It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

shmerl: No argument here, so lack of Galaxy for Linux would be a blocker, but not one they can't officially address if they want to. Since it's even officially planned, just not prioritized. Yet.
Yes. Unfortunately 'not prioritized' means 'not important for us' and that means 'not going to happen anytime soon'.

It's a funny thing with priorities. Sorry, a bit off-topic but it's about priorities: funding agencies have priority ladders. So different levels of priority they assign to different projects. The first time I applied, as a young scientist, to a funding agency for funding I got the reply that my project was rated 'highest priority'. I rejoiced, until someone working for that agency told me what it means. There are, in this specific federal German agency, six levels of priority a project can get. It can be rated as:

6. priority
5. high priority
4. highest priority
3. national interest
2. highest national interest
1. global interest

Now the limited funding is distributed by priority. First the projects of global interest are funded. Then those of highest national interest. And then, what little is left over, is distributed among the national interest projects. So having your project rated as 'highest priority' means, there is no chance in hell to get it funded. Translated these priority levels mean:

6. your project is sh!t
5. meh, not interesting enough
4. interesting, but we don't have money for it
3. you might get a quarter of what you asked for, eventually
2. you will be funded some time
1. you will be funded immediately

And GOG is saying that Galaxy for Linux isn't even prioritized ... that would be level 7, if they use the same system. I.e. 'not going to happen as long as we have anything else to do'. ;-)
Add me to the growing list of Windows abandonment... I finally got Kubuntu 16 installed with AMD graphics pro drivers running. I already own Witcher 3 (plus the first and second game) on Steam. I also own the first and second game here on GoG. Unless CDPR works on porting Witcher 3 into Linux, I have have no plans to buy any more of their games.

It's a shame, really, because they were the only developer left that I buy at full price. I bought both Witcher 2 & 3 for $50. Hell, I would rebuy the original game if they made it for Linux.
Post edited March 15, 2018 by toutwid1102
toutwid1102: Add me to the growing list of Windows abandonment... I finally got Kubuntu 16 installed with AMD graphics pro drivers running
First of all, welcome to Linux :)

Regarding your graphics, I see you mentioned AMD pro driver. Even AMD themselves don't recommend using their pro driver, including for gaming. Use open source Mesa, it already has better performance and it's officially supported by AMD too. Feel free to post in the Linux FAQ thread, if you need any assistance with that.

toutwid1102: Unless CDPR works on porting Witcher 3 into Linux, I have have no plans to buy any more of their games.

It's a shame, really, because they were the only developer left that I buy at full price. I bought both Witcher 2 & 3 for $50. Hell, I would rebuy the original game if they made it for Linux.
While I surely hope CDPR will one day fix this situation and will start releasing their games for Linux again, there is no guarantee they will any time soon. So since you already have the Witcher 3, take a look at this thread, about running it in Wine on Linux.
Post edited March 15, 2018 by shmerl
Lifthrasil: There are, in this specific federal German agency, six levels of priority a project can get. It can be rated as:

6. priority
5. high priority
4. highest priority
3. national interest
1. global interest
Interesting concept of "highest priority". I wonder what it would be like to work there: "Sure thing, boss! The work you assigned me is my highest priority right now!"

BTW, what is that you said about Cyberpunk 2077 and "continuous income"? Is CDPR making me not care for the game already?
Lifthrasil: There are, in this specific federal German agency, six levels of priority a project can get. It can be rated as:

6. priority
5. high priority
4. highest priority
3. national interest
1. global interest
Yeah, bureaucracy likes using euphemisms :)
Gede: BTW, what is that you said about Cyberpunk 2077 and "continuous income"? Is CDPR making me not care for the game already?
To quote Adam Kiciński in an interview: “Multiplayer is strategically important, playing online is strategically important, because we want to have a commercial leg for service type games, games which generate stable income, period to period, which are built. Of course, every game ends after a number of years, some service type games function even after 10 years, but outside our main source of income, meaning big names, it’s building a stable source of income. And in the future, we can imagine a lot of connections between big games and service type games – We have to acknowledge it, it is obvious.”

Here's a bit more on it: https://gamerant.com/cyberpunk-2077-online-multiplayer-success/

Now keep in mind that the original interview was in Polish, as far as I know, so things may have been exaggerated in translation. In any case, CDPR rowed back later via Twitter, assuring that it will be a single player game with no catch. What that means isn't clear yet. Maybe Adam was accidentally too honest and they had to do damage control later? Maybe it was a test on how far they can go without killing interest in CP2077? Maybe it was a personal opinion by one marketing-guy that CP2077 should reap in more profits at any cost but the dev department disagrees?

