It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

*Leisure Suit Larry is reading educational material!!*

*Wink* *Wink*
Post edited April 20, 2015 by bluesky777
Cat and Mouse by Günter Grass.
The Light Fantastic (Discworld #2) by Terry Pratchett...a little belated as I started reading it after I finished the first book in the series on 6 April...this one taking me a little longer.
Låt den rätte komma in by John Arjvide Lindqvist (Let the right one in). Not my usual pick of novel but I really enjoyed the movie. Halfway through and it's an excellent book!
Post edited April 21, 2015 by Segelbranth09
I was reading Fall of Giants by Ken Follett. Then my wife read some, decided she really liked it, and I'm back to Lovecraft til she finishes.

That Stalingrad book I was reading a few posts ago was excellent, by the way.
Finished Reamde (hard to put down) and am now on "Pagan Babies" by Elmore Leonard.

animalmother2105: Army at Dawn by Rick Atkinson.
I need to find the third book. Er, buy it. Already found it but didn't buy it for some dumb reason.
I FINALLY... Found. The. "Bansenshukai"!!! Translated in English! I am going to DEVOUR it!

Now, wait a second, where am i going to find rare, exotic, local ingredients to half a globe far away...?!??!!?
Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe.
Wool Omnibus Edition by Hugh Howey. Also, the lady stopped by a bookstore while out with a friend yesterday, and she brought me home a copy of The Mind's Eye by Oliver Sacks, which I'll be starting tonight. :)
Just started reading "Ringworld" by Larry Niven. Haven't gotten far into it yet but so far it looks good. Louis Wu kinda reminds me of Ford from "Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy".

I also tried the first book in the "Wheel of time" series but I had to stop after reading about a third of it because there were too many things about it that annoyed me. First, I didn't like the characters. They felt a little too simplistic and cliche, they didn't feel believable to me. Second, the magic annoyed me more than I thought it would. I mean, it felt like everytime they got into real trouble then suddenly magic and the problem was solved.

I have read the "A song of ice and fire" books and liked them. They are perhaps overly dramatic in certain places but I liked the more nuanced characters and the more faction/political based conflict. So if anyone could recommend me a fantasy series more in line with "A song of ice and fire" I would be thankful. That is, the world is more "real", less good vs evil and as little magic as possible (to avoid deus ex machina situations). Well defined abilities would be ok, e.g. abilites granted by the one ring in "Lord of the rings" or skinchagers in "A song of ice and fire".
Post edited April 24, 2015 by rotorde
Finished reading this Italian edition of Vanity Fair by William M. Thackeray, a true and still enjoyable classic of the European/British literature. 4/5, sometimes Thackeray writes funny and weird stuff though - like being in the story as the author, meeting the fictional characters he created. Weird, indeed.
Heh heh heh... I found some ultra rare, translated into english, texts, on the extinct TACHIKAWA RYU school practices and beliefs! By the snake girl goddess, this is the most amazing religious corpus to have ever existed and it is both pitiful and a shame that it got banned and persecuted.

Rumors have it that it survived underground... Sigh, i wish i could meet fellows on that path.
Post edited April 27, 2015 by KiNgBrAdLeY7
IDW Transformer comics. :D They are excellent.

Also a book called Twinmaker.
Post edited April 27, 2015 by Krelk
Right now, I'm re-reading "The Shining", by SK.

I read it the first time over ten years ago, when I was 17 and I remember not enjoying it THAT much, but then again that was a pretty dark time in my life. Trying to see if ten years later my view of the novel might change.
HereForTheBeer: Finished Reamde (hard to put down) and am now on "Pagan Babies" by Elmore Leonard.

animalmother2105: Army at Dawn by Rick Atkinson.
HereForTheBeer: I need to find the third book. Er, buy it. Already found it but didn't buy it for some dumb reason.
I really enjoyed Reamde, picked it up because it was nice and thick, Never heard of the author before that tbh, but it is an excellent read.