It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

New features, local currency option, new payment methods, store credit, and an updated look for GOG.com!

For almost six years now we strive to bring you not only the best in DRM-Free gaming, but also to give you the greatest experience possible. To that end we're always looking for ways to improve our site and service. Today, we're rolling out a vastly updated version of our store with an improved interface, sleek new look, and lots of handy new features. Let's take a quick tour, shall we?

Video: Welcome to the fresher, better GOG.com!

First of all we are giving you more DRM-free content: movies! We are starting with 20 documentaries about internet and gaming culture but we aim high! You can find more on this in the appropriate newspost, so let's focus on the other features we're rolling out.

We wanted to give you more choice as to how you pay for things on GOG.com. Now it's up to you if you want to pay in US Dollars, or in the currency primarily used in your country, whether it's the Euro, Pounds Sterling, Australian Dollars, or Russian Roubles. That's four new currencies supported by GOG.com for your convenience. Still - the choice is yours, so if you want to stick to US dollars, just switch to it - you find this option at the bottom of each page. To make buying things at GOG.com an even more flexible process, we're introducing some new payment methods: Sofort, Giropay, Webmoney, and Yandex.

All this also means that users for whom the local currency pricing has been enabled will have an option to select one of two different prices for each game in our catalog. Of course, we stand by the simple truth that $1 does not equal 1€, so a game with a $5.99 price tag will cost 4.49 Euro, 3.69 British Pounds, 6.49 Australian Dollars, and 219 Roubles respectively. $9.99 translates to 7.49 Euro, 5.99 Pounds Sterling, 10.89 Australian Dollars, and 359 Roubles. In a perfect world we would apply the same method of pricing to all of the games we offer. However, things are a little bit more complicated, and there are some games in our catalog that follow a different region-based pricing scheme. However, we wouldn't be GOG.com if we didn't find a way to make right by the users who end up paying relatively more for such titles. Here's where the Fair Price Package comes in!

The Fair Price Package applies to all of the titles which we couldn't include in our standard pricing scheme. If you end up paying more for a game than its standard US Dollar price, we'll refund you the difference out of our own pocket. The refunded value will be added to your account in Store Credit in the currency of your purchase. That's right, no more gift codes, you'll be getting Store Credit that you can use to purchase anything on GOG.com or partially pay for an item that's more expensive. More choice, ease of use, and less limitations!

Finally, the GOG.com store has gotten itself a substantial visual revamp. We went for a fresh, mobile-friendly design that should make it even easier to find the games you want, notice the hot promos, and see what's new. The main page, catalog view, product pages, and checkout have been updated and also lay the groundwork for even more overhaul, coming within the next few months together with many of the GOG Galaxy features. We hope you like it!

PS. Unfortunately, we need to drop some titles from our classic catalog. In such cases, we always do our best to give you an advance warning and a last chance to purchase such games - preferably with a considerable discount. Check this news post to find out which titles are being removed from our catalog, when will it happen, and what parting discounts for them do we currently offer.
Post edited August 27, 2014 by G-Doc
Mail server going crazy again - just got an email about a pm from another gog user from 3 weeks ago. Fix this bloody site finally.
shmerl: MS got a lot of criticism for the poor design in Windows 8. Same goes for Unity and early versions of Gnome 3. Not sure if they learned their lessons, but others surely can take note in order to avoid similar pitfalls.
jalister: The really sad part is MS got a lot of criticism about Metro well before it was actually released as Modern UI. And they still released that mess. Even more shocking, Modern UI is also on Windows Server 2012. Someone needs to get kicked for that one.
Not sad to me, since a lot of users left Windows for Linux because they couldn't stand Windows 8 mess ;) But in case of GOG I hope it won't turn users away, at least GOG should take note and improve it.
Post edited August 29, 2014 by shmerl
mrkgnao: Great work, Wurzelkraft. Words of wisdom, one by one.

Just be thankful that you don't have to read the HTML behind this mess to figure out how to harvest the data for MaGog.
Such amazing bloat. So many useless tags. Such duplication of information. Painful.
Darvond: So you're saying that this wasn't made by a web designer, but a marketing executive?
I'm sure it was done by a web designer, most probably using some web design application linked to a database (many of the database fields are plainly seen in the HTML). Not sure how experienced a web designer. But it does not seem to have been used by any real web users before release.

I still don't understand what the rush was to release this half-baked "new look".
rtcvb32: News is on the left side instead of the right now, while the games is swapped to be on the right side... Kinda disorienting...
This was the first thing I noticed and I think it's wrong way to do it. If this site was about gaming news or a blog then it would make sense to have game news on the left side because people use pages from top left (To clarify, your eyes focus first on the left and then move to the right, possibly because most people learn to read left to right). Instead games should be on the left side because it's a game store with the purpose of selling games and that should be the focus.
Matruchus: Mail server going crazy again - just got an email about a pm from another gog user from 3 weeks ago. Fix this bloody site finally.
That issue has been around for quite sometime and they haven't fixed it yet. When it does happen it seems to be at random. A couple of weeks ago I got between 8-10 emailed messages at 1 per hour on the hour.

