It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

darthyip: Right now I'm in the middle of both The Martian by Andy Weir and Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie. The Martian is winning in the pure enjoyment category for me.
I was looking at The Martian a few days ago and was trying to decide whether to buy it or not. How are you liking the book so far? I assume since you are enjoying it then it will be a good read?
After I read 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami, I started reading A Wild Sheep Chase and right now I'm reading the sequel Dance Dance Dance. Up next, all his other books.
darthyip: Right now I'm in the middle of both The Martian by Andy Weir and Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie. The Martian is winning in the pure enjoyment category for me.
ddickinson: I was looking at The Martian a few days ago and was trying to decide whether to buy it or not. How are you liking the book so far? I assume since you are enjoying it then it will be a good read?
Definitely recommend it. I feel the main character (which you spend the vast majority of time with) is engagingly written. Even through the more science oriented parts, he injects a lot of humor into it. I never felt bored through these parts.

If you read the preview they have on Amazon, it's a pretty good indicator of how the rest of the book reads (though the preview ends at an odd spot). Or at least how the approximately 60% I've completed so far reads.
darthyip: Definitely recommend it. I feel the main character (which you spend the vast majority of time with) is engagingly written. Even through the more science oriented parts, he injects a lot of humor into it. I never felt bored through these parts.

If you read the preview they have on Amazon, it's a pretty good indicator of how the rest of the book reads (though the preview ends at an odd spot). Or at least how the approximately 60% I've completed so far reads.
Thank you for the reply, I will pick up a copy over the weekend. It will be good to read the novel before the movie adaptation comes out and they end up re-releasing it to better coincide with the movie version, which they seem to do quite often with Sci-Fi books.
the_atm: I'm currently reading "Total War Rome, Destroy Cathage" There honestly isn't enough good historical fiction books set during the rise of Roman...

But up next is Metro 2033... or 1984... I should probably finish that first I supose...
Ragnarblackmane: Oh, I actually got a review copy of that book last year and would be curious to know your impressions.

This is part of my full review, this snippet was what I wrote on my goodreads page:

"It's evident that the author really knows his ancient military history and also fetishizes the Roman Empire as many antiquarian authors and historians do. Unfortunately that zeal didn't help him develop his characters in complex and interesting ways.Gibbins tends to use character dialogue to explain ideas and the implications for Rome. While I'm certain that many of the ruling class had conversations like that, I doubt they had them ad nausea.It reduces the characters to mere set-pieces.I wish rather than reading of the aftermath or having his characters discussing much of the battles and glossing over big parts, he would actually describe them.Though it's extremely difficult to do so given that there's hardly any documentation from the period, the man could use his imagination with his knowledge of these events like most historical novelists.
The final scenes and descriptions of the Battle of Carthage finally impressed upon me that this man could have written a much more exhilarating novel.

I'm of the opinion that reading nonfiction by archaelogist David Gibbins would be fascinating and insightful but this book has proven none of the former."
Haven't read it all the way through yet, I'm only on chapter 2 (I think) but so far it's really good. He does know his ancient Roman history that's for sure. My only issue is sometimes he'll throw out a roman word or phrase and I'll forget what it means... other than that it's great so far.
grimwerk: I tried to get the Witcher books from my library this week, but our library network does not have them.

So I borrowed Night Watch and Day Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko instead. I really enjoyed both films. The English translation is okay. The writing isn't very exciting, but I do like the story. I wonder how much better it'd be in the original Russian.
Punished_Snake: I almost completed fourth book now, but...okay, is very eay to read, but the plot just stopped. I mean, there are maybe two main events during the book, and then there are tons of useless chaters, or anyway chapters simply too long in which there's an event and then a lot of useless pages.
Oh dear. I'll have to enjoy it while I still can, then!
Started reading Consider Phlebas by Ian M. Banks the first book in the Space Opera Culture series. Quite a lot of twist already in the beginning - seems to be a very interesting book.
Hi guys i am currently reading Hiperion from Den Simons and for now i really like the book. :) awesome sf book
Reading Brave New World. Was already quite disturbed by page 15, so, so far, so good.
Post edited August 23, 2014 by Crewdroog
Crewdroog: Reading Brave New World. Was already quite disturbed by page 15, so, so far, so good.
Oooh, I need to dust up my copy, being so long ago. I remember I was a bit disappointed towards the end, but I can't recall exactly why. :D

I'm reading The Gun Seller, Hugh Laurie's first book, about a quarter in so far and is an absolute delight. Hopefully it will keep on giving 'till the end.
I finished Interviews with the Lower Strata of Chinese Society by Liao Yiwu, a very interesting book with various interviews with ordinary chinese people on the poor side or the shady side of society about their life experiences.
And now I'm reading Clive Barker's books of blood.
ddickinson: I was looking at The Martian a few days ago and was trying to decide whether to buy it or not. How are you liking the book so far? I assume since you are enjoying it then it will be a good read?
I'm reading this book at the moment and enjoying it very much.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0962118532/ref=s9_psimh_gw_p14_d4_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1Y09QA2AXY7V472KP7BB&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1688200382&pf_rd_i=507846
Started to read The Da Vinci Code a few days ago after finish Angels & Demons.
"Äiti-Venäjän aapinen"
http://www.atenakustannus.fi/kirjat/kirja/178

Translate to something like "The ABC to mother Russia". Book about Russia and russian culture, written by finnish journalist who has lived there for long time and apparently speaks the language pretty well.
I'm reading (re-reading) Without Remorse by Tom Clancy. The book tells the story of how John Clark became well, John Clark. He later became the head of Rainbow. But WR is basically a revenge story about getting back at the criminals who murdered his girlfriend. Very good read and one of Clancy's best.