It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Just finished the Soldiers Son Trilogy by Robin Hobb

I have read others from this author and enjoyed them.

This series is,,,well a departure I feel for the author. Seemed like a period drama with some magic thrown in.

I've now started re#reading the Drizzt books at my daughters insistence as she has bought the latest in the series and wants my opinion.
Densetsu: Reading:

≈ Martin's Dance with Dragons, 120 pages in;
≈ Hobb's The Golden Fool, 250 pages in;
≈ Scalzi's The Last Colony, 2/3 through;
≈ Asimov's Caves of Steel, no idea where I am there.

Hobb's book is... decent. Readable, but not much more.

To say that everything else is mediocre so far is a kindness.

I have to say that Scalzi's The Ghost Brigades, the book that comes before The Last Colony (Old Man's War Trilogy) was to me an excellent read. Recommendable to everyone who likes some depth to SF.
Yes I very much enjoyed the two books before last colony, Old mans war and Ghost Brigades, not so much Last colony and zoe's story
Not much changed on my list.

I'm still reading Dance With Dragons and Atlas Shrugged. I'm also reading Liberal Fascism by Jonah Goldberg and while I haven't gotten that far, I'm enjoying it a lot as it debunks many myths of the typical political spectrum.

I also have a copy of American Sniper: The Autobiography of the Most Lethal Sniper in U.S. Military History by former Navy SEAL Chris Kyle. I've only gotten past the first chapter or prologue.
Just finished Bridge of Birds: A Novel of an Ancient China That Never Was by Barry Hughart, and recommend it. He sometimes skirts the line between "running gag" and "beating a dead horse," and I wasn't totally sold on the structure (quite episodic; you could rearrange some chapters without really altering the story much), but it's quite funny, the characters are charming, and it's nice to read a fantasy novel that isn't set in pretend Europe.
The last book that I read was "The Dragon Never Sleeps" by Glen Cook.

Awesome author.
Just picked up from the library:

Michael Morpurgo - War Horse and Private Peaceful
Andrzej Sapkowski - The Last Wish and Blood of the Elves

That should keep me busy for a while
davosseaworth749: Yes I very much enjoyed the two books before last colony, Old mans war and Ghost Brigades, not so much Last colony and zoe's story
Did you read The Android's Dream and Agent to the Stars? If yes, what are your impressions?

I have them on my potential purchases list and it would be helpful to know what somebody with similar opinion about Scalzi's work thinks.
sauvignon1: The Robert E. Howard Omnibus: 99 Collected Stories.
:brofist:

Does it have Vultures of Wahpeton and Pigeons from Hell in there?
Post edited December 09, 2012 by lowyhong
Currently on Steph Swainston - The Year of Our War
davosseaworth749: Yes I very much enjoyed the two books before last colony, Old mans war and Ghost Brigades, not so much Last colony and zoe's story
Densetsu: Did you read The Android's Dream and Agent to the Stars? If yes, what are your impressions?

I have them on my potential purchases list and it would be helpful to know what somebody with similar opinion about Scalzi's work thinks.
Alas I have unfortunately not read these two novels yet, but they do seem very much less serious and more comedic then his other works so If you enjoyed his humour(which was decent if I recall correctly) then these might be ok. Sorry I could not help
sauvignon1: The Robert E. Howard Omnibus: 99 Collected Stories.
lowyhong: :brofist:

Does it have Vultures of Wahpeton and Pigeons from Hell in there?
Vultures, yes; Pigeons, no.
Currently going through Mogworld by Yahtzee Croshaw
Golden Retrievers for Dummies
The Quantum World- Kenneth W. Ford
davosseaworth749: Alas I have unfortunately not read these two novels yet, but they do seem very much less serious and more comedic then his other works so If you enjoyed his humour(which was decent if I recall correctly) then these might be ok. Sorry I could not help
Allright then, thanks for responding!