It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Carradice: Dates from the end of the XXII century
Dear time traveller, please check the dates better. We are now living in the XXI century. It is nice to know there will still be books written more than 130 years from now.
Carradice: Dates from the end of the XXII century
Themken: Dear time traveller, please check the dates better. We are now living in the XXI century. It is nice to know there will still be books written more than 130 years from now.
Ohhhh thanks for pointing that out!!! Damn, you caught me, now my cover is blown XD

Let us pretend that I wrote the XII century then ;)

Cheers!
I am reading The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoevsky.
Now reading The Egyptians by Isaac Asimov.
Just finished "Wieland; or, The Transformation" an early american gothic novel by Charles Brockden Brown, which I discovered thanks to H. P. Lovecraft's essay "Supernatural Horror in Literature". Quite enjoyed it.

Now started "Candide: or, Optimism" (another "or" title hehe) by Voltaire. Hilarious and sad at the same time.
The Golden Torc by Julian May
Sagan's and Druyan's Comet.
seba_86: The Golden Torc by Julian May
That's a good one. Julian May is really underrated.
Wilder: The bridge of Saint Louis Rey
corickl: Wilder: The bridge of Saint Louis Rey
Ohhh, I have wanted to read that since I heard a radio broadcast of Our Town for Christmas a few years ago. If you wish, come back and let us know your impressions.
The Moravian Night by Peter Handke.
I usually read some nonfiction like The Ultra Mindset by Travis Macy, Getting Things Done by David Allen, and others. But recently I started reading All Quiet On The Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque. Because I watched a movie based on this book and because of the situation in the world.
corickl: Wilder: The bridge of Saint Louis Rey
Carradice: Ohhh, I have wanted to read that since I heard a radio broadcast of Our Town for Christmas a few years ago. If you wish, come back and let us know your impressions.
I won't spoiler here, but the book is good. If you wanted to read it go on.
Carradice: Ohhh, I have wanted to read that since I heard a radio broadcast of Our Town for Christmas a few years ago. If you wish, come back and let us know your impressions.
corickl: I won't spoiler here, but the book is good. If you wanted to read it go on.
Thanks a lot for the hint. I will do so. It might be a good fit for the Christmas season, too, at least for the memories. Thank you and peace.
S. E. Hinton. The Outsiders.

Close to finish this short book, now. The story still remains relevant, probably as long as there will be human beings and differences that might put them apart. Also this book changes with time: teenagers will likely get it in a straightforward way, and get to ponder that there might be sunsets for all, while those who passed that age and are brave enough to go back (with empathy and a fair memory) will maybe sympathize a bit more with Darry from the beginning.

You may remember the film by Francis Ford Coppola. It was both great and loyal to the source. The cast was spot on, and that is to say little. It was thorough and an example to learn from. Then, Coppola brought out the best of these young actors that largely would succeedafterwards in their careers afterwards, including Patrick Swayze with all his presence as Darry, Matt Dillon as the unforgettable Dallas, Emilio Estevez, Tom Cruise and more.

The book is good and short. It was very successful and remains a modern classic. The film is good. Both are worth your time. If you liked the film, you will probably love the book.

Added: I cannot resist to link a trailer for the film here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVRTWPPvtyU
Post edited December 14, 2022 by Carradice