It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

shmerl: Several people in the wishlist comments proposed CDPR to approach Feral for TW3 port. One thing I noticed is that none of the Feral ported games were ever released DRM-free. Do they have some problem with that and may be that's what's preventing them from partnering up with CDPR?
I think the problem is CDPR refusing to make a TW3 port. Also as far as I know, the only games that would be eligible for a GOG release are the LEGO series, since Feral worked on their Mac ports, apart from those nothing else is available on GOG, be it Windows/Mac or Linux
Ganni1987: as far as I know, the only games that would be eligible for a GOG release are the LEGO series, since Feral worked on their Mac ports, apart from those nothing else is available on GOG, be it Windows/Mac or Linux
Well, that's exactly my point. None of the Feral ports are found on GOG, even for games that as you say have Windows versions here (Lego games?). Which is not a good sign, and can indicate that Feral have something against DRM-free releases.

Ganni1987: I think the problem is CDPR refusing to make a TW3 port.
Why would they refuse with porters like Feral who use their own money for the port?
Ganni1987: the only games that would be eligible for a GOG release are the LEGO series, since Feral worked on their Mac ports
Do you know any exact examples of such games?
shmerl: Did you read the article I linked? More people are using it (developers that is). I.e. Linux gaming market is growing. There is no question about it being profitable. So you don't need to "sort this", it already happened. But it's surely different from Windows market since it's smaller.
I took a quick glance at it. It's on s a Linux website so take it with a grain of salt and second, developers talk BS all the time. What they say they're going to do and what they actually do are two different things. Plenty of game developers also said that they were working on games for the Wii U, look how well that went.

shmerl: Somehow I wish some people would stop being exclusivity snobs, who want things only for their platform. Increase the reach, don't decrease it like you propose.
Lol I don't think you understand. I have no issue with games on other platforms at all. I don't care that gog or CDRP support Mac or the console systems. It's Linux specifically that I don't like. The platform has no deference against deprecation and the less said about the community the better.
Magmarock: t and second, developers talk BS all the time. What they say they're going to do and what they actually do are two different things.
You can trust CDPR themselves then, who listed TW2 release for Linux as successful to their own shareholders. So profits aren't the reason they didn't do TW3 yet, especially since TW2 release Linux gaming market only grew in size.
Post edited January 30, 2018 by shmerl
Magmarock: Of course you would. If Linux was a money maker more people would use it. I myself wanted nothing more then to escape the BS of Windows but the BS of Linux is even worse, Until it's sorted Linux will never be a viable alternative from windows
adamhm: I find Linux Mint to be far less hassle in general than Windows. Sure there are some irritations here & there, but nothing's perfect and on the whole I find it vastly more pleasant to use than Windows.

As I recall the problems you had were largely a case of 'PICNIC', caused by you expecting/wanting it to work like WinXP/Win7 and being somewhat unwilling to learn & adapt to its differences.
That's actually a fair point you made here. I'm not sure what you mean by PICNIC but I do think if a Linux distro worked more like Windows IE: Go to website, download a thing, install the thing, voila. I think that would be an improvement.

There's one major floor with all Linux based distros however that not only make it bad for games, they make it the worst possible platform for games. It's because of the way it uses dependencies. Thanks to dll files Windows has little to no problems running deprecated software. Linux on the other hand has nothing to counter this. If you want to see an example of this type of nonsense; then try to get Trine 2 gog to work on Linux Mint. All 17 versions worked fine but with 18 you have to go through more steps. By the time we get to 19 or 20, I expect Trine 2 to not work at all.
Magmarock: t and second, developers talk BS all the time. What they say they're going to do and what they actually do are two different things.
shmerl: You can trust CDPR themselves then, who listed TW2 release for Linux as successful to their own shareholders. So profits aren't the reason they didn't do TW3 yet, especially since TW2 release Linux gaming market only grew in size.
according to the Steam hardware survey Linux can't even reach a full percentage. I wouldn't really call that growth.
Post edited January 30, 2018 by Magmarock
Magmarock: Lol I don't think you understand. I have no issue with games on other platforms at all. I don't care that gog or CDRP support Mac or the console systems. It's Linux specifically that I don't like.
You better decide whether you have a problem with othrer systems or not. You can't sit on two chairs at once.

Magmarock: according to the Steam hardware survey ...
Steam hardware survey is irrelevant for sales potential estimation. It's just completely useless. So use data which actually lists percentages of sales per OS for given titles.
shmerl: You better decide whether you have a problem with othrer systems or not. You can't sit on two chairs at once.
What lol I think Linux in it's current state would be detrimental to the gaming industry if developers started making games for it. Software is always deprecating on it because of poor dependency management.

shmerl: Steam hardware survey is irrelevant for sales potential estimation. It's just completely useless. So use data which actually lists percentages of sales per OS for given titles.
Lol what. So something that tells you how many people are using a thing is irrelevant when it comes to making products for said thing. Okay, cools.
Post edited January 30, 2018 by Magmarock
Magmarock: What lol I think Linux in it's current state would be detrimental to the gaming industry if developers started making games for it. Software is always deprecating on it because of poor dependency management.
They are already making games for it (in growing numbers), so there is no point in hypothetical talk.

