It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

high rated
MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT
--------------------------------------
The game ends in 12 hours.

From this point on, you can win a code and then give that code to anyone you want, so long as they have Rep of 25 and have been here since May 2015.

Codes not used will go back to their donators in 12 hours.

Good luck!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

LINKS:

TREASUREHACK MAIN DISCUSSION

TREASUREHACK REDEMPTION

TREASUREHACK STORY UPDATES

DOWNLOAD THE GAME

Welcome to the Summer 2015 Treasure Hunt! Here's everything you need to know.

WHO
---
Community member who have a start date of May 2015 or earlier and a rep of 25 or more.
This treasure hunt is for the community here at GOG, not for code-snatching mean people.
That's why the limit is set.
Also, if your name appears on the known scammers list, then you are out of luck.

WHAT
----
This is a game. Here's the story:

You're a 16 year old kid. Your parents are out for the weekend for some grand escape and you're stuck at home alone.
For extra cash, you repair computers of friends and family. You have three in your little workshop in the basement, so you decide to head downstairs to the basement (which is a little creepy, but you like it that way) and start working.

An hour into your work, you hear the doorbell. You run upstairs and answer the door. It's your weird neighbor, Paul.

"Hey," he says. "Want to watch Jurassic World? My dad got a bootleg."

"Sure," you say and head over to Paul's house. Although he's weird, his dad always has something illegal and fun to do at his house. He's one of those guys that just doesn't care about the rules -- but he also doesn't go so over-the-top that you feel like you're in danger.

After the movie, you wish Paul a good Friday evening and get back to the basement. But after those thrills and chills from the poorly-bootlegged film, you think it'd be more fun to rummage through your Dad's old boxes.

When he's gone, you like going through his old things from when he was in college or when your parents were freshly married. It's mostly cool stuff that your mom doesn't want in the house. Like his old Commodore 64 and awesome computer magazines. But it seems that no matter how many times your rummage around, you always find something new.

And this night, it's no different. You find the strangest thing you've ever seen. First, you see a box with a red stamp that says "TOP SECRET" on the top. You open it up and find an electronic device that resembles an old oscilloscope and a torn-out page from what was a manual.

The page says "This device uses magnetic inferences through power systems to analyze and interpret logic signals from most computers. For government use only." The rest of the manual is nowhere to be found.

You scratch your head. Did your dad work for the government? Or did he acquire this in some other way?

You pull the device out and look it over. It's just a six inch CRT that tapers back into a power plug. No power cord at all, just the plug.

You decide to plug it in...

http://www.gog.com/forum/general/treasurehack_story_updates

WHERE
-----
At your PC running Windows. You will probably need Direct X 9 installed. http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109
The game uses a Direct X 8 and 9 engine.

WHEN
----
At this time on Saturday: http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=Treasure+Hunt&iso=20150627T07&p1=171&ah=6
If you won't be awake, join when you are awake. I have a feeling a few of these games will elude even the best detectives for quite some time.

WHY
---
To win games! $296.72 worth!
The Bard's Tale x2
The Masterplan
M&M Collection
Age of Wonders
Shadowgate
STALKER
Wizardy 8
Ethan Carter
Grimrock 2
The Last Federation
Mount and Blade Warband
Star Wars Starfighter
Expeditions:Conquistador
Wasteland 1
Might and Magic 6 Pack
Tales of Maj'Eyal x2
Blocks That Matter
Port Royale
Worms 2
Gothic
Sacred 2
Terraria

HOW
---
Just download the game at a link I'll provide here on Saturday.
You'll want to run it as administrator just to be sure it all works well.

When you find a something like this: "post 'GOOBER DOO Sacred 2!' to get Sacred 2"
then post it at the redemption forum here: <link provided on Saturday>
If you're the first to post, you win! (note: you cannot edit your post, so don't post 2 codes in a row)

You can win up to 2 games.

The game will also feature a story element that will give you tips. They will be posted every few hours.

Good luck!

OTHER DISCLAIMERS AND ODD RULES
-----------------
I'm using some code I ripped off the net to make many parts of the game. I'm not really going to give credit for it b/c I didn't keep track of what I was grabbing. So my appologies to those I'll be ripping off. No hard feelings.

This game has the appearance that it connects online, but it does not.

If you cannot get the game to run, be sure to install the Direct X link I linked to under the "Where" section. If it still doesn't work, you're out of luck.

Not everything in this treasure hunt will work correctly on every computer. If something doesn't work, I'd recommend using another computer.

Game codes are donated by generous people. But it's possible that a gift code was total crap. You do not get another code if your code is useless. You get to win 2 codes, but I cannot guarantee that they work.

A player can be deemed 'cheating' at the sole discretion of Tallima. A cheater will be automatically disqualified. Please just play the game and don't cheat. No memory editors, etc.

Thanksgiving
------------
This treasure hunt is brought to you by these generous donors:
Coelocanth
Madth3
Bookwyrm627
Inkpanther
JMich
Dampsquib
Pateralf
Trid
Bler144
Trentonlf
Blotunga
V3
ELTERPRISE

If I missed anyone, please send me a message. If your name isn't there, then neither is your game. I got a lot of chats in a short amount of time and GOG just doesn't have it organized well enough yet. :)

This thread is for 1) Asking questions before, during and after the game, and 2) if you want to share what you're learning as you go to help others out, you may.
Post edited June 30, 2015 by Tallima
Colour me intrigued.
Interesting, Tallima. I'll be prepared. GL you all! >:D

BUMP!

REDVWIN
Tallima:
Can one participate but win for someone else?
For example, can one post "GOOBER DOO Sacred 2! for bler144" (since he has it on his public wishlist).

