It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Get the full trilogy with a 66% discount or each game for 40% off!

Did you guys take your Dramamine this morning? Looks like you might need it soon: the beloved Descent trilogy is back and it's going to spin you right round right round.

Indeed, after disappearing into the darkness for a while, the series that pioneered six degrees of freedom shooting now finally re-emerges on GOG.com. If for whatever unfortunate reason you are not already acquainted with their ground-breaking 3D brilliance, now is your chance to redeem yourself before anyone finds out: get the entire trilogy in a Pack with a 66% discount or just buy Descent, Descent II and Descent 3 individually for -40% each.

This offer lasts until November 26, 11PM UTC.
Nice to see the Descent games back on GOG!

MarkoH01: Glad to see them back on GOG. but imo apehater is correct. I also do remember D1+D2 being sold as a package before. Maybe the seperation is part of the reason why the games are back? Not sure what I should think about that because basically publishers should be glad they even still are able to make money with such old games thanks to guys like here on GOG, so if they decided they need even more money... don't know....
At least the games are marked as owned for previous owners, unlike the Fallout games.
eiii: Nice to see the Descent games back on GOG!

MarkoH01: Glad to see them back on GOG. but imo apehater is correct. I also do remember D1+D2 being sold as a package before. Maybe the seperation is part of the reason why the games are back? Not sure what I should think about that because basically publishers should be glad they even still are able to make money with such old games thanks to guys like here on GOG, so if they decided they need even more money... don't know....
eiii: At least the games are marked as owned for previous owners, unlike the Fallout games.
Well were the old fallout games on steam the same as the gog versions? because I got fallout 1 2 and tactics on steam, wait what about brotherhood of steel?
high rated
Quoting Mike Kulas from Revival (Parallax Software):

Yes, Parallax Software (that’s Matt and me) worked out an agreement with Interplay by which Descent can be sold. We were going to post about it, but didn’t realize it would happen this quickly.
Post edited November 25, 2017 by PeteJB
This is great news, I wanted to buy Descent awhile back, but couldn't thanks to removal.

Question, is this the DOSBox version of the game? I remember years ago it was XP and Vista compatible, now it says 7, 8, and 10. I have a Windows 10 laptop so I can play this, but seeing this requirement change has me curious as DOSBox works on XP, unless there was an update I didn't know of.
You can use DXX-Rebirth to play it on Win7-10
PeteJB: Quoting Mike Kulas from Revival (Parallax Software):

Yes, Parallax Software (that’s Matt and me) worked out an agreement with Interplay by which Descent can be sold. We were going to post about it, but didn’t realize it would happen this quickly.
Interesting. I wonder if this means Interplay have paid what they owe them. Surely the Revival guys wouldn't be foolish enough to sign up for anything that would leave them out of pocket any further...
Post edited November 25, 2017 by Telkir
smrtgi19: Well were the old fallout games on steam the same as the gog versions? because I got fallout 1 2 and tactics on steam, wait what about brotherhood of steel?
Brotherhood of Steel was never released on PC.
tailsy64: Question, is this the DOSBox version of the game? I remember years ago it was XP and Vista compatible, now it says 7, 8, and 10. I have a Windows 10 laptop so I can play this, but seeing this requirement change has me curious as DOSBox works on XP, unless there was an update I didn't know of.
Still the DOSBox version. It's just that GOG no longer offers any technical support for XP and Vista users and thus doesn't list those OSes on the games' page.
Post edited November 25, 2017 by Grargar
If you have not yet played the Descent series, you are missing something special.

Grab it now.
Grargar: Still the DOSBox version. It's just that GOG no longer offers any technical support for XP and Vista users and thus doesn't list those OSes on the games' page.
Which btw I find a bit odd. These games were running on XP when GOG released them and before releasing them they were tested - that's why it was listed on the gamepage. So if the games have not changed why should they state as a REQUIREMENT that XP is not supported? Imo it would be better if they could make two different sections: one naming the real requirements and one naming the official support - or they should simply add a line under EACH game telling that XP officially is not supported any more by GOG without changing the requirements. I mean these are system requirements not support requirements. I think these are different.
GOG.com: Get the full trilogy with a 66% discount or each game for 40% off!

Did you guys take your Dramamine this morning? Looks like you might need it soon: the beloved Descent trilogy is back and it's going to spin you right round right round.

Indeed, after disappearing into the darkness for a while, the series that pioneered six degrees of freedom shooting now finally re-emerges on GOG.com. If for whatever unfortunate reason you are not already acquainted with their ground-breaking 3D brilliance, now is your chance to redeem yourself before anyone finds out: get the entire trilogy in a Pack with a 66% discount or just buy Descent, Descent II and Descent 3 individually for -40% each.

