It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

This is definitely a good day for all RPG fans. Firstly, we welcome 7 dungeon crawlers on GOG.COM that will make many nostalgic memories come back to life. Secondly, during this Weekly Sale all those titles and many more RPGs are available with up to 86% discounts lasting until 2nd March 2020, 2 PM UTC.

Note: Legends of Amberland: The Forgotten Crown is available in GOG Connect. To get it, connect your Steam account and add the game to your DRM-free library.
low rated
The choice is a bit overwhelming, so I have a few criteria to help filter them.

So, hard requirements:
* Game needs to be turn-based.
* Game needs to have low system requirements.
* Game needs to run in WINE.
* Saving needs to be done under my own terms; I should be able to manually save and the game should never delete that save unless I tell it to. (This excludes roguelike-style permadeath mechanics.)

So, aside from that, here are my preferences:
* Female characters being an option (or requirement), and should not be disadvantaged relative to male characters.
* Enemies should respawn or otherwise be repeatable.
* Good healing magic. (Specifically, healing during combat must be viable, healing outside of combat shouldn't be much of a chore, and for party based games, there should to be a spell that heals the entire party. Unconventional healing abilities are a plus, particularly if they're useful.)
* Interesting options for character customization, but without missable stats, and if there are skill points, there needs to be a way to respec or replace the character with a new one.
* I prefer SaGa or Elder Scrolls style character growth to the traditional level/xp system.

With these criteria, what games would you recommend from today's releases?
I hope this will be enough to keep quiet all those guys who moan all the time about the lack of dungeon crawlers.
Is Deep Sky Derelicts basically sci-fi Darkest Dungeon? How does it compare?
TentacleMayor: Is Deep Sky Derelicts basically sci-fi Darkest Dungeon? How does it compare?
No, it's not like Darkest Dungeon. Except for the perspective it reminded me more of StarCrawlers in fact.
high rated
dtgreene: The choice is a bit overwhelming, so I have a few criteria to help filter them.

So, hard requirements:
* Saving needs to be done under my own terms; I should be able to manually save and the game should never delete that save unless I tell it to. (This excludes roguelike-style permadeath mechanics.)

* Female characters being an option (or requirement), and should not be disadvantaged relative to male characters.
* Good healing magic. (Specifically, healing during combat must be viable, healing outside of combat shouldn't be much of a chore, and for party based games, there should to be a spell that heals the entire party. Unconventional healing abilities are a plus, particularly if they're useful.)
* Interesting options for character customization, but without missable stats, and if there are skill points, there needs to be a way to respec or replace the character with a new one.
* I prefer SaGa or Elder Scrolls style character growth to the traditional level/xp system.

As someone who battled with Elminage Gothic under Wine to the point that it's now playable in the latest version, I can easily recommend Elminage Gothic as it meets the following criteria:

It does follow a traditional XP requirement as in "beat up monsters, get XP".

The dungeons have random encounters and as far as I can recall (it's been a while since I played the game) you can simply go through the dungeon before reaching the boss, leave it, come back and fight more monsters.

The healing magic follows the usual JRPG style magic IIRC.
dtgreene: With these criteria, what games would you recommend from today's releases?
I only know The Quest (from Android) and it satisfies your "hard requirements".
About your preferences:
- Female character: yes
- Respawning enemies: no (although there might be regions where they - I haven't played too far)
- Good healing magic: Depends
- Character customization: not too complex
- Respec: Don't know, don't think so
- Growth: IIRC a combination of leveling with XP and skillpoints and "learning by doing".
Can someone please tell me what " Non Power of Two texture support" is? Never heard of that and I`m not sure if this feature is supported by my graphics chip.
Maxvorstadt: Can someone please tell me what " Non Power of Two texture support" is? Never heard of that and I`m not sure if this feature is supported by my graphics chip.
Where did you read that?

It basically means support for textures with "non-power-of-two dimensions". Textures that aren't like 256x256 or 1024x1024 pixel in size.

https://www.khronos.org/opengl/wiki/NPOT_Texture
Post edited February 24, 2020 by toxicTom
Dark Quest 2 on GOG? What a curious coincidence, from my perspective it almost feels like they've been reading my review on the Games Finished in 2020 thread, 3 days ago ... XD

I don't know if Dark Quest is worth playing, but I really liked Dark Quest 2. If you go in with the right expectations, it offers a surprising amount of tactics/variation/versatility for such a simple, casual turn-based dungeon crawler in the style of Hero Quest. To me it's the best Hero Quest game on PC so far (even though it follows different rules). Just don't expect it to be a deep RPG or XCOM clone.

