It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Level Up!

The <span class="bold">Weekly Sale: The First of Many</span> is leveling up!
Joining the sale are the fantastic, retro point & click adventures from Wadjet Eye (you've got to try Technobabylon, Gemini Rue, and Shardlight) as well as a few true adventure classics including Simon The Sorcerer and The Feeble Files.

Don't forget – there are just a few days left to grab what you want!

One full week of wicked-good offers: Up to 80% off Leisure Suit Larry, Pan-Pan, Cannon Fodder & more to come!

Our weekly sales are changing!
We know that you've enjoyed the loosely-themed Weekly Staff Picks and the grand Weekend Promos - we did too. But after nearly two years of fighting the good fight, it's time to morph into something bigger, stronger, maybe even better: our mighty Weekly Sale!

Launching every Monday, each Weekly Sale will last for seven days. It's a selection of games we know you'll love – but if you don't see anything you fancy right off the bat, don't fret: we'll add another batch of super-good offers every Friday.

<span class="bold">Weekly Sale: The First of Many</span> features games with plenty of drama and heartbreak, unexpected tales, and intriguing mysteries. Get right to it with the first round of offers for up to 80% off, including Overlord, Pan-Pan, Shelter, Leisure Suit Larry, and more!

The sale will last until January 9, 5:00 PM UTC.
gamesfreak64: As for Visual/Kinetic Novels: i dont really like them, imho these are not games they are an interactive click book like the ones they used to make for small kids in order to learn them things and for this group it is a very good option, for anyone older then 13 i cant recommend them , and they are usally overpriced.
That's the beauty of having a different opinion about something, neither of us are more wrong than the other when it comes to preferences. I just think those might be a nice addition to GOG for variety as doesn't they sell movies also? Either way as long as there are games coming, I don't really mind as I can get games elsewhere if I can't get those here anyways.

Here hoping for a good year for us using GOG in 2017!
Point_Man: I'm lost. We get more time to buy the games on sale. The sale even goes a few hours into the next sale so you can decide if you're tight on money. Yes the games added on the weekend could be more clearly displayed, but otherwise i don't see anything wrong.

So why is everyone not liking this?

Edit: All they'd have to do is post a news story on the weekend with the added games to the sale and the problem would be fixed for the most part.
I agree that what GoR said covers 75% of this issue as there is one other negative pillar. Themes or what might be more accurate, decreased variance.

Even if they are not naming them, there are always going to be sale themes. Even if that theme is simply titles from X publisher/developer. Just because one cant readily detect what that theme is at a glance does not mean its not there.

Now say if you check in Monday. Encounter a sale that is basically a sale from a dev/pub that almost exclusively handles Strategy titles. You personally have no interest in strategy games.Before that would mean you were stuck waiting till Friday for a different promo to feature different kinds of games. Now you are stuck waiting a full 7 days instead of just 4, for something that might better match your tastes.

Basically this is resulting in less options in the name of trying to give people more time to get in on a sale. I get that. There had been certain situations where that would have made a difference and sometimes I would miss out because of it. However this still comes down to being less options, while that problem will still potentially exist for people at about the same rate because no matter how long you make it someone will still be able to get in on it a day late.
Point_Man: I'm lost. We get more time to buy the games on sale. The sale even goes a few hours into the next sale so you can decide if you're tight on money. Yes the games added on the weekend could be more clearly displayed, but otherwise i don't see anything wrong.

So why is everyone not liking this?

Edit: All they'd have to do is post a news story on the weekend with the added games to the sale and the problem would be fixed for the most part.
viranimus: I agree that what GoR said covers 75% of this issue as there is one other negative pillar. Themes or what might be more accurate, decreased variance.

Even if they are not naming them, there are always going to be sale themes. Even if that theme is simply titles from X publisher/developer. Just because one cant readily detect what that theme is at a glance does not mean its not there.

Now say if you check in Monday. Encounter a sale that is basically a sale from a dev/pub that almost exclusively handles Strategy titles. You personally have no interest in strategy games.Before that would mean you were stuck waiting till Friday for a different promo to feature different kinds of games. Now you are stuck waiting a full 7 days instead of just 4, for something that might better match your tastes.

