It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Bow tie optional.

Alright, look alive everyone, we got some cool people visiting! Starting today and until Sunday the 22nd of July, Twitch.tv/gogcom will be hosting 20+ streamers in a packed schedule that covers games from across the indie and not-so-indie spectrum. Cuphead, Hero-U, Dead Cells, West of Loathing, The Witcher 3, and VtM: Bloodlines are only some of the titles you can expect to see being played throughout the week by our esteemed streamer friends.

The Guest Streamer Week debuts today, Monday the 16th at 8pm UTC with The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind!
Post edited July 16, 2018 by Piranka
so what is supposed to be the binding link, the common ground or whatever, the pillars values and such of the gog channel exactly ? (genuinely asking)

The stream team is to be expected to change because of the completely legitimate right of volunteers to claim back their time for their own project, after already having given some of this time willingly and genuinely to the community so far.

The viewer base and the viewer community is also expected to change, because of the need of 'analytics results" on one side,and the fact new entries in the team (and of course guest hosts too) bring part of their own audience in, of course.

I really wish that some of the things that are supposed to bind us all (streamers and viewers) together within the gog channel would be laid down clearly and explicitly, so that people joining in (for brief curiosity or for longer stay) have a vague idea of the whole thing already.

And also to keep the gog channel the place on twitch when we wouldnt have to get cornered to not explain, but rather "defend" and justify the whole notion of drm free, for example. It is tedious, it had been done a lot already, it can be expected to feel it as a marginal pointless notion on any other channel on the twitchiverse but i'd be happy if at least gog brand channel there could be a safe zone of some RESTING on that regard, frankly... (sounds ranty, i can see... well... in fact it's exactly as it looks... :) but it is just an example. I guess other situations non related to that could arise )

ti make it short; what is exactly gog channel's identity ?

when i joined it early 2016, i felt at home instantly... now i just feel like a stranger there of a party not to disturb...
Djaron: ti make it short; what is exactly gog channel's identity ?
Secret but[t] fun?
ArachnosX: Secret but[t] fun?
well, initially when i joined, people there told me it was cannibalism already... :)
ArachnosX: Secret but[t] fun?
LOL
outstarwalker: I would love for GOG to open an official Discord channel for everyone to join. I think it's safe to say there were talks about it, but we're still waiting for progress in this matter (which slow pace is probably dictated by the possible problems of moderation and possible channel takeover which happens sometimes on more popular, open Discords)
For the record (not joining in on the conversation or really even replying to you, this is mostly a comment for everyone reading), there actually is a Discord server. Two of them, even. Both are unofficial, but they exist and they're fairly active.

This here is Wing of GOG, the one I run. Sort of the "general GOG" server and the more active (and first) of the two, has a very handy #gog_announcements channel for listing stuff that might otherwise go unnoticed unless you're lurking hard on the forum.
https://discord.gg/Kvz5ZBq

This one is GOG Fans, run by Senteria. Originally opened as a place to hang after the GOG Twitch streams, but now is sort of boiled down to a "general GOG" server as well. A bit more laid-back and chill of an atmosphere than the Wing has, if slower pacing is your thing (although it can get fairly hectic at times, depending).
https://discord.gg/bT2HJ9k
Post edited July 18, 2018 by zeogold
For whatever reason, I did read Bioshock 2... what? But than I realized, that I was superficially reading. It says System Shock 2. Oh, well.
Post edited July 18, 2018 by vadalma2018
Guys, great news, no more Gwent streams after the one that's ongoing now! :D Yay!

I genuinely wonder if these Gwent streams are explicitly asked for by GOG? Because the vast majority of the regular GOG viewers (the ones that speak up in chat, anyway) couldn't care less about Gwent. In fact, if the thoughts on Gwent of both the Forum and the twitch GOG community were something GOG cared about, CDPRED would be very embarrassed by Gwent and it wouldn't even be available here on GOG... if only because it DOES have microtransactions, and the fact it's basically an online multiplayer game only borderline makes it not DRM-free.

These Gwent streamers seem nice enough (I kind of feel sorry for the guy streaming right now, because chat is either silent or it's just their own regular viewers talking), but I honestly think Gwent streams are not something GOG viewers care about. And I keep seeing regulars of these folks' channels congratulating them for "making it to GOG"... first of all, you didn't "make it to GOG", you're a guest Gwent streamer trying to pique the interest for a game every GOG regular already knows -- and doesn't care -- about. And if it's just your own regular viewers watching, anyway, you might as well be streaming on your own channel.