What I'd be interested in though, is how the GOG version handles custom maps, since the Steam version seems heavily dependent on the Steam Workshop. I suppose GOG users would not be able to play the maps available on Steam Workshop and if users create maps with the GOG version they are not available to owners of the game on Steam? How are the maps shared, if possible at all?
Post edited February 24, 2020 by Leroux
JudasIscariot: ...
"Judas! You son of a bitch ..." - Arnold. Feels like it's been a while since you've posted. ;)
Maxvorstadt: Can someone please tell me what " Non Power of Two texture support" is? Never heard of that and I`m not sure if this feature is supported by my graphics chip.
toxicTom: Where did you read that?

It basically means support for textures with "non-power-of-two dimensions". Textures that aren't like 256x256 or 1024x1024 pixel in size.

https://www.khronos.org/opengl/wiki/NPOT_Texture
I`ve read it in the SysReqs of The Quest:
https://www.gog.com/game/the_quest

Hm, still not sure, if my HD 3000 chip is capable of performing this non power of two thing.
Oh, and by the way, I don't think this should be on a GOG gamecard - Else IncomingShitStorm() ... XD

"Map Editor: Create new adventures and distribute them through steamworks "
(Dark Quest 2)
The GOGcom Stream Team also particpates in the Dungeon Crawler Event by playing lots of Dungeon Crawlers (and Dungeon Crawler-ish) games this week - some on sale, some not!

Tangledeep, Elminage Gothic, Legend of Grimrock 1 + 2, Children of Morta, Barony, Darkest Dungeon, Tower of Time, Mary Skelter: Nightmares, Might & Magic 2, Dungeon Keeper, Eye of the Beholder 1 and more!

Check out our schedule here (it should automatically adjust to your timezone): http://j.mp/streaming_schedule
Maxvorstadt: I`ve read it in the SysReqs of The Quest:
https://www.gog.com/game/the_quest

Hm, still not sure, if my HD 3000 chip is capable of performing this non power of two thing.
A quick duckduckgo search tells me that HD3k should support OpenGL up to 3.1 fully. NPOT textures are a OpenGL 2.0 requirement, so it should IMO work.
dtgreene: The choice is a bit overwhelming, so I have a few criteria to help filter them.

So, hard requirements:

JudasIscariot: As someone who battled with Elminage Gothic under Wine to the point that it's now playable in the latest version, I can easily recommend Elminage Gothic as it meets the following criteria:

It does follow a traditional XP requirement as in "beat up monsters, get XP".

The dungeons have random encounters and as far as I can recall (it's been a while since I played the game) you can simply go through the dungeon before reaching the boss, leave it, come back and fight more monsters.

The healing magic follows the usual JRPG style magic IIRC.
I have played Elminage Gothic already (over 100 hours IIRC; I got as far as Ibag Tower 6F or 7F, but the difficulty got a bit much even for me at this point); I am looking at the new games and what would work well here.

With that said, here are a few things about Elminage Gothic that are worth noting:
* Female characters are disadvantaged relative to male characters, as some high-end equipment (including way too many of the top-tier weapons) are male-only for no obvious reason. (If I decide to replay this game, I will mod this out, replacing all gender restrictions with an "innocent-only" restriction, which seems more fair and feels like it makes more sense as a balancing factor.)
* The game actually does have some unconventional healing methods; Song of Healing heals the party for free, and heals more if multiple songs are used in the same or consecutive rounds (don't have to be other Songs of Healing!). Another is to have a summoner capture a Ghost Herbalist, which then has a limited number of healing items that it will use at the end of the round, and when the items run out, you can summon another (especially if you have two of them, as you can't resummon the monster that's already out, but can summon a different one in its place).
* There's also a class that can heal with items without using a turn, but it looks like the class is a pain to keep stocked and doesn't seem worth it.

(Note that Ibag Tower is late post-game, so you can still beat the game and play through all of the interesting dungeons before you even reach this point.)

dtgreene: With these criteria, what games would you recommend from today's releases?
toxicTom: I only know The Quest (from Android) and it satisfies your "hard requirements".
About your preferences:
[...]
- Good healing magic: Depends
Could you elaborate on this?
In older hardware, the dimensions of a texture must be powers of two (so 512x512 would work, but 480x480 would not). This is no longer the case in newer hardware; in particular, my Intel HD 4000 integrated GPU doesn't have this requirement.

If your computer is not ancient, it probably supports such textures.

(On Linux, you can run glxinfo and ess if the "GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two" extension is present.)
Post edited February 24, 2020 by dtgreene