It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Time to put your trenchcoat on, take the spying glass from the drawer and solve some mysteries – you have the whole weekend to do it.

First books, then movies and finally games created many memorable detective adventures, which engaged us in gripping and blood-freezing stories and made us rack our brains over mysteries. This weekend you can become a detective and plunge into the gritty atmosphere of those noir tales.

Start with the greatest detective of all time, Sherlock Holmes, and face-off Jack the Ripper, solve the Secret of the Silver Earring and confront Cthulhu. You can also travel around the world solving secret Templars' conspiracies together with George and Nico in the Broken Sword series. For those looking for some neo-noir sci-fi adventures, Wadjet Eye's Gemini Rue is a perfect fit, that beyond moody music and gritty atmosphere, tells a story that will leave you thinking about the very nature of the human psyche and even free will. You can also try your skills in a take on the classic detective story in The Last Express, where time is your biggest enemy, or follow a non-linear story in Telling Lies starring real-life actors Logan Marshall-Green, Alexandra Shipp, Kerry Bishé and Angela Sarafyan.

The detective weekend sale will last till 1PM UTC on October 7.
This is the one thing, that I'd rather watch on TV than play. Games that specialize on detective mysteries seem to rarely be platformers, action adventures and action RPGs, the stuff which I mostly play.
As a kid I used to watch Hercules Poirot with my Mom. Loved that series. If there was a game about Poirot, it would be fun to try for nostalgia.
ParaTerrastian: If there was a game about Poirot, it would be fun to try for nostalgia.
There is at least one on GOG: Agatha Christie - The ABC Murders
I don’t know how good it is, but it seems to be really cheap right now.
ParaTerrastian: If there was a game about Poirot, it would be fun to try for nostalgia.
vv221: There is at least one on GOG: Agatha Christie - The ABC Murders
I don’t know how good it is, but it seems to be really cheap right now.
It's quite respectful to the source material.
When I played it, it had some issues here and there (like one specific puzzle had to be reloaded), but it was generally a well polished game with moody graphics and sound. It's not great, but certainly good.
IFW: It's not great, but certainly good.
From time perspective I'd agree, but when I've checked my own words from 2y ago...
I have a lot of mixed feelings here. At first I was in love with the game atmosphere, humour, Poirot's accent and mechanics. There is an interesting and innovative "brain cells" mechanism, which means you're collecting facts, observations and parts of information to match them properly deducting some other clues. It looked that it would be nice challenging adventure showing the brilliant mind of Hercules Poirot.

Unfortunately it quickly turns out that:
■ the game is extremely linear, with no exploration, just a location or two available at once (and not more then 4 items at max)
■ it's far to easy - the only challenge comes with some complicated mechanisms and hoards found here and there
■ a lot of answers are obvious before the game reveals them, which is fundamental mistake in case of detective story
■ the game is slow-paced in general and some operations may become frustrating (e.g. comparing letters - the result is known at first sight, but you need to execute a lot of boring actions and listen to the same comments a few times)
■ part of questions in "brain cells" minigames are terribly designed - instead of looking for clues and answer, you're wondering what the author had in mind
■ also scenes of crimes look quite obvious and there is absolutely no fun in guessing the events in "Reconstrucion" minigames

Nothing but wasted potential, I'm afraid.
I'm surprised there is one. Point and click gameplay isn't my thing (at all) and the reception is on the mixed side, but as I told before I like Poirot stories. The voice actor imitates David Suchet very well. Also being easy and linear is a plus, since I'd be there for the story. I'll consider this one. Might end up watching a walkthrough on YT.
ParaTerrastian: I'll consider this one. Might end up watching a walkthrough on YT.
No, don't do this, For the current price it's definitely worth trying!
I remember the game much better than my first impressions from above. It may not be perfect, but for sure it's worth a few bucks and a few hours.
Which ones of these games that allow me to play as a badass detective ala Fox Mulder?
Fahrenheit (Indigo Prophecy) - all time low at 80% off! Great game.
wormholewizards: Which ones of these games that allow me to play as a badass detective ala Fox Mulder?
I don't think GOG has one but I DO know you can play as him on a game for the ps2(I have it now). You can also play an unnamed rookie agent looking for Fox Mulder in the PS1 FMV game(which I also have).

===========
zaMNal: Fahrenheit (Indigo Prophecy) - all time low at 80% off! Great game.
Great game: awesome music, cutscenes, plot(mostly), etc.

The damn constant quicktime events, timed dialog, and that one level in the dark asylum are minuses, though.
Post edited October 06, 2019 by GameRager