Basically this is resulting in less options in the name of trying to give people more time to get in on a sale. I get that. There had been certain situations where that would have made a difference and sometimes I would miss out because of it. However this still comes down to being less options, while that problem will still potentially exist for people at about the same rate because no matter how long you make it someone will still be able to get in on it a day late.
There is still a weekend sale though? They just get added on Friday to the already existing list of games that have been on sale from Monday. So there is nothing less. We get more time and there are still 2 groups of games that go on sale.

Or am i misunderstanding you?

Edit: And from the first sale, the games added on Monday & Friday did not seem connected by a theme. The Monday games seemed connected, and the Friday games seemed connected, but not both.
Post edited January 10, 2017 by user deleted
This is a bad idea. I didn't have a lot of time the last couple of days and didn't feel like wasting the bit of free time I had with GOG's "bigger, stronger and better" news posts. So I missed that you changed something with your sales.

I checked the front page, saw a weekly sale (I didn't even realize that this was NOT a weekly staff pick anymore!) and left after not seeing anything I wanted. I checked the site a few more times for new releases or sales, but didn't see anything interesting. I realized that there was no weekend sale, but that's not something I wanted to waste my time with either. No weekend sale is no weekend sale. You'll have your reasons to skip the sale this weekend - at least that's what I thought...

I saw a news headline (just a little sidenote on the far right, somewhere between amazon and "lose 5kg in 1 week" diet ads) on the website of a gaming magazine, saying something like "GOG.com is changing its sales". That's why I decided to check this old thread.

It's not very smart to hide an unannounced weekend sale within your old, old weekly sale. At least put a banner at the top of your front page, telling everyone that you added games to your weekly sale. Something like "10 new games added to the sale!".
Point_Man: There is still a weekend sale though? They just get added on Friday to the already existing list of games that have been on sale from Monday. So there is nothing less. We get more time and there are still 2 groups of games that go on sale.

Edit: And from the first sale, the games added on Monday & Friday did not seem connected by a theme. The Monday games seemed connected, and the Friday games seemed connected, but not both.
Unfortunately, you are. First the first week theme was predominantly adventure games, which was seen in both the week and end sales. While there were a few others sprinkled in, the same type of games added to the Friday group were so like those from the week group that they were indistinguishable, hence why people were complaining they couldn't tell what was newly added.

Its not an issue of there being something technically less. Its that what is being lost in this is something different. For example. Used to be we would have a week sale of say, newly added retro Disney titles, then the weekend sale would be an EA blast. Effectively in this new sale structure, you could see a week sale being again Disney titles, and then the Friday upgrade being additional Disney titles, some of which were originally EA titles such as Kotor1&2 which technically are still Disney titles. So if you refuse to give Disney money... you would be stuck waiting 7 days for new promos, instead of 4.

Not everyone will detect patterns as readily as others. Yet even if you don't see the patterns that does not mean they are not present. Knowing that these themes will be present, as many others have pointed to, With this new structure, instead of checking back inat least twice a week, this new format renders it more effective simply to check back once a week on Friday after the new crop of titles has been launched. That is a negative for gog, because it will invariably decrease in repeated traffic, which would hypothetically reduce sales overall.

For example, Checking in twice a week resulted in Gog picking up additional sales for a new release game from me recently when I purchased "Oh Sir". Had I not been checking in, By the time the Weekend promo had rolled around, its entirely possible the "new " banner might have well had additional titles added since Oh Sir was, thus it no longer being flashed out of the four or five most recent rotating banner. Not noticing it that new release might have not ever been noticed, and thus not sold.

This new structure incentivizes customers to check back on gog less, now down to once a week instead of more frequently. The structure itself would be fine, provided that there were random flash promos , or something similar that incentivizes customers to repeatedly check back instead of checking back every week end.

Gog will make more money when customers are repeatedly browsing the site 104 times than they will only 52 times. That is simply economics.

