It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

high rated
Looks like GOG continues its slow but sure transformation into another Steam
low rated
Games are DRM-free.

What's all this s**t?

People with nothing to do, can complain just about ANYTHING!

Just LOL
high rated
BulletsOfCuddles: Games are DRM-free.

What's all this s**t?

Just LOL
It's not "complain about anything". The downloader was a really helpful way to download larger games, and there is people that doesn't like galaxy.
high rated
BulletsOfCuddles: Games are DRM-free.

What's all this s**t?

Just LOL
GOG used to mean way more than just DRM-free.
BKGaming: I believe GOG's reasoning for the shortcuts pointing to Galaxy was to cut down on support request from people who had Galaxy installed but did not realize Galaxy had to be running and that the game had to be played via Galaxy to get access to features like cloud saves, achievements, etc. It that sense, I can understand GOG's reasoning here.
That would only be true for the Galaxy installations but not for offline installers. In these cases (which aren't fixed yet) GOG simply made a mistake. Somebody who goes the extra mile to download offline installers (we all know they are kind of hidden in regard to the BIG BLUE BUTTON) are in most cases not those wo would want to have additional Galaxy features and if this would be the case they would know how to get them. A newbie will simply press the BIG BLUE BUTTON and never run into this problem.
Post edited June 26, 2020 by MarkoH01
MarkoH01: That would only be true for the Galaxy installations but not for offline installers. In these cases (which aren't fixed yet) GOG simply made a mistake. Somebody who goes the extra mile to download offline installers (we all know they are kind of hidden in regard to the BIG BLUE BUTTON) are in most cases not those wo would want to have additional Galaxy features and if this would be the case they would know how to get them. A newbie will simply press the BIG BLUE BUTTON and never run into this problem.
You might be right, but without the data to support it - it's just a guess like any other.
I don't mind using Galaxy at all, but I download the offline installers because that's what DRM free is all about. But I also don't care for Galaxy related files in my offline installers. Am I a minority? Probably, but I can't prove it, so I won't make a statement about it.
To the last poster you are NOT alone.
MarkoH01: That would only be true for the Galaxy installations but not for offline installers. In these cases (which aren't fixed yet) GOG simply made a mistake. Somebody who goes the extra mile to download offline installers (we all know they are kind of hidden in regard to the BIG BLUE BUTTON) are in most cases not those wo would want to have additional Galaxy features and if this would be the case they would know how to get them. A newbie will simply press the BIG BLUE BUTTON and never run into this problem.
teceem: You might be right, but without the data to support it - it's just a guess like any other.
I don't mind using Galaxy at all, but I download the offline installers because that's what DRM free is all about. But I also don't care for Galaxy related files in my offline installers. Am I a minority? Probably, but I can't prove it, so I won't make a statement about it.
I am doing the same thing. But people who are ACTIVELY downloading the offline installers are in most cases also those that already now that they need to launch the games through Galaxy to get Galaxy features if they even are interested in those features. Again: every newbie will instinctively click on the BIG BLUE BUTTON - it's just too big to not do so ...
I haven't read the whole of this thread, but I think this decision by GOG is really a shame. Not everyone wants a separate launcher app and the fact that in the past it wasn't mandatory was something that differentiated GOG from other platforms. The downloader was very useful for those that didn't want to use GOG Galaxy and, really, how much overhead was it to maintain?

I love GOG and it will certainly continue to be my preferred platform, but ... yeah, a shame :-(
Time4Tea: I haven't read the whole of this thread, but I think this decision by GOG is really a shame. Not everyone wants a separate launcher app and the fact that in the past it wasn't mandatory was something that differentiated GOG from other platforms.
Maybe you should've read a bit more, because Galaxy (still) isn't mandatory for downloading.
high rated
Time4Tea: I haven't read the whole of this thread, but I think this decision by GOG is really a shame. Not everyone wants a separate launcher app and the fact that in the past it wasn't mandatory was something that differentiated GOG from other platforms.
teceem: Maybe you should've read a bit more, because Galaxy (still) isn't mandatory for downloading.
Oh, I know and I didn't mean to imply that it was. But still, taking away the downloader makes things less convenient for those that don't want Galaxy. Just my opinion, but I get the impression they are trying to push it a bit too much.
low rated
You guys won't use an app to launch and play games (GOG Galaxy), but you still want to use an app to download games? That's nonsense.

Just install GOG Galaxy and get over it. If you don't want an app to manage your downloads, just use your browser.

This whole thread is pointless, as my post is.
Post edited June 27, 2020 by BulletsOfCuddles
high rated
BulletsOfCuddles: You guys won't use an app to launch and play games (GOG Galaxy), but you still want to use an app to download games? That's nonsense.

Just install GOG Galaxy and get over it. If you don't want an app to manage your downloads, just use your browser.

This whole thread is pointless, as my post is.
You obviously didn't take the time or trouble to at least do some, I stress light, browsing of the topic before climbing on your high horses and offer your 'contribution' which stems from either a lack of intellectual honesty, or sheer ignorance on this particular subject. And if you either didn't know or never used the Gog Downloader program and so checked about it, you'd realize why you cannot compare it with the bloatware that Galaxy is in comparison. These are 2 different tools which I again repeat cannot be compared.

So I'll recap what has been pointed out again and again for those who, like you, graced us with such dismissive responses.

Gog Downloader, a very light program which you barely noticed was running, as it's name suggested, was solely used for downloading your offline installers, It was never meant to be anything else but just that.

Galaxy on the other hand is a whole different beast, and a resource hungry one at that, way overkill for those not interested in all the features it's got running under the hood. Let's put aside its game launcher, account/forum browsing, achievements and the whole nine yard, and let's just focus about only downloading here, okay?

Think we're not aware you can use it to just download your offline -those without the Galaxy included in- installers? Sure do but again, that's where it and Gog Downloader are like day and night. Galaxy as a dowloader is bloated as I repeat has way too much running under the hood, which has a negative impact, and speed drops too can often be an issue

And yes, we also know about browser downloading, also covered in this discussion. While many are lucky to not encounter issues with, especially large, downloads, a lot of others have and if you understand about browser downloading -and here I stress browser alone and not with download managers ad-dons and whatnot- as well as understand all about connection protocols and how this affects downloads, then you'll know why the reluctance to use browser for downloading games worth quite a few gigabytes each, especially if you happen to be on a capped internet plan since not everybody happens to be on an unlimited one.

All the above has thoroughly been covered in this and the other Gog Downloader thread, if you or anyone cares to actually properly educate themselves on the subject, that is of course unless it's all a waste of time for them to do so.
Surely OP will deliver.
low rated
I never knew this feature existed until I saw this thread. So, how can I miss something I did not even know it existed. I can not miss it.
Post edited June 30, 2020 by Wishmaster777