It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Up to 75% off Metrocide, Screencheat, Mind: Path to Thalamus, and Teslagrad.

The best kind of attack. This week we're highlighting a set of four lovely indies, surprising in not just name but also in spirit. That's four titles from 50-75% brought to you, out of the blue, in our Surprise Attack Pack!

Surprise! You're dead. That's generally how things go down in dirty, cyberpunk Metro City. You're T.J. Trench - legendary contract killer, about to commit Metrocide, the most legendary killing spree of his life. In a unique mix of GTA and Hitman, you'll navigate the streets and dark alleys of a city filled with hi-tech police drones and vigilantes. Fast, challenging, featuring permadeath, it's all you need to make this a tense, arcadey hitman experience worth a try. Surprise! You're dead. That's generally how things go in this unique split-screen, split-second arena FPS. The rules are simple - you're invisible, so is everyone else. The only way to get your bearings and the drop on your enemies is by looking at their screen. Forget sheets and blankets, Screencheat is the future. If you're looking for a different kind of unexpected, Mind: Path to Thalamus is here to bend your mind and baffle you. Manipulating your environment is so cliche - how about manipulating the weather? To get through this puzzle adventure you'll cycle between day and night, rain or fog, and even travel between seasons. Finally, there's Teslagrad, a surprisingly good old-school puzzle platformer which relies entirely on sights and sounds to tell its story.

Surprised? It's Weekly Staff Picks, you should be used to it by now. This week's Surprise Attack Pack will be on sale until Thursday, July 9, 9:59 AM GMT.
Forum popping?
edit: mission successful.

Teslagrad is awesome, everyone should buy it.
Post edited July 06, 2015 by Starmaker
I have Teslagrad here, Mind:PTT elsewhere... I suppose I need to check out the others...
Interesting promo but nothing that tickles my fancy.
Nothing for me this time
Starmaker: Forum popping?

How's the timing requirements? I used to enjoy platformers a great deal but nowadays I just lose interested because of the ridiculous precision you need to have coupled with questionable save systems that makes you go through a bunch of unnecessary stuff just to reach the part where you failed.

Has anyone played Metrocide? It looks to have an interesting concept but it also seems to be like GTA 2 which controls I never could get around.
Nice promo.
Nirth: How's the timing requirements? I used to enjoy platformers a great deal but nowadays I just lose interested because of the ridiculous precision you need to have coupled with questionable save systems that makes you go through a bunch of unnecessary stuff just to reach the part where you failed.
It's kinda weird. With one exception, the obstacles are lethal, and the character respawns at a (safe) checkpoint upon death, all of which are right next to the challenge you failed. Reloading is automatic and literally lightning-fast. So the feats which would've been otherwise impossible for people who suck at platformers (such as myself) can be achieved with observation and good old button-mashing.

For example, there's a gap too wide to jump with deadly current on the floor and ceiling. You need to give yourself a maglev boost soon enough to compensate for the downward momentum before you hit the floor, but not too soon to undershoot, or overaccelerate and hit the ceiling. When exactly? Damned if I can tell, I just mash the buttons and succeed in under a minute (and the game autosaves me on the other side). A tunnel which requires switching polarity at a particular frequency to hit resonance? Again, once I've stopped trying to consciously time each particular switch based on visual feedback and started rhythmically mashing buttons, it took me no time at all to get it right.

(I won the game both with the keyboard and the xbox controller. Either plays ok. Sometimes I switched a couple of controls around to use my best finger/thumb for an action that saw a lot of use in a particular segment).

The hitbox is very generous. Collecting an item and dying immediately after still grants you the item. It's possible to take a breather and assess your surroundings after each and every individual challenge except boss battles (under 10 seconds), although sometimes it requires holding down a button.

The aforementioned exception is a huge and absolutely safe room in which the most obvious way to an optional item is an extremely difficult trick jump and then an annoyingly slippery platform. Fortunately, there's an alternate (but loooong) way to the slippery platform I found later which doesn't require the jump. It's so annoying exactly because it stands out as a timewaster in an otherwise merciful game. I had put up with far worse in La-Mulana.
Nirth: Has anyone played Metrocide? It looks to have an interesting concept but it also seems to be like GTA 2 which controls I never could get around.
Metrocide has arrow keys or WASD movement + mouse aiming. It's not the 'tank controls' like GTA, instead pressing up moves you north, pressing down moves you south, etc. and you can aim in any direction regardless of which way you are moving.
None that interest me and only one for 75% off.
There's probably something in there for somebody though.
Starmaker: Forum popping?

Nirth: How's the timing requirements? I used to enjoy platformers a great deal but nowadays I just lose interested because of the ridiculous precision you need to have coupled with questionable save systems that makes you go through a bunch of unnecessary stuff just to reach the part where you failed.

Has anyone played Metrocide? It looks to have an interesting concept but it also seems to be like GTA 2 which controls I never could get around.
Metrocide is a contract kill style game with a bitch of a 'permadeath' system. The way each of the three levels works is; talk to the guy who has contracts, kill the target you chose, go back to the contract guy to get your next one (rinse, lather, repeat). Higher priced contracts come with risks such as, armed, paranoid, etc. The frustrating part is, if you die you lose all of the money you accumulated and need to start fresh. Patience is a must with Metrocide, as you can't save mid level either. So if you start, you better wanna finish :P
Controls can be: wasd relative movement to the screen(that is, w will move you up) or you can have it so you move relative to the mouse cursor (w is forward, s is backward etc.)
edit: ah crap ninja'd!
Post edited July 06, 2015 by micktiegs_8
Nirth: Has anyone played Metrocide? It looks to have an interesting concept but it also seems to be like GTA 2 which controls I never could get around.
I bought it on a bundle and it's not bad. I find it to be quite underachieved, as the setting is pretty interesting and the concept cool. But the execution is a little subpar, as the gameplay is limited and quite repetitive.

Basically, you start with a shitty weapon. You get a contract and execute it. More contracts = better weapons = harder contracts = more money. The objective is to reach X $ to leave town.
The main problem is that there are only a few contracts, so you will end up going for the harder every time, which pays more.

But, despite being repetitive, the setting and "discretion" mechanics make it an interesting game if it's down your alley, so given this sale price, I would recommend to try it, again, if you are interested on its concept.
I would also suggest to check some videos, just to make sure.
But at this price, I think it's worth it.
My wallet is safe.