That also doesn't take into consideration that the reduced traffic conditioning their customers to check back once a week will also hurt when a big sale begins, such as Insomnia or seasonal sales, simply because the customer only checking in once a week will potentially miss out on 3 or 4 days of sales that otherwise under a normal situation would not have been there.
Point_Man: There is still a weekend sale though? They just get added on Friday to the already existing list of games that have been on sale from Monday. So there is nothing less. We get more time and there are still 2 groups of games that go on sale.

viranimus: Unfortunately, you are. First the first week theme was predominantly adventure games, which was seen in both the week and end sales. While there were a few others sprinkled in, the same type of games added to the Friday group were so like those from the week group that they were indistinguishable, hence why people were complaining they couldn't tell what was newly added.

Its not an issue of there being something technically less. Its that what is being lost in this is something different. For example. Used to be we would have a week sale of say, newly added retro Disney titles, then the weekend sale would be an EA blast. Effectively in this new sale structure, you could see a week sale being again Disney titles, and then the Friday upgrade being additional Disney titles, some of which were originally EA titles such as Kotor1&2 which technically are still Disney titles. So if you refuse to give Disney money... you would be stuck waiting 7 days for new promos, instead of 4.

Not everyone will detect patterns as readily as others. Yet even if you don't see the patterns that does not mean they are not present. Knowing that these themes will be present, as many others have pointed to, With this new structure, instead of checking back inat least twice a week, this new format renders it more effective simply to check back once a week on Friday after the new crop of titles has been launched. That is a negative for gog, because it will invariably decrease in repeated traffic, which would hypothetically reduce sales overall.
So what pattern did you detect that no one else could? Because the Monday sale games were games published by Might and Delight & Codemasters. The Friday games were Adventure Soft & Wadjet Eye Games. So the sale was themed on certain publishers. It was just coincidence that Codemasters is the publisher on the Leisure Suit Larry adventure games.

So i think you're mistaken about this weeks pattern being adventure games only. Obviously the Friday games were both from adventure game publishers, but the Monday games included a shooter, racing, & sports game. And i wouldn't count the Shelter games among the other point & click adventure games either.

It would seem that you were detecting patterns incorrectly. The pattern for the Monday games was Codemasters & Might and Delight published games, which happened to include the Leisure Suit Larry games. The Friday games were 2 point and click publishers.
Not for me, but what ever, at the weekend was enough.
Point_Man: It would seem that you were detecting patterns incorrectly. The pattern for the Monday games was Codemasters & Might and Delight published games, which happened to include the Leisure Suit Larry games. The Friday games were 2 point and click publishers.
No, it would seem you were reading my posts incorrectly.

I had said about last weeks theme...

First week theme was predominantly adventure games, which was seen in both the week and end sales. While there were a few others sprinkled in, the same type of games added to the Friday group were so like those from the week group that they were indistinguishable, hence why people were complaining they couldn't tell what was newly added.
Here I said the first crop were predominantly adventure games with some other genres sprinkled in. That was true when the first crop was released, and that remained true after the Friday upgrade. Mostly adventures, with a few other types sprinkled in.

Now you might not consider the Shelter line of games to be adventure games, However GoG does. If you look at the shelter games they are all labeled as Adventure games first. In abbreviated lists, the genre gets listed as what it is classified first. So just like if you look at the section that labels "buy the complete series" on any of the shelter games, they list other titles as being adventure. Each individual page then expands that categorization to being Adventure - Simulation - Virtual life.

What I said about this weeks theme....

For example this weeks "theme" is going to be Team17 Digital LTD. , Blue Moon Red Owl, 1C, ect games with the upgrade seeming to be select games from these pubs inexplicably left off like several selections from 1C, and Worms: Armageddon. We will see if that is true Friday.
It seems what you have done is misconstrued me saying that this weeks theme is adventure games, while last weeks was from specific publishers. As you can see that is not what was said. With that context it would be understandable that you not see the connections being made. I hope that clears up the confusion.

