It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

New features, local currency option, new payment methods, store credit, and an updated look for GOG.com!

For almost six years now we strive to bring you not only the best in DRM-Free gaming, but also to give you the greatest experience possible. To that end we're always looking for ways to improve our site and service. Today, we're rolling out a vastly updated version of our store with an improved interface, sleek new look, and lots of handy new features. Let's take a quick tour, shall we?

Video: Welcome to the fresher, better GOG.com!

First of all we are giving you more DRM-free content: movies! We are starting with 20 documentaries about internet and gaming culture but we aim high! You can find more on this in the appropriate newspost, so let's focus on the other features we're rolling out.

We wanted to give you more choice as to how you pay for things on GOG.com. Now it's up to you if you want to pay in US Dollars, or in the currency primarily used in your country, whether it's the Euro, Pounds Sterling, Australian Dollars, or Russian Roubles. That's four new currencies supported by GOG.com for your convenience. Still - the choice is yours, so if you want to stick to US dollars, just switch to it - you find this option at the bottom of each page. To make buying things at GOG.com an even more flexible process, we're introducing some new payment methods: Sofort, Giropay, Webmoney, and Yandex.

All this also means that users for whom the local currency pricing has been enabled will have an option to select one of two different prices for each game in our catalog. Of course, we stand by the simple truth that $1 does not equal 1€, so a game with a $5.99 price tag will cost 4.49 Euro, 3.69 British Pounds, 6.49 Australian Dollars, and 219 Roubles respectively. $9.99 translates to 7.49 Euro, 5.99 Pounds Sterling, 10.89 Australian Dollars, and 359 Roubles. In a perfect world we would apply the same method of pricing to all of the games we offer. However, things are a little bit more complicated, and there are some games in our catalog that follow a different region-based pricing scheme. However, we wouldn't be GOG.com if we didn't find a way to make right by the users who end up paying relatively more for such titles. Here's where the Fair Price Package comes in!

The Fair Price Package applies to all of the titles which we couldn't include in our standard pricing scheme. If you end up paying more for a game than its standard US Dollar price, we'll refund you the difference out of our own pocket. The refunded value will be added to your account in Store Credit in the currency of your purchase. That's right, no more gift codes, you'll be getting Store Credit that you can use to purchase anything on GOG.com or partially pay for an item that's more expensive. More choice, ease of use, and less limitations!

Finally, the GOG.com store has gotten itself a substantial visual revamp. We went for a fresh, mobile-friendly design that should make it even easier to find the games you want, notice the hot promos, and see what's new. The main page, catalog view, product pages, and checkout have been updated and also lay the groundwork for even more overhaul, coming within the next few months together with many of the GOG Galaxy features. We hope you like it!

PS. Unfortunately, we need to drop some titles from our classic catalog. In such cases, we always do our best to give you an advance warning and a last chance to purchase such games - preferably with a considerable discount. Check this news post to find out which titles are being removed from our catalog, when will it happen, and what parting discounts for them do we currently offer.
Post edited August 27, 2014 by G-Doc
Wurzelkraft: Updated.
ecamber: Good critique, the only thing I disagree with is your complaints about the wishlist button. The only reason you can't see it is because you have adblock enabled, so if you are annoyed it's missing it's adblock that you should be mad at, not GOG.

Also, when the initial change rolled out I could add reviews, but for the past 24 hours or so I cannot. When I click "add now" in the reviews section nothing happens. Anyone else having this problem?
You should be able to file reviews. Please try a couple of things before writing a support ticket:

Clearing your browser's cookies and cache.
Logging out and logging back in.

If that doesn't help, please file a support ticket here:

http://www.gog.com/support/contact/general_website_questions

Make sure to select "website glitches or accessibility issues" from the drop down menu :)

xwormwood: It is not possible to click trough game screenshots.
Either you watch all of them in the small version, or you have to manually click on every single picture to enlarrge it and on every single picture to close it.
Have you ever considere two buttons on the left and right side to allow your customers to scroll though the pictures (slide show like)?
It is a pain in the a** to do so many mouseclicks only to see all pictures in the large mode (which still isn't very large as well).

For your next redesign you should introduce a beta phase. Right now I'm pretty much angry about what you offer instead of the old design.

While I'm on it: why don't you show me all newly releazed game? Why do I have always to see three future release on Top of the "new" list?

I - WANT - TO - GET - A - SIMPLE - LIST - WHERE - I - CAN - SEE - ALL - NEW RELEASES.
WHEN I LOOK FOR NEW RELEASES I DON'T GIVE A R*TS *SS ABOUT FUTURE RELEASES.
If I want to know more about future release, than I would want another list or a trigger to show them.

