It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Prepare for a wave of emotions and immersive reading experience! Visual novels are leading the way this weekend, up to -80% off.

Enjoy great storytelling of Sunrider Liberation Day (-70%), Serment - Contract with a Devil (-20%) and "fault" series from Sekai Project. Or empathize with characters in beautiful and uplifting narratives in The House in Fata Morgana (-30%), Higurashi When They Cry Hou (up to -50%) and eden*(-60%) from MangaGamer.

For those, who just want to simply spend time having fun and good drinks, Monster Prom (-50%) and VA-11 Hall-A (-34%) will be a great addition to your games collection.

The Weekend Sale ends July 8, 10pm UTC.
low rated
GameRager: Question: Why are VN's so expensive for basically being interactive books?
clarry: Isn't that a bit too reductionist?

First because the prices range from free to a few dozen bucks. It doesn't seem exceedingly expensive to me?2.

Second, it's not the technology that costs money. You can make a fancy first person fantasy rpg using off the shelf parts, but you're going to need a content mill if you want to fill the world with things.

If you need a story, visual art (backgrounds, characters, animations), music, voice acting, programming, q&a, testing, translation, etc. it can get expensive. Lots of people involved, of course they all want their share. I'd say it's roughly proportional to production values, unless it's a labour of love like Narcissu. Oh, I wish we had that on GOG (even if it is free). I love Narcissu.

You can now pick up "indies" like Ne No Kami or Highway Blossoms for about five bucks but they're not at all in the same league with the likes of Da Capo.

I'm sure supply & demand plays its role, of course. It's not like we're looking at a catalog of 2000 VNs old and new, with millions of people lining up to purchase them.. but I think it's a genre where quality > quantity matters much more than with (mechanical) games you can play 'til you get bored and move on to the next one. I mean nobody wants to start reading a (visual, interactive or not) book only to get bored 35% of the way in and move on to the next equally boring book that just looks a little different?
It is a bit reductionist and I was mainly griping about the prices of the more pricey ones.

Disclaimer: I play some of them(DS games/etc) as well.

I also play Hidden Object games and think some prices for some are outrageous(20 bucks for premium editions on some sites for some very short games).

GameRager: Question: Why are VN's so expensive for basically being interactive books?
Starmaker: Gonna turn it on the head: it's because they're interactive books. I preordered the physical edition of Bloodstained for $60 in real dollars and I'm currently stuck on the first boss (fucking camera!). Fata Morgana cost me the regional equivalent of $15 and I got 45 hours out of it. It's a continuous stream of original content.

GameRager: Also why are the better ones all on steam?

:\
Starmaker: Well Hatoful Boyfriend is on here, thanks to Devolver. Capcom I think is being a dick regarding regional pricing (if nothing else) with Phoenix Wright. The other best ones are all published by Spike Chunsoft, and GOG doesn't seem to have an in with Japanese publishers.

Firsthand recommendations:
Hatoful Boyfriend - liquid awesome, excellent translation, fat bird
Monster Prom - replayable CYOA, Western, funny
Fata Morgana - shit overall story, great music
Kindred Spirits - lesbian schoolgirl romance
Memory's Dogma - ok story, high production values
Cinders - Western, short, replayable
Fault - pretty but claw-your-eyes-out dumb at times, girly, ok story
Fairy Bell - good, with occasional leaks of idiocy from Fault

Secondhand recommendations:
Higurashi - I only played 1 and thought it pointless, but the recommendation comes from the 21st century equivalent of Norman Borlaug so there
Eden - some uwu grill thing
Thanks for the list(will check them out when there are sales/I have time). Also I was more complaining about some being 30+ dollars, and not the cheaper ones(in case anyone thought I meant the cheaper ones were too pricey). :)

Anyone old enough to remember "Choose your own adventure" books?

-If you want to go left, turn to page 24.
-If you want to go right, turn to page 56.

I miss those.
I have several of them, and often rent others from the local library(which likely gets me all sorts of looks from the staff there).
Post edited July 06, 2019 by GameRager
GameRager: I also play Hidden Object games and think some prices for some are outrageous(20 bucks for premium editions on some sites for some very short games).
Well, moneygrab editions are moneygrab editions regardless of the genre.. as long as there are people willing to shell out, some companies will keep making these.
low rated
GameRager: I also play Hidden Object games and think some prices for some are outrageous(20 bucks for premium editions on some sites for some very short games).
clarry: Well, moneygrab editions are moneygrab editions regardless of the genre.. as long as there are people willing to shell out, some companies will keep making these.
Well they do provide extra levels/content. I'd just like to see them for not double(sometimes) what the base version costs.
Fonzer: Do you use any extra patches?
I used them to up the quality of the higurashi hou visual novels. Or did you only read it without the voice and graphic patches?
I did see the anime and i know what is it about but that has been long ago that i have seen the anime.
DarthSisu: Nothing extra. So far I've been reading it completely vanilla, the way it happens to be in the GOG version.