Anyway, that derails from the actual point. That being that If you look at Mondays offerings and see what type of games they are, you can hypothetically tell if there is any point to bother with looking again after the upgrade. That results in hypothetically having to wait up to 7 days for a new promo before something you might want would materialize.
Which the previous format that wait time would only be four days because the theme of the staff picks and weekend sales were not linked together as this new format does.

If you elect to wait to checking Friday to see what is available, effectively it means you have 7 days before the next promo. Two distinct sales per week will generate more sales than one, even if one sale a week has more titles in it.
Post edited January 11, 2017 by viranimus
viranimus: Now you might not consider the Shelter line of games to be adventure games, However GoG does. If you look at the shelter games they are all labeled as Adventure games first. In abbreviated lists, the genre gets listed as what it is classified first. So just like if you look at the section that labels "buy the complete series" on any of the shelter games, they list other titles as being adventure. Each individual page then expands that categorization to being Adventure - Simulation - Virtual life.
Lots of games are labeled as adventure games on GOG. There's a difference between point & click games like the ones added on Friday, and the Shelter games added on Monday.

Some "adventure" games:

https://www.gog.com/game/pixel_piracy
https://www.gog.com/game/we_happy_few
https://www.gog.com/game/qube_directors_cut
https://www.gog.com/game/card_city_nights
https://www.gog.com/game/curious_expedition_the
https://www.gog.com/game/inside
https://www.gog.com/game/magrunner_dark_pulse
https://www.gog.com/game/soma
https://www.gog.com/game/sir_you_are_being_hunted
https://www.gog.com/game/no_mans_sky
https://www.gog.com/game/witcher_adventure_game
https://www.gog.com/game/incredipede
https://www.gog.com/game/star_trek_25th_anniversary
https://www.gog.com/game/the_secret_of_monkey_island_special_edition
https://www.gog.com/game/shantae_riskys_revenge_directors_cut

There are hundreds of "Adventure" games on GOG with some being very different then others. The label "Adventure" doesn't mean much.

Again, Monday games were Codemasters & Might and Delight. Friday games were Wadjet Eye Games & Adventure Soft. You can say Friday's games were themed around the point & click genre. But if Monday's games were themed around anything it was that they were all games published by either Codemasters or Might and Delight.

Either way, i'm sure GOG will know better then anyone else after a couple of sales if the change is generating extra sales (or the same) or if it's hurting sales.
Post edited January 11, 2017 by user deleted
gamesfreak64: As for Visual/Kinetic Novels: i dont really like them, imho these are not games they are an interactive click book like the ones they used to make for small kids in order to learn them things and for this group it is a very good option, for anyone older then 13 i cant recommend them , and they are usally overpriced.
Prolence: That's the beauty of having a different opinion about something, neither of us are more wrong than the other when it comes to preferences. I just think those might be a nice addition to GOG for variety as doesn't they sell movies also? Either way as long as there are games coming, I don't really mind as I can get games elsewhere if I can't get those here anyways.

Here hoping for a good year for us using GOG in 2017!
You have a point on the variety thing :D

i played this demo a while ago, now this game would add a lot of variety to GoG :

this link will show videos related to command of war , dont judge the graphics/animations its the gameplay that matters

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=command+of+war+gameplay
Post edited January 12, 2017 by gamesfreak64
gamesfreak64: i played this demo a while ago, now this game would add a lot of variety to GoG :

this link will show videos related to command of war , dont judge the graphics/animations its the gameplay that matters

Honestly, I wouldn't mind that coming to GOG. It does look something I'd be willing to try out and support, could make a nice change to the usual stuff I play these days. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.
Point_Man: Either way, i'm sure GOG will know better then anyone else after a couple of sales if the change is generating extra sales (or the same) or if it's hurting sales.
Bingo! It comes down to money.
gamesfreak64: i played this demo a while ago, now this game would add a lot of variety to GoG :

Prolence: Honestly, I wouldn't mind that coming to GOG. It does look something I'd be willing to try out and support, could make a nice change to the usual stuff I play these days. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.
Your welcome.
I hope we will see some games like this one, and GoG getting this game first would be a very good start.