Magmarock: something that tells you how many people are using a thing is irrelevant
Professionals don't estimate sales potential based on a survey without published methodology and review, which is also admitted to be quite non comprehensive by Valve themselves. If you want to work with statistics, you need to know how to work with it first.

Also, you don't compare apples and oranges. Steam never published stats for sales, which is what developers should analyze when they estimate their own prospects.
shmerl: They are already making games for it (in growing numbers), so there is no point in hypothetical talk.
And what's to prevent these games from deprecating and remain working in the future?

shmerl: Professionals don't estimate sales potential based on a survey without published methodology and review, which is also admitted to be quite non comprehensive by Valve themselves. If you want to work with statistics, you need to know how to work with it first.
I just think the states are reflective of the impact Linux has on the gaming no; desktop world. In terms of both usage and development
Magmarock: And what's to prevent these games from deprecating and remain working in the future?
Same question can be asked about Windows or any OS for that matter. Linux generally deals with backwards compatibility better than both Windows and macOS.

Magmarock: I just think the states are reflective of the impact Linux has on the gaming
That's exactly my point - they aren't reflective of it at all.
shmerl: Same question can be asked about Windows or any OS for that matter. Linux generally deals with backwards compatibility better than both Windows and macOS.
You're kidding right? This is some kind of a joke. You want to argue that Linux is more secure then Windows be my guest but to suggest that Linux distros have better backwards compatibly then Windows is a level of delusion matched only by flat earthers. I mean I don't think even the most fanatical Xbox fans would suggest that there is no PC that will ever match the power of console. Trine 2 was released in 2013 and is already showing compatibly problems with all Ubuntu based systems. Furthermore the famed ps1 emulator ePSXe is almost impossible to get working today.

This right here is reason why Linux based distros will never take off is because of disingenuous statements like this. If you; and by and large the community as a whole; are not willing to acknowledge the serious flaws the the current system then Windows will remain the only viable option forever.

shmerl: That's exactly my point - they aren't reflective of it at all.
you can ignore reality but you cannot ignore the consequences
shmerl: Same question can be asked about Windows or any OS for that matter. Linux generally deals with backwards compatibility better than both Windows and macOS.
Magmarock: You're kidding right?
Not at all. In fact, Linux has quite a strict approach not to break userspace unless strictly necessary. Neither Windows nor macOS strive to do that. In fact macOS is planning to drop 32-bit support soon. And Windows dropped support for 16-bit for instance.

On Linux you can run 16-bit code, which for example allows using old Windows programs in Wine. Good luck doing that on Windows.

See https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/4/14/207

So before talking about jokes, do your research first, especially if you are a GOG user. In fact, GOG's specialty is making older Windows programs run well on recent Windows. Let that settle in for a bit. I.e. they don't run well, without GOG doing something.
Magmarock: You're kidding right?
shmerl: Not at all. In fact, Linux has quite a strict approach not to break userspace unless strictly necessary. Neither Windows nor macOS strive to do that. In fact macOS is planning to drop 32-bit support soon. And Windows dropped support for 16-bit for instance.

On Linux you can run 16-bit code, which for example allows using old Windows programs in Wine. Good luck doing that on Windows.

See https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/4/14/207
I don't use Macs. Microsoft dropped support for 16bit because it wasn't needed and we have dosbox. A newer version of Windows S called polaris is planning to drop 32Bit but they'll add support for 32Bit apps another way. We'll have to wait and see how good it is though. As I said though Trine 2 gog no longer works, remastersys was deprecated and Wine 2.7 was also deprecated [url=https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-wine/+archive/ubuntu/ppa]https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-wine/+archive/ubuntu/ppa[/url] this used to the be best way to install Wine now look at it. I suppose can can still use Crossover. Oh but wait that costs money and Linux users hate spending money almost as much as they hate making good software.
Magmarock: you can ignore reality but you cannot ignore the consequences
By pointing to that useless survey you are ignoring reality, but it just shows that you don't care to know the real situation.
Magmarock: I don't use Macs. Microsoft dropped support for 16bit because it wasn't needed and we have dosbox. A newer version of Windows S called polaris is planning to drop 32Bit but they'll add support for 32Bit apps another way. We'll have to wait and see how good it is though. As I said though Trine 2 gog no longer works, remastersys was deprecated and Wine 2.7 was also deprecated [url=https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-wine/+archive/ubuntu/ppa]https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-wine/+archive/ubuntu/ppa[/url] this used to the be best way to install Wine now look at it. I suppose can can still use Crossover. Oh but wait that costs money and Linux users hate spending money almost as much as they hate making good software.
You just spent time above saying how Windows is much better at backwards compatibility, and now you are saying how they dropped and are going to drop a whole class of applications. Again sitting on two chairs much?

The bottom line is, Windows is nowhere better at this. And it's in fact worse in many ways, especially when hardware is concerned (primarily because Windows drivers tend to be closed source).