It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Article: Die Debatte um die Essener Tafeln ist ein weiterer Aspekt der allgegenwaertigen Elitenverwahrlosung by Jens Berger
About the Essener Tafeln (thrown away food for the poor) and the actual social problem in Germany.

Edit:
Article: "Largely ineffective and potentially harmful" by Stephan Schleim
An interview about the problematic success of antidepressant drugs.
Post edited March 02, 2018 by viperfdl
Collapse by Jared Diamond
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen by Alan Moore and Kevin O'Neill.

The 2003 movie is terrible and it has successfully made me avoid the graphic novel. But the first two book I've read is just amazing. Now the third volume~Century is kinda confusing cause I don't recognize all the new characters background and made me missing all the intended homage.

I haven't read the Black Dossier and the Nemo Adventures yet.
Post edited March 01, 2018 by zlaywal
zlaywal: The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen by Alan Moore and Kevin O'Neill.

The 2003 movie is terrible and it has successfully made me avoid the graphic novel. But the first two book I've read is just amazing. Now the third volume~Century is kinda confusing cause I don't recognize all the new characters background and made me missing all the intended homage.

I haven't read the Black Dossier and the Nemo Adventures yet.
I loved the first two minis, but the Black Dossier didn't do much for me and I stopped after that. The concept was just getting really twee and it felt like Moore was getting tired of adhering to the "rules" he'd set up in the earlier works.

The movie was an abomination. The first mini is pretty cinematic already and would have made a solid basis for a film but of course they had to change everything. Casting a 20-something actor to play Tom Sawyer during a setting in which he would have been an old man... *sigh*
The Coming of the Third Reich by Richard J. Evans
Article: Tagesdosis 2.3.2018 - Selbstlose Helfer der Essener Tafel sind Opfer von SPD-Rassismusvorwuerfen by Rainer Rupp
About Essener Tafeln and the hypocrisy of the politics.

Edit:
Article: Schock fuer ARD und ZDF! by Jens Lehrich
Satire about the credibility of German media.

Edit:
Article: Schuss um Schuss by Ullrich Mies
Satire about implications of the school shooting in Florida.

Edit:
Article: Wir sind die Veraenderung by Elisa Gratias
About hope.

Edit (03.03.2018):
Article: Die 5-Sterne-Bewegung aus Italien - ein Schreckgespenst fuer Europa? by Thomas Trares
About the Italian party Movimento 5 Stelle, M5S.
Post edited March 03, 2018 by viperfdl
Principles of Data Science by Sinan Ozdemir

Starts really interesting and it's really well-written. Thanks to this daily e-book giveaway!
Article: Max Uthoff: "Ein erwachsener Mensch, der mit Stolz eine Militaeruniform traegt, ist grundsaetzlich ein Fall fuer die Couch" by Marcus Kloeckner
An interview with the German Kabarettist Max Uthoff

Edit:
SPD in Champagnerlaune! by Jens Lehrich
Satire about the German party SPD.

Edit (07.03.2018):
Article: "Das ist eine Reaktion auf das Versagen der traditionellen Medien" by Marcus Kloeckner
Interview with Michael Meyen about German media.
Post edited March 07, 2018 by viperfdl
"La desdichada" a translation into Spanish of the Russian novel Hесчастная by Iván Turgueniev.
Article: Die "einfache Welt" der Leitmedien by Paul Schreyer
This is a comment on a Spiegel-article about the crisis of trust in the media.

Edit:
Satire: "Wir lassen uns Diesel nicht verderben!" by Jens Lehrich

Edit:
Orwell 2.0 by Markus Fiedler

Edit (08.03.2018):
Article: Putin fordert strategische Parität und Respekt by Ray McGovern
A translation of this text: Putin Claims Strategic Parity, Respect
Post edited March 08, 2018 by viperfdl
Re-reading Cryptonomicon
Azar Gat, Nations. The long history and deep roots of political ethnicity and nationalism.

Interesting book about nationalism, takes the position that its basis lies in evolutionarily shaped basic human behaviour patterns, and that it isn't a modern phenomenon, as is often claimed, but has been common from the earliest historical times. Pretty good so far.
The House of the Dead by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Article: Der beste aller Linken by Roberto J. De Lapuente
About the arrogance in the German left.

Edit:
Article: Akademischer Wahnsinn by Rubikons Jugendredaktion
A report of a student about his university.

Edit (12.03.2018)
Article: "Saemtliche synthetischen Gifte in der Landwirtschaft gehoeren verboten" by Marcus Kloeckner.
An interview with the beekeeper Timm Koch.

Edit:
Article: Die Legalisierung der Tyrannei by Chris Hedges, translation by David Elwing
A translation of Legalizing Tyranny

Edit:
Article: The hijacking of economics by Lucia Huber

Edit (13.03.2018):
Article: Was tun gegen die Kriegsgefahr? by Ulrich Heyden
An interview with the Russian journalist Konstantin Sjomin on how to prevent a war.
Post edited March 13, 2018 by viperfdl
Notre-Dame de Paris by Victor Hugo.