So, I'm basically keeping quiet. Because I'm not a positive person, sorry. If the Stream Team thinks they're the only ones who make up the GOG twitch community, and that makes it "a positive community", completely forgetting about all the regular viewers who are sardonic and caustic and not positive at all, then, yeah, this is a very fractured community, and the "higher ups" are clearly deluded, only seeing the colorful and the positive about things. Because this community is comprised of all of us, not just the ones you like, not just the sycophants, not just the "positive" cute ones. I think Zyttoire put it very simply when he said he used to feel like part of this community, but now he just feels like an uninvited guest at a party. That's all there is to it.

Anyway, the Gwent publicity is done, we don't like it, we don't care, GOG is happy with the advertising (hopefully?), thanks, let's move on to people streaming games we do want to watch.
groze: Guys, great news, no more Gwent streams after the one that's ongoing now! :D Yay!

I genuinely wonder if these Gwent streams are explicitly asked for by GOG? Because the vast majority of the regular GOG viewers (the ones that speak up in chat, anyway) couldn't care less about Gwent. In fact, if the thoughts on Gwent of both the Forum and the twitch GOG community were something GOG cared about, CDPRED would be very embarrassed by Gwent and it wouldn't even be available here on GOG... if only because it DOES have microtransactions, and the fact it's basically an online multiplayer game only borderline makes it not DRM-free.

These Gwent streamers seem nice enough (I kind of feel sorry for the guy streaming right now, because chat is either silent or it's just their own regular viewers talking), but I honestly think Gwent streams are not something GOG viewers care about. And I keep seeing regulars of these folks' channels congratulating them for "making it to GOG"... first of all, you didn't "make it to GOG", you're a guest Gwent streamer trying to pique the interest for a game every GOG regular already knows -- and doesn't care -- about. And if it's just your own regular viewers watching, anyway, you might as well be streaming on your own channel.

So, I'm basically keeping quiet. Because I'm not a positive person, sorry. If the Stream Team thinks they're the only ones who make up the GOG twitch community, and that makes it "a positive community", completely forgetting about all the regular viewers who are sardonic and caustic and not positive at all, then, yeah, this is a very fractured community, and the "higher ups" are clearly deluded, only seeing the colorful and the positive about things. Because this community is comprised of all of us, not just the ones you like, not just the sycophants, not just the "positive" cute ones. I think Zyttoire put it very simply when he said he used to feel like part of this community, but now he just feels like an uninvited guest at a party. That's all there is to it.

Anyway, the Gwent publicity is done, we don't like it, we don't care, GOG is happy with the advertising (hopefully?), thanks, let's move on to people streaming games we do want to watch.
And it's a fun game that people enjoy.

I get you may not like Gwent and the others you talk to about it, but the fact is it's still popular among many people.
As for all the joking/comments about watching gameplay videos being pointless...
I generally avoid watching gameplay of games I'm going to play. However, I like to watch gameplay of games I've already played to see what others did; or that I'll never play but seemed interesting, to see the story.

I can tell from descriptions and such when I won't be able to jump through hoops required to make the story progress in a game. I appreciate when someone else can do that and can also share it. It's also nice when there's multiple endings, especially from different people playing it. Saves me lots of time, in addition to making it possible for me to see the endings. I can't say I always like the choices other people make, but then again that's often how movies and books turn out. (Come to think of it, in people's real lives, too. Meh.)

I prefer videos after they've been recorded, so I can skip ahead. Or if it's a speedrun that's taking too long. Or replay sections, maybe to figure out the commentary. A gameplay video sometimes inspires me to try something out in a game that I've already played, which makes the replay ability helpful.
Linko90: And it's a fun game that people enjoy.

I get you may not like Gwent and the others you talk to about it, but the fact is it's still popular among many people.
You're absolutely right, Linko, it's a fun game that people enjoy, and it's popular among many people. But so is Candy Crush. Would GOG sell Candy Crush if they struck a deal with King? Just for the money?

I'm not one of those people spreading fear mongering on these forums, complaining that GOG now sells DRM games with microtransactions, but at the end of the day, that's exactly what Gwent is. It's a F2P card collecting game. A good one, true, maybe even great, but is there a place on GOG for games with DRM? A lot of GOG users got progressively upset as time went on and GOG slowly dropped some "principles" along the way. I stuck with GOG all this time, but as soon as they start making games with DRM available, that's where I draw the line. So far, it's been easy to just ignore Gwent altogether, but I feel advertising it does GOG more harm than good. "Oh, look, our DRM-free store now sells a game with microtransactions!" is not exactly great publicity, I'd think...

Either way, you're right, it's a good game that some people like, and it's probably making CD Projekt a decent amount of money with all the microtransactions and the esports and all that stuff. And I did enjoy this last Gwent streamer. A lot. So there's that, at least.
groze: Guys, great news, no more Gwent streams after the one that's ongoing now! :D Yay!