On top of that they added a whole new mess of problems with this update.
Darvond: So you're saying that this wasn't made by a web designer, but a marketing executive?
mrkgnao: I'm sure it was done by a web designer, most probably using some web design application linked to a database (many of the database fields are plainly seen in the HTML). Not sure how experienced a web designer. But it does not seem to have been used by any real web users before release.

I still don't understand what the rush was to release this half-baked "new look".
I'm guessing it has something to do with the release of Galaxy client. Probably want to get the "new look" out as soon as possible before the release of the client because all this is part of the so called new GOG. It feels rushed and there should have been a beta version for members to test out and help finding bugs and make suggestions.
JudasIscariot: You should be able to file reviews. Please try a couple of things before writing a support ticket:

Clearing your browser's cookies and cache.
Logging out and logging back in.

If that doesn't help, please file a support ticket here:

http://www.gog.com/support/contact/general_website_questions

Make sure to select "website glitches or accessibility issues" from the drop down menu :)
Ok, that didn't help so I filed a support ticket. Thanks. :)
Aningan: Is this a problem just with tablets? Cause it works fine on my phone. I have a typical menu button on the left side which opens up with all options, including Logout. See the screenshot.

I have a Note 3 with KitKat and I tested on the default browser and Chrome.
I noticed the same when testing the site on my wife's phone. The layout is somewhat different, and the menu buttons are on the left. On the TF101 tablet, the buttons were on the top, like on the PC. I used Firefox on both.

I wonder how the site determines which layout to use? Based on detected resolution? I have noticed with some other sites that by default they offer the desktop version of the web page on the tablet, but a simplified mobile version on a phone.
EnforcerSunWoo: On top of that they added a whole new mess of problems with this update.
Its not just the glitches, buggs and lacking features that are a problem its the functionality and very bad design of the website. Personally I would prefer if they would take the site down and put it in beta mode for a few months and let us use the old site till the new one is ready and usable. The only good thing is that they kept the forums as they were - only the same light grey background was added as on every page.
Post edited August 29, 2014 by Matruchus
high rated
Wurzelkraft: You are right. Added it. (right below the screenshot box)

Yes. So much yes!
I also think that the rating is misplaced under the user reviews and should be moved up.

shmerl: [...]

The proper methodology should require either separate designs for desktop and mobile, or adaptable design which adjusts dynamically according to the screen size. Both methods are fine, but "one size fits all" is not!
How true, but it'd appear that it's too late now.
rtcvb32: edit: I just really noticed how big the buttons are and how big each dropdown menu item is... That's huge... Which only makes sense to use if you're using a tablet...
The layout doesn't even work on a tablet, at least not on a rather low-res one. The famous menu bar is even more a problem there. You probably need at least HD resolution and landscape mode to render the page properly.
Attachments:
portrait.jpg (63 Kb)
EnforcerSunWoo: On top of that they added a whole new mess of problems with this update.
Matruchus: Its not just the glitches, buggs and lacking features that are a problem its the functionality and very bad design of the website. Personally I would prefer if they would take the site down and put it in beta mode for a few months and let us use the old site till the new one is ready and usable.
I can't even make a purchase because something with the checkout is broken, have yet to hear back on my support ticket even. So, I am all for them pulling the new site even temporarily until they get this fixed.
EnforcerSunWoo: I can't even make a purchase because something with the checkout is broken, have yet to hear back on my support ticket even. So, I am all for them pulling the new site even temporarily until they get this fixed.
I don't know its obvious that they rushed the page coming from the design of it. It looks as if they took glue and tryed to glue together parts that don't fit together. With the way the website is now it will take months before it becomes usable and gets the recquiered functionality. Actually it remembers of the state that Total War: Rome 2 was at release and someting like this should never happen to a webstore. The only thing they really did was to implement the owned button but not particularly well since it now blocks the price of the game and the most needed basic feature - notifications is still not working as it should.
Post edited August 29, 2014 by Matruchus
EnforcerSunWoo: I can't even make a purchase because something with the checkout is broken, have yet to hear back on my support ticket even. So, I am all for them pulling the new site even temporarily until they get this fixed.
Matruchus: I don't know its obvious that they rushed the page coming from the design of it. It looks as if they took glue and tryed to glue together parts that don't fit together. With the way the website is now it will take months before it becomes usable and gets the recquiered functionality. The only thing they really did was to implement the owned button but not particularly well since it now blocks the price of the game and the most needed basic feature - notifications is still not working as it should.
All I know is that I am getting extremely disgusted by this. At this rate I won't even be able to make the purchase of Freedom Force before it disappears from the catalog.
mrkgnao: I'm sure it was done by a web designer, most probably using some web design application linked to a database (many of the database fields are plainly seen in the HTML). Not sure how experienced a web designer. But it does not seem to have been used by any real web users before release.

That is indeed a large question we'll likely have to wait for another backpedal letter for.

But when I feel that KurtJmac of Far Lands or Bust could make a better website...

...I feel that they might want to look into hiring outside of Poland, if they already haven't.

Also, I've never understood the idea behind website design software that simply slaps you across the face with templates. When you can literally make a website in the most basic of text editors like VI, or EDIT, there's really no excuse for sloppy work. Especially in editors like EMACS, kWrite, and Notepad++ where they highlight syntax and can help in correcting errors and redundancies.