It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

MartynD88: I'm currently reading through Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton again until I can afford an e-book reader.

What e-book reader would you guys recommend?
misteryo: I have been using the Kindle app on my phone quite happily.
I also use the kindle app, it is a good one.
Gunsang: Great book. Seeing as you're from Ireland I assume it has the 21st chapter? Kubrick's film and many versions released in the U.S. are missing the last chapter. Certainly gives it a different feel.
Yes, I had the version with the original ending. Removing that chapter in the US version was a huge mistake, though I do wonder how it would have felt to read the US book without knowing there is actually a chapter missing.
Steven Erikson's Toll the Hounds (Book 8 in his fantasy epic The Malazan Book of the Fallen) I've finished a couple of days ago. Overall enjoyable, albeit not great like some past instalments in the series. I think he's guilty of overdoing moments of self-reflection with almost all of the characters in this one, where close to every sub-chapter begins with a melancholic introspection, that's often cleverly written and interesting, but became a chore to wade through in later parts of the book, because it's been used so much.

Still, now I can't stop I feel after having invested that much time in the series, I ordered Dust of Dreams to learn how the story plays out further. I own the Bantam paperback of Toll the Hounds (ISBN13: 9780553813197), which has OK-sized fonts, but is the first of these regular cheap paperbacks of Malazan books where the spine broke on my first read-through (still alright to get, if you don't wanna spend the money for a hardcover).
The count of MonteChristo. I revise it carefully. After all, brilliant writers, find inspiration from real events. Or maybe readers, can get inspiration, from brilliant writers instead.....
Reading "The Line of Polity" by Neal Asher.
Just got a much-anticipated book: The Slow Regard of Silent Things, a novella by Patrick Rothfuss.

Fellow readers of the Kingkiller Chronicles who somehow haven't heard of this book being released in late October should really take heed. It features the vagabond sewer-dweller Auri, who became one of my favorite characters in the two books. I hope it makes for a fine appetizer while awaiting the main course...the Doors of Stone, the final book in the trilogy.
Post edited November 05, 2014 by Ragnarblackmane
Aside from a bunch of books for college...

I'm trying to read Metro 2033 but it's long and I've been reading so much for college reading isn't really as fun anymore :(
MartynD88: I'm currently reading through Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton again until I can afford an e-book reader.

What e-book reader would you guys recommend?
I have a nook simple touch glowlight, I think its great. I don't think you would go wrong with a kindle either. I went with nook primarily due to being able to read .epub books from the library, but this can be done with .mobi files for the kindle now (and easier I think). I don't buy many books from B&N, I mostly aim for DRM free copies if I'm purchasing.

I just finished up the Silo Saga by Hugh Howey, I thought the series was great. I think one big reason I enjoyed it was due to how the world ended up the way it did in the book. It seemed to me that nature and thought process of the leaders fit that of current governments very well.

I also just finished High-Opp by Frank Herbert, which I enjoyed as well. The end reminded me of Leto's plan from the Dune series.
NOS4ATU By Joe Hill, very like Stephen King for obvious reasons, good read all the same, but not as creepy as Heart Shaped Box.
I was reading the script of Escape In L.A
It's awesome, especially the part where it says , "as Snake Plisskin is gliding through the battlefield of scorching man while wielding and shooting an Uzi, as he land the lands citizens begin to shit themselves to they know of their impendable demise"
"The Voyages of Captain Hatteras," by Jules Verne. Much of the science is pretty hilarious, and all of the racism is not, but it's a great story, even if it requires some forgiving from my vantage in the Modern Age.
Finished reading part 1 of 4 of the complete collection of short stories by Richard Matheson, written between 1950 and 1953. 5/5, the more I read Matheson's books, the more I like this author.
Eternity Road by Jack McDevitt.

It does not require any suspension of disbelief, it requires disbelief to be shot, burned and spread across the oceans.

I've read about 4/5 of it and I hope the end explains everything but I'm not holding my breath since that's not really McDevitt's style.

Edit: Finished it and I was right, I think it's the last of his books that I'll read, it's too bad because some of his short stories were good.
Post edited December 08, 2014 by justanoldgamer
Plan to pick up a book I had on hold at my local library to read today called Lowball edited by Melinda M. Snodgrass and George R.R. Martin. It's an anthology of stories set in the Wildcards Universe. It is the direct sequel to Fort Freak, a fantastic read about the gritty underdealings of the Jokertown area in relation to the Fort Freak police station. My expectations are that it'll deal more on the other character's personal issues in life and less on the police station in the area as opposed to the prior book. I'll more than likely update this post with my halfway thoughts when I get the chance. I haven't been disappointed so far in the books I read so far in the series that so I am pretty sure this book will deliver too. Here is more information in case you are interested:

http://www.amazon.com/Lowball-A-Wild-Cards-Novel/dp/0765331950
Post edited December 07, 2014 by shadowrgog
Baptism of Fire and there is explained how the secret lodge of sorceresses established itself over the war between the Nilfgaardian empire against all other kingdoms and especially the elves.

This was just suddenly revealed in Witcher2 by Triss like "Oh btw. I meet with witches and mages from the other kingdoms once in a while and we conspire against all kingdoms and empires to the benefit of sorcery."
Post edited December 09, 2014 by disi