I genuinely wonder if these Gwent streams are explicitly asked for by GOG? Because the vast majority of the regular GOG viewers (the ones that speak up in chat, anyway) couldn't care less about Gwent.
I can only repeat: The streamers choose what they want to play.
And we will continue to have streams on the channel that don't appeal to everybody, and that includes hardcore strategy games, JRPGs and other stuff as well.
We are a variety channel and will stream all kinds of games available on GOG (and allowed on Twitch).
And yes, we generally have fun doing it. :D
Linko90: And it's a fun game that people enjoy.

groze: You're absolutely right, Linko, it's a fun game that people enjoy, and it's popular among many people. But so is Candy Crush. Would GOG sell Candy Crush if they struck a deal with King? Just for the money?

I'm not one of those people spreading fear mongering on these forums, complaining that GOG now sells DRM games with microtransactions, but at the end of the day, that's exactly what Gwent is. It's a F2P card collecting game. A good one, true, maybe even great, but is there a place on GOG for games with DRM? A lot of GOG users got progressively upset as time went on and GOG slowly dropped some "principles" along the way. I stuck with GOG all this time, but as soon as they start making games with DRM available, that's where I draw the line. So far, it's been easy to just ignore Gwent altogether, but I feel advertising it does GOG more harm than good. "Oh, look, our DRM-free store now sells a game with microtransactions!" is not exactly great publicity, I'd think...

Either way, you're right, it's a good game that some people like, and it's probably making CD Projekt a decent amount of money with all the microtransactions and the esports and all that stuff. And I did enjoy this last Gwent streamer. A lot. So there's that, at least.
I have no idea why you are talking about Candy Crush and feel like you are going in random directions to validate a theory which simply is not true. Gwent isn't forced on any of the streamers, it even makes up a small portion of the streamed content in the grand scheme of things.
groze: If the Stream Team thinks they're the only ones who make up the GOG twitch community, and that makes it "a positive community", completely forgetting about all the regular viewers who are sardonic and caustic and not positive at all, then, yeah, this is a very fractured community, and the "higher ups" are clearly deluded, only seeing the colorful and the positive about things.
So you want them to do sardonic, caustic and not positive streams to feel included?
Was the team a lot more cynical and negative about stuff back in the days, which is why you felt included?

To be very honest here, when I started doing more streams on my own channel and eventually shifted the hours so I only streamed on GOG twice per week and on my channel on all other days, I felt like my own chat was way more positive and I sometimes felt unwelcomed by some viewers of GOG channel when I came back to do my regular streams. Or, if not unwelcomed, then just burdened with the general cynical rule of the chat.

People were, and in some part still are, way more negative about games, bugs, technical issues, or any changes that we tried to mix up in regular stuff to make it more interesting. It sometimes felt similar to GOG forums.

This is by now greatly reduced by introducing many different people from other corners of Twitch to the channel which brought fresh names, never-seen-before nicknames and variety to chat. Moderation also tries to get rid of political talk (that absolutely doesn't belong to Twitch chat) and people with swords keep their guard not to start any rufus in chat with regular users. This makes the whole chat experience way nicer.

But yeah, I guess also unwelcoming for people who want to argue with other chat members or talk about politics, not sure.
I'm surprised because I didn't expect to come to a thread about such an awesome event and see these kinds of responses. I'm honestly a little confused here...do some of you really believe we're all just a bunch of GOGbots? Well...aside from Linko since it says they're a GOG Automated Bot :P But seriously, GOG doesn't hound us like that. At all, really. We're bound by NDA like anyone else that participates within the industry as a content creator, but our opinions and reactions are our own.

I've never been pressured to not speak ill of a game or even GOG itself. For anyone that knows even the slightest about me, they know I'm very outspoken and say what I feel. As far as streams go, we choose what we want to play. This goes for both stream team members, and every last guest streamer. There were actually LESS Gwent streams because some of us mentioned that there were a bunch of them already, lol. There's no conspiracy here. GOG isn't sitting behind us micromanaging everything. I'm sorry that's the impression some of you have gotten, but it simply isn't true.

I'm also sorry that some of you feel unwelcome as that's definitely no one's intent either. All of us work hard at cultivating a welcoming community, and yes, a positive one. Having a negative, angry stream isn't fun unless that's just your schtick, I guess. For me, if that's how my stream is turning out, I'm not having fun. I'm not enjoying myself, and viewers aren't getting the best side of me. If this is what people want, I apologize I won't be able to deliver. :(
I got Luminocity a few days ago when it was a Daily Deal. It's being played later today, but I want to play it first before seeing how someone else goes about it. Still no time, yet. I'll likely end up watching the recording instead.

I'm looking forward to the Alpha Centauri game on Saturday. Haven't played that in a long time, and it's on my wishlist for nostalgia reasons. Not a type of game I play anymore, but maybe seeing it in action again might spur some of my memories.
Post edited July 18, 2018 by thomq