goody-two-shoes.
This, also state the real reason why Cyberpunk is being more censored with each patch. Put back the nudity in Cyberpunk, Apologize for the whole situation, release mod tools and donate to a charity; donate preferably to a Hong Kong charity, even if it's a neutral charity like a historical monument charity. Oh, and add Devotion to the damn store.
low rated
Steamisbetter: Stop bending knee to wastelings.

Optional:

Shiznown: This, also state the real reason why Cyberpunk is being more censored with each patch. Put back the nudity in Cyberpunk, Apologize for the whole situation, release mod tools and donate to a charity; donate preferably to a Hong Kong charity, even if it's a neutral charity like a historical monument charity. Oh, and add Devotion to the damn store.
Lol nice troll, why would someone donate to hong kong? China is the shittest place
Shiznown: donate preferably to a Hong Kong charity, even if it's a neutral charity like a historical monument charity. Oh, and add Devotion to the damn store.
Don't you mean Taiwan instead of Hong Kong?
Shiznown: This, also state the real reason why Cyberpunk is being more censored with each patch. Put back the nudity in Cyberpunk
Is this an actual thing? I played the release day version and nudity was rare then too, after character creation and the first real mission. I saw some guy post pics of an upskirt where they supposed "added panties" but it was just a lighting difference making them more obvious. Also NPCs should probably wear panties in public anyway.