So dissapointed about all this here, so disappointed.
There is a New and Coming tab that lets you see all the new releases for the past few weeks or so :) It's between Bestsellers and On Sale :)
Post edited August 29, 2014 by JudasIscariot
high rated
ecamber: Good critique, the only thing I disagree with is your complaints about the wishlist button. The only reason you can't see it is because you have adblock enabled, so if you are annoyed it's missing it's adblock that you should be mad at, not GOG.

[...]
No, I'm annoyed with GOG for putting it in the social conatainer - it has no place there, and only caused me to fiddle around with the specific (social stuff) blocking filter to unblock the wishlist button while keeping the others blocked.
Wurzelkraft: Here is my opinion on the "fresh" game pages. *click*

Oh I forgot a thing: Don't include the wishlist button in the same container box that you use for social media stuff. I like my Adblock.
Wurzelkraft: Updated.
A lot of your criticism is about collapsed / hidden by default content. I think it boils down to one faulty design principle - "one size fits all". Do designers learn on others' mistakes? It was a "hot" idea some time ago but it was created by incompetent designers who seem to have never red anything like this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Design_of_Everyday_Things

Such design was used in Windows 8, Ubuntu Unity and many other places. It utterly fails to be comfortable in practice because it sacrifices usability for fitting all use cases at once. In this case it's desktop and mobile use cases. Such design approach should be tanked.

The proper methodology should require either separate designs for desktop and mobile, or adaptable design which adjusts dynamically according to the screen size. Both methods are fine, but "one size fits all" is not!
Post edited August 29, 2014 by shmerl
HypersomniacLive: You should probably add that they scrapped the info regarding what version each game is patched to.
You are right. Added it. (right below the screenshot box)

Edit: Higher quality picture.

shmerl: The proper methodology should require either separate designs for desktop and mobile, or adaptable design which adjusts dynamically according to the screen size. Both methods are fine, but "one size fits all" is not!
Yes. So much yes!
Post edited August 29, 2014 by Wurzelkraft
Wurzelkraft: That is of course true. GOG is well aware of add-ons like Adblock and as HypersomniacLive pointed out this might be the reason to put the wishlist button into the same container as the social media stuff. With or without that in mind: I still don't like the decision. ;)
For me the problem is that the social media buttons are at this position of the page at all and waste space there. They should be at the bottom of the page, not on top of essential game information, moving the info even further down the page.
JudasIscariot: There is a New and Coming tab that lets you see all the new releases for the past few weeks or so :) It's between Bestsellers and On Sale :)
Judas a recommendation and please take it seriously.

The new & coming tab needs to be split in to new & coming tabs now that you are actually starting to put coming games on the list.

There are now 4 games on the list on the top that are comin and only after that starts the new games list - that is not practical and not transparent. Is it really so hard to make a separate list for those? And also the dates when those games were released on gog need to be added.
Post edited August 29, 2014 by Matruchus
After being on with the new look for a few days i have a thoughts to share. Not exactly criticism, and not exactly a plead to go back to the previous system, but something GoG should think about.

The pages look more posterized, more.... steam-like... Thankfully 60% of the screen isn't dead space (it's more like 10%), but mixing it up seems more confusing than useful. News is on the left side instead of the right now, while the games is swapped to be on the right side... Kinda disorienting...

The Center large ad now is just toggle next/previous, while previously you could see the bullets and switch to another bullet instantly or skip ahead. It used to also give you a quick useful peek at how many there were, i usually saw 5... Although not horrible, i honestly don't know if this is an improvement or not.

Now there's other things. The account button at the top lacking the avatar... Quite often i can glance up there and the avatar was the easiest indicator if i was logged in... I liked seeing my avatar up there. :( People also are complaining there's too much grey, and i have to agree. A lot of games seem to be littered with grey as well, so removing a few gentle colors from the logo and throughout the site seems... uninspiring.

Cross-site scripting and Javascript in the site... I enjoy following KISS, which is Keep It Simple, the more cross scripting you add on the longer and slower the site is going to be. Plus features that i really don't care about. I've mentioned before elsewhere, i don't use Facebook except when absolutely necessary, and i don't have a twitter account so it's useless to me. But also in other places in the site like my library, scripting is heavily used. I glanced at some of the Javascript and it appears to me to be terribly slow and inefficient, namely it eventually toggles and gets the list of games through an AJAX request, but then it has to ping each game individually for pictures, the full name, if there's DLC, download links, descriptions, if it's new or has an update. Etc. I honestly think the whole page should be generated site-side and then cached/saved for when there's no changes, so it's simply a matter of re-downloading that 50k-100k of information that would take a few second at most while currently my library i have to wait like 30 seconds and scroll down for everything to load before i can even search for a game since the search box is broken... (Tiled, not bookshelf, that's too bulky).