I am using the upgraded character sprites that are the default in the GOG version, but nothing outside of what comes installed with the game.
Well it is your choice, but i found it better with the voice and graphic patches. Reasons you can have the same upgraded sprites that GOG has. The voice patch hearing keiichi voice is truly awesome and the graphic patch adds a few CG graphic scenes and the old sprites get changed to ps2 or ps3 graphics sprites with lip synch.
Didn't really care about that lip synch change since i preffered the new graphic sprites over the changed ones.
Anyway if you will be interested in it you would have to restart the game from the beginning if you add the mod..
Post edited July 06, 2019 by Fonzer
DarthSisu: Nothing extra. So far I've been reading it completely vanilla, the way it happens to be in the GOG version.

I am using the upgraded character sprites that are the default in the GOG version, but nothing outside of what comes installed with the game.
Fonzer: Well it is your choice, but i found it better with the voice and graphic patches. Reasons you can have the same upgraded sprites that GOG has. The voice patch hearing keiichi voice is truly awesome and the graphic patch adds a few CG graphic scenes and the old sprites get changed to ps2 or ps3 graphics sprites with lip synch.
Didn't really care about that lip synch change since i preffered the new graphic sprites over the changed ones.
Anyway if you will be interested in it you would have to restart the game from the beginning if you add the mod..
Well I've already finished the first one and I'm not really that interested doing it again right away, maybe for the reread. But I could try that with the second one onwards. Thanks for the suggestion.
clarry: Hmm, I hadn't paid attention to this one in the past. But now that I look at the voice cast & visuals, it seems quite worthy. Now I'm on the edge! Because I'm not too keen on buying episodic titles when only the first part has been released (years ago) and there's no sign of the next one..
I like it and I think it's worth the money "unfinished". Partially it's because I have a high tolerance for "unfinished" content -- I was born in the Soviet Union and watched broadcast tv, stolen cable, and pirate tapes. If the antenna died or the decoder failed or someone misclicked a button on the remote and the vcr recorded two hours of instant soup commercials on the wrong channel, that was it. I'm still looking for that high school romance anime where one point of the love triangle was a jealous demon girl who controlled flesh-eating worms or something and then the stolen cable died on me whyyyyyyyyyy.

But it's also actually good. It has a team of characters and none of them are being assholes, it's refreshing. The backgrounds are beautiful, and the UI is satisfying. My two complaints are (1) some character sprites are drawn at somewhat different scales and they look weird sharing the screen, and (2) I'm not into the love interest, I'd rather the lead stayed with his current girlfriend.
Starmaker: ...
Aye, sounds good. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on it. I might actually buy it.
Post edited July 06, 2019 by clarry
Starmaker: ...
clarry: Aye, sounds good. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on it. I might actually buy it.
I'll second Starmaker. It could stand alone if need be; you get left on a bit of a cliffhanger, but narratively the main conflict (at least, on the scope you've been dealing with) is resolved. I've seen stand-alone films with less closure.

As for the VN itself, I stand by my review on the store page. It's solidly a 4-star game.
Post edited July 07, 2019 by Crisco1492
nvm
Post edited July 07, 2019 by doady
AlienMind: book is way more interactive than picture-slideshow tho
Could you explain this? Both are a bit different because VNs have added music and pics but how on earth is a book way more interactive? Maybe you can do something with a book which I did not know about so it would be great if you could enlighten me. So far all I did was reading lines and turning pages ....
Well, I guess this is my haul.

I really hope we get the sequel to Amrilato someday soon though!
Attachments:
haul.jpg (467 Kb)
AlienMind: book is way more interactive than picture-slideshow tho
MarkoH01: Could you explain this? Both are a bit different because VNs have added music and pics but how on earth is a book way more interactive? Maybe you can do something with a book which I did not know about so it would be great if you could enlighten me. So far all I did was reading lines and turning pages ....
well, in a typical book there are words and not pictures. thus you can interpret them however you want (see: poetry) and have your own picture in your head and not the fixed one from the artist. also, you have the thing in your hand, thus you feel the book which already an interaction.
tl/dr: games without choices is like buying a ferrari without letting it roar.
MarkoH01: Could you explain this? Both are a bit different because VNs have added music and pics but how on earth is a book way more interactive? Maybe you can do something with a book which I did not know about so it would be great if you could enlighten me. So far all I did was reading lines and turning pages ....
AlienMind: well, in a typical book there are words and not pictures. thus you can interpret them however you want (see: poetry) and have your own picture in your head and not the fixed one from the artist. also, you have the thing in your hand, thus you feel the book which already an interaction.
tl/dr: games without choices is like buying a ferrari without letting it roar.
Interpreting a story has nothing to do with the story being interactive or not. Interaction would mean to activeley influence the story which is something you cannot do in a book. Also you still can interpret a story even if you have pictures and/or music in it - only the look of the story might get limited by pics but not the content. Calling "feel the book" interactive is quite a stretch imo and if you could call this interaction I could say the same about pressing a key to switch pages in a VN ;)

Not everybody has the same definition of "game" as you have and there are several games out there with little to no choices which still are enjoyable for several people.
Post edited July 08, 2019 by MarkoH01