It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

i just started reading The Mime Order by Samantha Shannon, it is the second book in The Bone Season series
Been a bit adrift in reading of late, as nothing was really grabbing my interest. Finally settled on a re-reading of C.J. Cherryh's excellent Downbelow Station, so I'm about 1/4 of the way through that right now.
Currently "Redemption of Light" Book 3 of the Gamant chronicles from Kathleen O Neill
Sci Fi about holocaust and the rebellion of survivers in the Year 5400 / David against Goliath
or rebels against empire with starships. Some good ideas some not so believable decisions
and sometimes a bit too much explicit in the cruel ways of empire - no book for youngsters

GR00T: Been a bit adrift in reading of late, as nothing was really grabbing my interest. Finally settled on a re-reading of C.J. Cherryh's excellent Downbelow Station, so I'm about 1/4 of the way through that right now.
I have several books of Cherryh and every one had really good fiction and pace so i have another one to check out Thanks
German translation of "The Lazarus War: Legion" by Jamie Sawyer
Just finishing Krfotok by Edward Redliński - alternative history of Poland. Well, history was never very gracious for our country and nation, so "what would happen if" literature is some kind of therapy for us ;)
GR00T: Been a bit adrift in reading of late, as nothing was really grabbing my interest. Finally settled on a re-reading of C.J. Cherryh's excellent Downbelow Station, so I'm about 1/4 of the way through that right now.
How does that compare to the Chanur Saga? I loved that series, but didn't like the Faded Sun trilogy at all. I kept waiting for the book to pick up the pacing, but it never did.
Well, I`m reading "Lustrum" from Robert Harris and "Monster Hunter International:Legion" from Larry Correia.
Both are very different, but good. First one is some political thriller that takes place in the old roman empire, the other one is an action packed story about professional monster hunters in the modern USA.
viperfdl: Currently I'm reading the German translation of "The End of All Things" of the "Old Man's War" series by John Scalzi.
Oh, I only own the first four books, up to "Zwischen den Sternen". How good are the two following books in the cycle?
Post edited April 28, 2017 by Maxvorstadt
viperfdl: Currently I'm reading the German translation of "The End of All Things" of the "Old Man's War" series by John Scalzi.
Maxvorstadt: Oh, I only own the first four books, up to "Zwischen den Sternen". How good are the two following books in the cycle?
I can't remember much about the fifth book but the sixth book was quite okay.
I have real problem picking books back up if i don't manage to finish them in a single day. Hence why i as a rule i shy away from anything with 300 pages at max. Still in the process of reading Stephen Baxter's Behemoth trilogy, currently stuck halfway of book 2, Longtusk. Also still wanna finish reading Clare Bell's The Named books, curently stuck on book 4, Ratha's Challenge.

One very long series i did manage to finish because i couldn't put it down at all was Derek Landy's Skulduggery Pleasant. Anybody who has any love for Buffy-esque stories and hasn't read Skulduggery Pleasant yet what are you doing with your life. Go read Skulduggery Pleasant. Derek Landy is basically irish Joss Whedon.
LittleCritter: I have real problem picking books back up if i don't manage to finish them in a single day.
There is no such spectacular problems in my case. The only books I can finish during one day are short stories which I read for my kids ;)

However I sometimes suffer the similar issue - I'm avoiding longer lectures, because I'm afraid I won't be able to finish them fast enough. And, indeed, with time it becomes harder to finish the book, even if it's particularly interesting.
Celton88: How does that compare to the Chanur Saga? I loved that series, but didn't like the Faded Sun trilogy at all. I kept waiting for the book to pick up the pacing, but it never did.
It's (Downbelow) actually part of the same universe as Chanur, although I believe the time line is before the events of Chanur. This is the formation of the Union/Alliance setting that split humanity into three factions: the Union, the Merchanter's Alliance, and Old Earth (if memory serves, Tully was Earth).

It's much better than the Faded Sun series (but Faded Sun was an earlier work of Cherryh's, I believe, so she was still getting her groove).

Honestly though, the Chanur series is probably my favorite of hers and one of my favorite sci-fi series of all time. But Downbelow is certainly worth checking out. If you enjoy it, you should also look at the Cyteen series as well as 40,000 in Gehenna and Merchanter's Luck.
Just finished "Seveneves" by Neal Stephenson. Very interesting premise that takes you on three distinct journeys of speculation. I liked it, though it's not his best stuff.

Going to pick something a little lighter for the next book, though I also have Hugh Howey's "Dust" calling out to me. Maybe more Elmore Leonard to go between the two.
I just finished Imperium, from Christian Kracht. It had all that monkey island vibe in it. Best book I've read this year so far.
Many plusses to C.J. Cherryh's texts.

I am reading through a pile of these: http://www.sergiobonelli.it/sezioni/22/lilith
Started reading the German translation of Slagtebænk Dybbøl by Tom Buk-Swienty - a book about the siege and the following battle of Dybbøl in 1864.