This scripting and forcing features reminds me a lot of Yahoo Mail. In Yahoo Mail they add functionality for chat windows, getting the weather, getting your avatar and having him appear on the side, seeing if someone else in your book happens to be online, and other stuff i really don't care about. Thankfully they still have the option for a simpler previous design that doesn't rely on any of that and you only need cookies activated in order to use Yahoo Mail. I think GoG should probably consider the same thing, go for a simpler almost JavsScript/Ajax Free side that gives us the simple facts and loads quickly and easily. And those that want a fancier look can just enable JavaScript and be happy with the 'more app-like' structure that HTML 4/5 are forcing down everyone's throats while allowing a simpler, more mobile (like tablets) and less complex/bandwidth hogging design for those who don't give a crap for it.

That's my 2 cents and half rant. Take it how you will...

edit: I just really noticed how big the buttons are and how big each dropdown menu item is... That's huge... Which only makes sense to use if you're using a tablet... Are they... making GoG more Phone/Tablet-friendly by making the buttons hard to mix up and everything so big? But they don't sell any games that work on Android....
Post edited August 29, 2014 by rtcvb32
shmerl: A lot of your criticism is about collapsed / hidden by default content. I think it boils down to one faulty design principle - "one size fits all". Do designers learn on others' mistakes? It was a "hot" idea some time ago but it was created by incompetent designers who seem to have never red anything like this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Design_of_Everyday_Things

Such design was used in Windows 8, Ubuntu Unity and many other places. It utterly fails to be comfortable in practice because it sacrifices usability for fitting all use cases at once. In this case it's desktop and mobile use cases. Such design approach should be tanked.

The proper methodology should require either separate designs for desktop and mobile, or adaptable design which adjusts dynamically according to the screen size. Both methods are fine, but "one size fits all" is not!
I've mentioned Windows 8 and Ubuntu Unity a few times also. I refuse to use Windows 8 or Ubuntu now. Luckily I found Linux Mint, which so far aims to give the users what the users want, and not what they think users want. So my main gaming rig, which run Win 7, will be supported until 2020. All my other rigs have been moving over to Linux Mint. It's one of the reason a wanted Linux on GOG so badly.
jalister: I've mentioned Windows 8 and Ubuntu Unity a few times also. I refuse to use Windows 8 or Ubuntu now. Luckily I found Linux Mint, which so far aims to give the users what the users want, and not what they think users want. So my main gaming rig, which run Win 7, will be supported until 2020. All my other rigs have been moving over to Linux Mint. It's one of the reason a wanted Linux on GOG so badly.
MS got a lot of criticism for the poor design in Windows 8. Same goes for Unity and early versions of Gnome 3. Not sure if they learned their lessons, but others surely can take note in order to avoid similar pitfalls.

KDE for instance makes separate interfaces for desktop (Plasma) and mobile (Plasma Active). They share a lot of elements but at the same time they are distinct and they are clearly avoiding "one size fits all" approach.
HypersomniacLive: You should probably add that they scrapped the info regarding what version each game is patched to.
Wurzelkraft: You are right. Added it. (right below the screenshot box)
Great work, Wurzelkraft. Words of wisdom, one by one.

Just be thankful that you don't have to read the HTML behind this mess to figure out how to harvest the data for MaGog.
Such amazing bloat. So many useless tags. Such duplication of information. Painful.
mrkgnao: Just be thankful that you don't have to read the HTML behind this mess to figure out how to harvest the data for MaGog.
Such amazing bloat. So many useless tags. Such duplication of information. Painful.
GOG could easily provide some XML / JSON service for that purpose...
Wurzelkraft: You are right. Added it. (right below the screenshot box)
mrkgnao: Great work, Wurzelkraft. Words of wisdom, one by one.

Just be thankful that you don't have to read the HTML behind this mess to figure out how to harvest the data for MaGog.
So you're saying that this wasn't made by a web designer, but a marketing executive?
Darvond: So you're saying that this wasn't made by a web designer, but a marketing executive?
Unfortunately even designers make such mistakes. That's exactly the problem. And executives assume that it's the norm and everyone wants it...
shmerl: MS got a lot of criticism for the poor design in Windows 8. Same goes for Unity and early versions of Gnome 3. Not sure if they learned their lessons, but others surely can take note in order to avoid similar pitfalls.
The really sad part is MS got a lot of criticism about Metro well before it was actually released as Modern UI. And they still released that mess. Even more shocking, Modern UI is also on Windows Server 2012. Someone needs to get kicked for that one.
I still want the box art back. ;_;