It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I might as well upgrade. It isn't like AMD will be making drivers for my generation of cards anymore despite continuously lying to our faces and saying they will and to "look out for it and be patience" (nearly two-three years later now?), so I don't have to worry about driver issues borking anything up.

I hope 18.04 LTS isn't as buggy as 16.04 LTS was when it was released. I have never had so many issues as I did with it on any Ubuntu, and I've been using Ubuntu since I was a kid.

nightspirit322: So... when's GOG Galaxy coming to Ubuntu 18.04?
linuxvangog: I'm afraid nothing has changed in terms of our plans for Linux Galaxy client. It's not being worked on currently and there is no time estimate for when we're gonna take care of it. But yes, it will be done eventually.
Wait, what? Since when did it change to not being worked on?

Now it looks like PlayOnLinux using a severely old Galaxy is the only method for Linux goers is the option if they want Galaxy. This is is extremely disappointing... :(
linuxvangog: [...] it will be done eventually.
HypersomniacLive: Eventually you said? Is that before or after the from_the_ground_up notification system for game updates?
Before the end of universe.
high rated
kbnrylaec: Before the end of universe.
that's too soon, it'll be ready two universes from now
linuxvangog: I'm afraid nothing has changed in terms of our plans for Linux Galaxy client. It's not being worked on currently and there is no time estimate for when we're gonna take care of it. But yes, it will be done eventually.
so GOG create a feature for the new profiles, but don't give the penguins the tools to use it? Why not open-source the api so that either Gnome Games or Lutris can go do the Job that GOG can't?
Post edited April 27, 2018 by te_lanus
Though I appreciate the continued Linux support on GOG, this is the first time I've heard that they're not even currently working on GOG Galaxy for Linux. A bit concerning if I'm honest. I hope they get back to porting it and don't abandon Galaxy for Linux completely.
Why not an actual distro that actually has up to date packages, like Arch, Fedora, and {searches notes} Mageia?

This is one part hot take against Debian in general, and one part actual question.
Darvond: Why not an actual distro that actually has up to date packages, like Arch, Fedora, and {searches notes} Mageia?

This is one part hot take against Debian in general, and one part actual question.
Solus would be the best choice.
Kayx291: Solus would be the best choice.
Maybe, but it doesn't fit to any of the Linux houses, making it an oddball like Puppy.
te_lanus: so GOG create a feature for the new profiles, but don't give the penguins the tools to use it? Why not open-source the api so that either Gnome Games or Lutris can go do the Job that GOG can't?
Yepoleb's API documentation has most of this covered . And lgogdownloader already has an (experimental) implementation of the file transfer over the galaxy api.
so if you/somebody wants to build something like that for lutris, go get cracking ;) the necessary information is out there

(but since linux builds don't get published over galaxy, even having a downloader is of limited use for us linux users)
Darvond: Why not an actual distro that actually has up to date packages, like Arch, Fedora, and {searches notes} Mageia?
i doubt GOG's choice is based on what they think is the best linux distro. It's just the simple question about which distro has the largest user base. And that would be without doubt Ubuntu + derivatives like Mint.
certainly not Mageia or Solus
Post edited April 28, 2018 by immi101
immi101: Yepoleb's API documentation has most of this covered . And lgogdownloader already has an (experimental) implementation of the file transfer over the galaxy api.
so if you/somebody wants to build something like that for lutris, go get cracking ;) the necessary information is out there

(but since linux builds don't get published over galaxy, even having a downloader is of limited use for us linux users)
i doubt GOG's choice is based on what they think is the best linux distro. It's just the simple question about which distro has the largest user base. And that would be without doubt Ubuntu + derivatives like Mint.
There is no best, that would defeat the entire purpose. Linux is just what you make of it. I am wondering why there isn't support for things that aren't LTS hell. Fedora is due to upgrade on time, and many other distros are rolling release. With Mint, you're still looking at some systems still using the 2.X release of Wine, rather than 3.X.
Just a few months ago the offered Wine version in Linux Mint's repositories was v1.6.2 but at least someone got around to fixing that, thank you whoever you are. I would not be surprised if that someone uses GOG. I did not check but presume it was fed in from Ubuntu or Debian.
why oh why can't you post official announcements gog. i noticed a "partner" sale on google search. when i navigate to gog site homepage or forums, there was nothing to go on. just the link provided by google. 24 hours later, i see this thread pop-up. unbelievable

Probably because, despite common belief among Fedora and Arch users, the average Linux goer is, from what I have seen, intimidated by those two distros. They're trying to make it easier on the average joe, I guess. Ubuntu is very easy to install and is very easy to use, so it is picked.
Dorzalty: Probably because, despite common belief among Fedora and Arch users, the average Linux goer is, from what I have seen, intimidated by those two distros. They're trying to make it easier on the average joe, I guess. Ubuntu is very easy to install and is very easy to use, so it is picked.
Fedora is quite easy to install and use too. Does this look scary?

I will admit, Arch doesn't come with a graphical installer. But it also isn't made for the new user.
Dorzalty: Probably because, despite common belief among Fedora and Arch users, the average Linux goer is, from what I have seen, intimidated by those two distros. They're trying to make it easier on the average joe, I guess. Ubuntu is very easy to install and is very easy to use, so it is picked.
Darvond: Fedora is quite easy to install and use too. Does this look scary?

I will admit, Arch doesn't come with a graphical installer. But it also isn't made for the new user.
Fedora to me, no, as I've been using Linux since the late '90s, but that image...no, but if you ask the average Linux newb, they'll tell you that. Fedora is too hard or confusing.

And Arch will just make them cry. haha but yea, just saying, that's why GOG isn't going with things like Arch. They're not just trying to go for users like you, but for the vast majority of people who overwhelm people like you and me.
immi101: i doubt GOG's choice is based on what they think is the best linux distro. It's just the simple question about which distro has the largest user base. And that would be without doubt Ubuntu + derivatives like Mint.
Darvond: There is no best, that would defeat the entire purpose. Linux is just what you make of it. I am wondering why there isn't support for things that aren't LTS hell. Fedora is due to upgrade on time, and many other distros are rolling release. With Mint, you're still looking at some systems still using the 2.X release of Wine, rather than 3.X.
money. supporting multiple distributions needs additional time and manpower to support. I mean that's the main issue why Linux had always problems to attract commercial software vendors.
From a strictly business point of view, with the limited role that Linux plays in the gaming world, it's probably the most cost efficient method to pick the distribution which covers the largest user base and focus your support on that.

don't get me wrong, I absolutely share your sentiments wrt LTS distributions. But that doesn't change the fact that the free, unrestricted and ever moving nature of the linux/open source ecosystem stands in eternal conflict with (most) commercial software developers who very much prefer a more static, controlled environment to limit support & maintenance costs.