This offer lasts until November 26, 11PM UTC.
After November 26th will Descent 1 2 3 be removed again?
Grargar: Still the DOSBox version. It's just that GOG no longer offers any technical support for XP and Vista users and thus doesn't list those OSes on the games' page.
MarkoH01: Which btw I find a bit odd. These games were running on XP when GOG released them and before releasing them they were tested - that's why it was listed on the gamepage. So if the games have not changed why should they state as a REQUIREMENT that XP is not supported? Imo it would be better if they could make two different sections: one naming the real requirements and one naming the official support - or they should simply add a line under EACH game telling that XP officially is not supported any more by GOG without changing the requirements. I mean these are system requirements not support requirements. I think these are different.
liability
Post edited November 25, 2017 by smrtgi19
MarkoH01: Which btw I find a bit odd. These games were running on XP when GOG released them and before releasing them they were tested - that's why it was listed on the gamepage. So if the games have not changed why should they state as a REQUIREMENT that XP is not supported?
Back when the games were released, XP was the dominant OS. Those days? Not so much. It's possible that GOG might not even have any XP computers for testing anymore (or they might be exclusively used for games that still list XP as being supported).
MarkoH01: Imo it would be better if they could make two different sections: one naming the real requirements and one naming the official support - or they should simply add a line under EACH game telling that XP officially is not supported any more by GOG without changing the requirements. I mean these are system requirements not support requirements. I think these are different.
Real requirements? You mean those used by the game back in the 90s? That's a very bad idea.

Kidding aside, the real requirements for those games are set by GOG and are a factor in determining whether you are entitled to technical support and the money back guarantee. Muddying the waters with a supported-but-also-not supported label is only asking for trouble and further confusion.
MarkoH01: Which btw I find a bit odd. These games were running on XP when GOG released them and before releasing them they were tested - that's why it was listed on the gamepage. So if the games have not changed why should they state as a REQUIREMENT that XP is not supported?
Grargar: Back when the games were released, XP was the dominant OS. Those days? Not so much. It's possible that GOG might not even have any XP computers for testing anymore (or they might be exclusively used for games that still list XP as being supported).
I was never asking why XP support has been given up at all. I simply thing "requirements" and "support" re two kind of shoes. That's why I wrote required in caps.

Grargar: Kidding aside, the real requirements for those games are set by GOG and are a factor in determining whether you are entitled to technical support and the money back guarantee. Muddying the waters with a supported-but-also-not supported label is only asking for trouble and further confusion.
I never asked for a supported but non supported label. I only asked to make a difference between supported (by GOG) and required (to run the game at all). I also showed two possibilitys to do that. Meanwhile I don't run XP anymore but people who do won't buy even though the game might run. There has to be a possibility to change this (even though if my suggestions might not be the best way to do it).
MarkoH01: I was never asking why XP support has been given up at all. I simply thing "requirements" and "support" re two kind of shoes. That's why I wrote required in caps.
I never asked for a supported but non supported label. I only asked to make a difference between supported (by GOG) and required (to run the game at all).
Requirements are never absolute and usually go hand-to-hand with support. Hence why you might be able to run a game with less RAM than the one mentioned in the requirements. Or a game on Windows 10, even though it's also not mentioned as supported.
MarkoH01: I also showed two possibilitys to do that. Meanwhile I don't run XP anymore but people who do won't buy even though the game might run. There has to be a possibility to change this (even though if my suggestions might not be the best way to do it).
Unfortunately, all that I foresee happening is XP support gradually being dropped from existing games (it has already been dropped from all new DOS releases).
Post edited November 25, 2017 by Grargar
I'm really really glad these are back! One of my favorite game franchises! (Now if we can just get some of the early NFS games, GOG will have all of my favorites).

I guess I need to dust off the old Rebirth installer soon and make sure it's up to snuff still!
MarkoH01: I was never asking why XP support has been given up at all. I simply thing "requirements" and "support" re two kind of shoes. That's why I wrote required in caps.
I never asked for a supported but non supported label. I only asked to make a difference between supported (by GOG) and required (to run the game at all).
Grargar: Requirements are never absolute and usually go hand-to-hand with support. Hence why you might be able to run a game with less RAM than the one mentioned in the requirements. Or a game on Windows 10, even though it's also not mentioned as supported.
MarkoH01: I also showed two possibilitys to do that. Meanwhile I don't run XP anymore but people who do won't buy even though the game might run. There has to be a possibility to change this (even though if my suggestions might not be the best way to do it).
Grargar: Unfortunately, all that I foresee happening is XP support gradually being dropped from existing games (it has already been dropped from all new DOS releases).
Well, if it runs on dosbox it runs on XP usually, or at least that's my experience (I mean, I basically copied my old dosbox installation and config of Tie Fighter from a XP computer to a win7 one and it still works perfectly), they are probably being overcautious with dos games.
Windows games are another matter entirely unfortunately, with windows 10 being this problematic they are probably concentrating resources there.