Thank you Coelocanth, Madth3, Bookwyrm627, Inkpanther, JMich, Dampsquib, Pateralf, Trid, Bler144, Trentonlf, Blotunga, V3, ELTERPRISE!

And of course, thank you Tallima!
Post edited June 22, 2015 by mrkgnao
Tallima:
mrkgnao: Can one participate but win for someone else?
For example, can one post "GOOBER DOO Sacred 2! for bler144" (since he has it on his public wishlist).

Thank you Coelocanth, Madth3, Bookwyrm627, Inkpanther, JMich, Dampsquib, Pateralf, Trid, Bler144, Trentonlf, Blotunga, V3, ELTERPRISE!

I would prefer that you use the game for yourself. But if you'd like to pass hints along to a friend so that they can claim their own game, that is okay.
mrkgnao: Can one participate but win for someone else?

Tallima: I would prefer that you use the game for yourself. But if you'd like to pass hints along to a friend so that they can claim their own game, that is okay.
No problem.
Looking forward to Saturday (although I probably won't wake up at 5am for it).
I may actually play for myself (there is one game I am interested in) or, as you've suggested, lend a helping hand if I can (but not to a friend, as my friends page has been yielding nothing but bears since May 22).
Post edited June 22, 2015 by mrkgnao
Hopefully I can participate this time, looks like it will be a lot of fun :)

Thank Tallima for hosting! I also hope all is going well with your dad.
Tallima: I .
Post edited June 22, 2015 by trentonlf
Wow! Sounds exciting!

Will this be available to Mac users as well?
Thank you for hosting this! And for those participating, good luck!
chadjenofsky: Wow! Sounds exciting!

Will this be available to Mac users as well?
Unfortunately, I don't have the resources to bring it to any other platform. So ti will be Windows only.

It will probably work best on Windows XP, but I tweaked my code to get it working 100% on my Windows 7 machine. But that doesn't mean it will be perfect for all.
Tallima: I would prefer that you use the game for yourself. But if you'd like to pass hints along to a friend so that they can claim their own game, that is okay.
mrkgnao: No problem.
Looking forward to Saturday (although I probably won't wake up at 5am for it).
I may actually play for myself (there is one game I am interested in) or, as you've suggested, lend a helping hand if I can (but not to a friend, as my friends page has been yielding nothing but bears since May 22).
I have no idea how this will go. I have a feeling that a few codes will go pretty quick, but then it may be some time before more codes are snatched up. But GOG users tend to be very intelligent, so I also fear that all the codes will be gone in 10 minutes. I just have no idea. Hopefully, when you wake up, there will be still plenty to go and get.
trentonlf: Hopefully I can participate this time, looks like it will be a lot of fun :)

Thank Tallima for hosting! I also hope all is going well with your dad.
Tallima: I .
trentonlf:
All seems well on the homefront. So that's good.

I wouldn't call the game 'fun' per se. It will definitely have a fun aspect to it. But I suspect it'll be hard enough that many folks will be swearing and destroying things. We shall see! :)
Post edited June 22, 2015 by Tallima
I added a line in the additional rules to talk about cheating. If anyone is caught cheating, they're disqualified. I ask that everyone not use memory editors or whatnot to cheat your way through the game.

Since our community is built out of awesome people, I'm sure it won't be a problem. But if anyone in a dark corner does cheat, I'll add their name to the "known scammers list".

To be clear on what is and is not cheating:

What Is Cheating
Cheating would be doing anything besides running the program. That would involve reverse engineering or hot-editing your memory locations to force the program places.

What Is Not Cheating
If you find a vulnerability in the program, it may or may not be intentional. But so long as it's in the program, you can use it. So if you find a glitch that gives you infinite money, feel free to use that glitch (that happened in a previous treasure hunt -- a chest in the game did not empty when used).

You may use the "print screen" function to help you find a code. For instance, a code could potentially be in a slightly different color than the background color, making it hard to see. But you know it's there. So you take a screenshot with print screen and then paste into GIMP and alter the contrast so that the code is revealed. All of that would be acceptable.

You may chat privately or publicly or even play with a friend live to help you get through the puzzles.

If anyone has questions on these issues, please ask.

Thanks guys! I'm pretty excited to show you what I've built and see who can find the games the fastest!
Want to get some practice for the big game? Try practicing some of the old classic 80s arcade games.
Tallima: Want to get some practice for the big game? Try practicing some of the old classic 80s arcade games.
Such as?
Sounds Mysterious = great
play a game to get games - is using a Competition Pro also considered cheating? ;-)
Thanks a lot to Tallima and all donators, hope ill be at home at saturday.
Tallima: Want to get some practice for the big game? Try practicing some of the old classic 80s arcade games.
mrkgnao: Such as?
Some of the top-selling games of 1979 ( [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:1979_video_games]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:1979_video_games[/url] ) will help you practice the skills you need.
mcleodone: Sounds Mysterious = great
play a game to get games - is using a Competition Pro also considered cheating? ;-)
Thanks a lot to Tallima and all donators, hope ill be at home at saturday.
I'm not sure what a "Competition Pro" is. If it's a high quality keyboard, then you're good. If it's a high-quality decompiler, then it's cheating. :)

P.S. I know 1979 isn't in the 80s, I'm just saying that those are some good games. I could probably also say "The top sellers of..." and put any year from 1975 to 1985 and they'd be the same. Fast, twitchy arcade games can help. But there's a whole lot more that goes into this than just that. Mostly, I'm just bumping the thread and whetting appetites. :)
Post edited June 23, 2015 by Tallima