It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Prepare for a wave of emotions and immersive reading experience! Visual novels are leading the way this weekend, up to -80% off.

Enjoy great storytelling of Sunrider Liberation Day (-70%), Serment - Contract with a Devil (-20%) and "fault" series from Sekai Project. Or empathize with characters in beautiful and uplifting narratives in The House in Fata Morgana (-30%), Higurashi When They Cry Hou (up to -50%) and eden*(-60%) from MangaGamer.

For those, who just want to simply spend time having fun and good drinks, Monster Prom (-50%) and VA-11 Hall-A (-34%) will be a great addition to your games collection.

The Weekend Sale ends July 8, 10pm UTC.
Some of these games are not just visual novels.

Serment is also a grid/turn-based/blobber dungeon crawler, albeit with primitive graphics (see the last image on the game page; there are no pics of combat) and a fairly small dungeon (8 floors, one of which is basically an arena).

The first two Sunrider games (MoA and Liberation Day; MoA isn't in the sale because it's free) are also hex/turn-based strategy games with mechs "in space" (see the last two images on their store pages). I can't comment much on Sunrider because I never played past the second battle in MoA and never played Liberation Day at all (and anyway, the latter is a direct sequel with game import or blind decision making if you haven't finished MoA).
Post edited July 05, 2019 by darktjm
These just aren't my thing but I hope somebody finds something they like.
low rated
GOG.com: Prepare for a wave of emotions and immersive reading experience! Visual novels are leading the way this weekend, up to -80% off.

Enjoy great storytelling of Sunrider Liberation Day (-70%), Serment - Contract with a Devil (-20%) and "fault" series from Sekai Project. Or empathize with characters in beautiful and uplifting narratives in The House in Fata Morgana (-30%), Higurashi When They Cry Hou (up to -50%) and eden*(-60%) from MangaGamer.

For those, who just want to simply spend time having fun and good drinks, Monster Prom (-50%) and VA-11 Hall-A (-34%) will be a great addition to your games collection.

The Weekend Sale ends July 8, 10pm UTC.
Question: Why are VN's so expensive for basically being interactive books?

Also why are the better ones all on steam?

:\
I very recently started reading the first Higurashi visual novel and currently own only that series (except the latest one) from GOG's visual novel catalogue. I've been also interested to get more of these.

This sale is a sign from GOG.
DarthSisu: I very recently started reading the first Higurashi visual novel and currently own only that series (except the latest one) from GOG's visual novel catalogue. I've been also interested to get more of these.

I noticed you had started reading it a few days ago.. how do you like it so far?
Post edited July 05, 2019 by clarry
low rated
Fairfox: (kinda) my jam!

dont really like to read,but i always hav fun
weaboooo ;)
DarthSisu: I very recently started reading the first Higurashi visual novel and currently own only that series (except the latest one) from GOG's visual novel catalogue. I've been also interested to get more of these.

clarry: I noticed you had started reading it a few days ago.. how do you like it so far?
I'm really enjoying it. I know some general stuff that's going to happen from the anime adaptation, but nothing too specific. I haven't watched it but heard some things about it. I'm interested to see how those things come about, the details relating to them and how the story develops from there.
DarthSisu: I'm really enjoying it. I know some general stuff that's going to happen from the anime adaptation, but nothing too specific. I haven't watched it but heard some things about it. I'm interested to see how those things come about, the details relating to them and how the story develops from there.
Do you use any extra patches?
I used them to up the quality of the higurashi hou visual novels. Or did you only read it without the voice and graphic patches?
I did see the anime and i know what is it about but that has been long ago that i have seen the anime.
Fonzer: Do you use any extra patches?
I used them to up the quality of the higurashi hou visual novels. Or did you only read it without the voice and graphic patches?
I did see the anime and i know what is it about but that has been long ago that i have seen the anime.
Nothing extra. So far I've been reading it completely vanilla, the way it happens to be in the GOG version.

I am using the upgraded character sprites that are the default in the GOG version, but nothing outside of what comes installed with the game.
Post edited July 05, 2019 by DarthSisu
GameRager: Question: Why are VN's so expensive for basically being interactive books?
Isn't that a bit too reductionist?

First because the prices range from free to a few dozen bucks. It doesn't seem exceedingly expensive to me?

Second, it's not the technology that costs money. You can make a fancy first person fantasy rpg using off the shelf parts, but you're going to need a content mill if you want to fill the world with things.

If you need a story, visual art (backgrounds, characters, animations), music, voice acting, programming, q&a, testing, translation, etc. it can get expensive. Lots of people involved, of course they all want their share. I'd say it's roughly proportional to production values, unless it's a labour of love like Narcissu. Oh, I wish we had that on GOG (even if it is free). I love Narcissu.

You can now pick up "indies" like Ne No Kami or Highway Blossoms for about five bucks but they're not at all in the same league with the likes of Da Capo.

I'm sure supply & demand plays its role, of course. It's not like we're looking at a catalog of 2000 VNs old and new, with millions of people lining up to purchase them.. but I think it's a genre where quality > quantity matters much more than with (mechanical) games you can play 'til you get bored and move on to the next one. I mean nobody wants to start reading a (visual, interactive or not) book only to get bored 35% of the way in and move on to the next equally boring book that just looks a little different?
Post edited July 06, 2019 by clarry
low rated
Fairfox: (kinda) my jam!

dont really like to read,but i always hav fun
AlienMind: weaboooo ;)
:P come at me, bro! :P
GameRager: Question: Why are VN's so expensive for basically being interactive books?
Gonna turn it on the head: it's because they're interactive books. I preordered the physical edition of Bloodstained for $60 in real dollars and I'm currently stuck on the first boss (fucking camera!). Fata Morgana cost me the regional equivalent of $15 and I got 45 hours out of it. It's a continuous stream of original content.

GameRager: Also why are the better ones all on steam?

:\
Well Hatoful Boyfriend is on here, thanks to Devolver. Capcom I think is being a dick regarding regional pricing (if nothing else) with Phoenix Wright. The other best ones are all published by Spike Chunsoft, and GOG doesn't seem to have an in with Japanese publishers.

Firsthand recommendations:
Hatoful Boyfriend - liquid awesome, excellent translation, fat bird
Monster Prom - replayable CYOA, Western, funny
Fata Morgana - shit overall story, great music
Kindred Spirits - lesbian schoolgirl romance
Memory's Dogma - ok story, high production values
Cinders - Western, short, replayable
Fault - pretty but claw-your-eyes-out dumb at times, girly, ok story
Fairy Bell - good, with occasional leaks of idiocy from Fault

Secondhand recommendations:
Higurashi - I only played 1 and thought it pointless, but the recommendation comes from the 21st century equivalent of Norman Borlaug so there
Eden - some uwu grill thing
Starmaker: Gonna turn it on the head: it's because they're interactive books. [..] It's a continuous stream of original content.
Well put.

Memory's Dogma - ok story, high production values
Hmm, I hadn't paid attention to this one in the past. But now that I look at the voice cast & visuals, it seems quite worthy. Now I'm on the edge! Because I'm not too keen on buying episodic titles when only the first part has been released (years ago) and there's no sign of the next one..
low rated
book is way more interactive than picture-slideshow tho
Anyone old enough to remember "Choose your own adventure" books?

-If you want to go left, turn to page 24.
-If you want to go right, turn to page 56.

I miss those.