It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Rule book for a light, violent RPG called Hollowpoint. I want to play this as soon as possible. But first, I'll need about 100 6 sided dice.
Warcraft: War of the Ancients Trilogy... ~30 pages in, loving it so far.
kavazovangel: Warcraft: War of the Ancients Trilogy... ~30 pages in, loving it so far.
Those books are great. Nothing that will win many awards, but they are pretty good. probably the best Warcraft books that Knaak made.
Some time ago I read 'Elminster - the making of a mage', the story of Elminster's youth and how he became to be a mage. It was nice reading, it's fun to read a story in the same world that Baldur's Gate takes place. But it's literary quality is at the best quite decent, is my opinion. It's not in the same realm as top-writers like Moorcock, Leiber or Pratchett.

*edit: talking about Pratchett: I finished 'The Light Fantastic' just yesterday.
Post edited March 03, 2012 by DubConqueror
David Eddings... Eh ... The one about Belgarion (not sure what the english title is) Book 7 right now.
Just read The Hunger Games in preperatin for the upcoming film adaptation. Got the other 2 tomes but i don;t know if i should see the movie first or read the whole series first.

Also I'm in the middle of Wise Man's Fear and Dance of Dragons, mostly becasue the books were split into two parts in my country.

I see some Dresden Files fans a few post above me. I'm highly considering picking them up in the original english because just 5 of them were released here a long time ago and right now a new translation has finally started, but it's only at book 2 right now, so it'll be like 1 year or more before they get to Blood Rites.
About to start reading The Emperor's Finest (a 40K novel centered on Ciaphas Cain) and then The Fall by Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan.
Tizzysawr: May I recommend reading the Dark Elf Trilogy first? I first tried to read The Crystal Shard about five years ago and just couldn't get into it. Fast forward to now, reading it with the whole background on Drizzt in my mind and better knowledge of what's happening and I'm quite enjoying it :)
Started The Crystal Shard after all. I don't have the Dark Elf Trilogy yet, but I did bought The Crystal Shard half a year ago. My reasoning was, it being the first book written bij Salvatore, I start reading where he started writing. So far, I like his style of writing, it captivates me.

I quit reading 'The blood of Java' (my translation) by Paul Koetsier. Not enough coleur locale, too vague. Seems like a book by someone who attempts to write a thriller taking place in Java, with only a superficial knowledge about the country. I don't like thrillers, but bought it to get to know the atmosphere of Indonesia better. In that respect, the book failed.

Another book I quit reading: 'Atlas shrugged' by Ayn Rand. It's a horrible book, making caricature's of those who opose the neo-liberal ideology. It's an easy read, but I can't read it without all the bad side-effects of this wretched ideology constantly flashing through my head and I abhor the thesis everyone should only think of their own interest 'and all will come for the best'. Look at what ruin neo-liberalism brought us to 30 years after the book was written and treated like a bible! Climate change, economical crisis, vast gap between the rich and the poor, destruction of the environment etc. etc. Enough! Time to flee back into fantasy worlds. I have a hard time maintaing the will to live in this wretched neo-liberal hell that Holland is becoming.
Post edited March 05, 2012 by DubConqueror
lowyhong: We have so much in common! I love the Dresden series, and I think Ghost Story is Jim's best story yet. You should post in my Ghost Story thread, over here, so we can discuss more about the series lol.

I'm still looking for a copy of For Heaven's Eyes Only; of the first 4 Secret Histories books I read, The Spy Who Haunted Me is the best one IMO. The ending is so badass, it's nothing short of what I'd expect from Eddie Drood.
Gibush: Dudemanbro!
I just ordered the second box set (books 4-6) of the Dresden Files.
My thoughts so far:
Storm Front:: Pretttyyy good, not really chomping at the bit for the next one
Fool Moon:: Similar, maybe a little bit better than the first, a solid series
Grave Peril:: By the end: Holy shit this is a fun story, I want to know more about what happens to these characters GIVE ME BOOK 4 FOR THE LOVE OF GOD
Keep going - it just gets better and better.
wwee: Also just received Ghost of a smile in the mail last week so will probably be reading that next after I finish Jim Butchers Ghost Story (Dresden File 13). This is a really good series - start from book 1 - Storm Front. Highly recommended.
lowyhong: We have so much in common! I love the Dresden series, and I think Ghost Story is Jim's best story yet. You should post in my Ghost Story thread, over here, so we can discuss more about the series lol.

I'm still looking for a copy of For Heaven's Eyes Only; of the first 4 Secret Histories books I read, The Spy Who Haunted Me is the best one IMO. The ending is so badass, it's nothing short of what I'd expect from Eddie Drood.
You might be interested in Justin Gustainis Black Magic Woman. Its an interesting read.
Post edited March 05, 2012 by wwee
I decided to relive my childhood so I have started reading a couple of classics that I read back in school. Currently reading To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee after that I want to read One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey and Catch 22 by Joseph Heller. Should be a good couple of weeks.
Kerrien: I decided to relive my childhood so I have started reading a couple of classics that I read back in school. Currently reading To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee after that I want to read One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey and Catch 22 by Joseph Heller. Should be a good couple of weeks.
You have been reading them as part of school lesson, or just during your school years?
Kerrien: I decided to relive my childhood so I have started reading a couple of classics that I read back in school. Currently reading To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee after that I want to read One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey and Catch 22 by Joseph Heller. Should be a good couple of weeks.
Artemis_E: You have been reading them as part of school lesson, or just during your school years?
I had to read To Kill a Mockingbird and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest as part of my english classes but I just read Catch 22 during my school years.
Artemis_E: You have been reading them as part of school lesson, or just during your school years?
Kerrien: I had to read To Kill a Mockingbird and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest as part of my english classes but I just read Catch 22 during my school years.
Pretty awesome.
We didn't have anything post 1918 in our schools (Aside for some IIWW holocaust literature).

It's not that we didn't had important stuff - but simply there were nothing that could intresest a casual reader.
Hence very low percentage of polish people read books at all:(
Yeah I always enjoyed my classes because the books we had to read were all great :). I can't think of anything that I didn't find interesting to read for my english class.
Currently reading Bioshock : Rapture, its the origin story behind the city and Andrew Ryan. Really good and adds loads to the universe. Also reading Jack Higgins Storm Warning in small bits as it can be a little heavy to read at times.