There were several threads on that topic but in essence we will just have to wait and see. In any case it is probably a good idea not to pre-order CP2077 when the pre-order period starts, but to wait for the actual release and some independent reviews.
Lifthrasil: There were several threads on that topic but in essence we will just have to wait and see. In any case it is probably a good idea not to pre-order CP2077 when the pre-order period starts, but to wait for the actual release and some independent reviews.
It's a good idea not to pre-order anything. It's not crowdfunding that they'd need money in advance.
Post edited March 15, 2018 by shmerl
shmerl: It's a good idea not to pre-order anything.
Yes. Yes it is. Unless you are absolutely sure that you will be happy with the result and it will be cheaper than buying it at your desired price point.
For us, niche people, that is a slim possibility.
After this long I have no hope left of CD Projekt doing Linux versions of their games before Linux market share is above ten percent or maybe even twenty. Their next game will probably be made for DirectX12 just to ensure it can only be played on Windows 10. I know of The Witcher 2. So they tried porting and were not convinced of the financial gain from that.
toutwid1102: Add me to the growing list of Windows abandonment... I finally got Kubuntu 16 installed with AMD graphics pro drivers running
shmerl: First of all, welcome to Linux :)

Regarding your graphics, I see you mentioned AMD pro driver. Even AMD themselves don't recommend using their pro driver, including for gaming. Use open source Mesa, it already has better performance and it's officially supported by AMD too. Feel free to post in the Linux FAQ thread, if you need any assistance with that.

toutwid1102: Unless CDPR works on porting Witcher 3 into Linux, I have have no plans to buy any more of their games.

shmerl: While I surely hope CDPR will one day fix this situation and will start releasing their games for Linux again, there is no guarantee they will any time soon. So since you already have the Witcher 3, take a look at this thread, about running it in Wine on Linux.
Thanks for the welcome, I've been using various versions since Mandrake days but never stuck with it, because of AAA gaming.

That's a no-go with not using AMD-Pro drivers. I noticed a definite increase in frame rates once I installed the 17.50 drivers from AMD.

Since I am committed to running a Linux only system in the near future, I won't buy any more games that don't support Linux. Still debating on wiping my Windows 10 drive but holding off as a backup. Or if I really want to play one of the games on that drive that don't have Linux support. Linux is the default boot option and I haven't run Windows in a couple weeks now.
toutwid1102: That's a no-go with not using AMD-Pro drivers. I noticed a definite increase in frame rates once I installed the 17.50 drivers from AMD.
You are going to lose out on performance in many games by using pro. The vast majority of them perform better with Mesa. But you need to use latest Mesa obviously. What version were you using for comparison and what is your GPU?
Post edited March 19, 2018 by shmerl
shmerl: First of all, welcome to Linux :)

While I surely hope CDPR will one day fix this situation and will start releasing their games for Linux again, there is no guarantee they will any time soon. So since you already have the Witcher 3, take a look at this thread, about running it in Wine on Linux.
toutwid1102: That's a no-go with not using AMD-Pro drivers. I noticed a definite increase in frame rates once I installed the 17.50 drivers from AMD.

Since I am committed to running a Linux only system in the near future, I won't buy any more games that don't support Linux. Still debating on wiping my Windows 10 drive but holding off as a backup. Or if I really want to play one of the games on that drive that don't have Linux support. Linux is the default boot option and I haven't run Windows in a couple weeks now.
Just for the record take a look at this benchmark from December 2017. It pretty much shows the power of the open source drivers for AMD.

GPUs that end with 17.50 are the ones that use the AMDGPU Pro aka proprietary driver.
Post edited March 19, 2018 by Kayx291
Themken: After this long I have no hope left of CD Projekt doing Linux versions of their games before Linux market share is above ten percent or maybe even twenty. Their next game will probably be made for DirectX12 just to ensure it can only be played on Windows 10. I know of The Witcher 2. So they tried porting and were not convinced of the financial gain from that.
I know it's been a while since posted anything, but I want to point out that game studios don't make decisions like that just to spite a fan-base. If they do opt to use Direct X 12 there's probably a good reason for it.
Magmarock:
There are alternatives like Vulkan, even if you do not do a Linux version. I understand a Linux version must look feasible on paper in some way, like if you expect a loss of five thousand, you must deem the goodwill value of that equal to or greater than that.
Post edited July 07, 2018 by Themken
Magmarock:
Themken: There are alternatives like Vulkan, even if you do not do a Linux version. I understand a Linux version must look feasible on paper in some way, like if you expect a loss of five thousand, you must deem the goodwill value of that equal or greater than that.
Yes but only the developed know whether or not Vulkan should be used. You might prefer Vulkan because it’s not exclusive but there might be other reasons to use it. Maybe it doesn’t play nice with the engine or doesn’t get the framerates they want. The games must look it's best and play it's best on lauch to optain the heighest chance of success.
Post edited July 07, 2018 by Magmarock