It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

So. Better than waiting for some shitty witcher game. The first two sucked anyway. Always stuck in some damned swamp for half the game. Screw that. Let's face it. The witcher series is way over rated as far as actual fun is concerned. And the stories suck.
flatiron: And the stories suck.
Stories are good. But if you don't like them, you shouldn't have any issue with them not releasing it for Linux.
Exactly. They suck. So now no one cares about the stupid cd project red.
SenileAnimal: My reasoning is that Vulkan has not been out quite long enough for a more widespread adoption, especially as dev cycles take years, as I'm sure you know. Whereas in a few years, there will be no excuse for game devs.
There will always be excuses. Right now unity should make it very easy to make multiplatform releases, yet so many unity games are released for windows only. With or without excuses, the excuses are bullcrap.
That said, I am, I agree, and applaud your "speaking with your wallet."
It's really nice to stand behind one's principles when making purchasing decisions. But let's not pretend speaking/voting with one's wallet really matters unless a majority of the target audience make that vote. Just like in democracy, the minority that keeps voting for their 2% party will forever be subject to the tyranny of the majority :(

The linux users who choose not to purchase a game for its lack of native platform support are but a few among the 7.6 billion people on planet earth who chose not to purchase said game for whatever reason. The devs & publishers won't ever know or care, unless people repeatedly make a loud vocal shitstorm about it (and even then most of them just don't care).
SenileAnimal: My reasoning is that Vulkan has not been out quite long enough for a more widespread adoption, especially as dev cycles take years, as I'm sure you know. Whereas in a few years, there will be no excuse for game devs.
clarry: There will always be excuses. Right now unity should make it very easy to make multiplatform releases, yet so many unity games are released for windows only. With or without excuses, the excuses are bullcrap.

That said, I am, I agree, and applaud your "speaking with your wallet."
clarry: It's really nice to stand behind one's principles when making purchasing decisions. But let's not pretend speaking/voting with one's wallet really matters unless a majority of the target audience make that vote. Just like in democracy, the minority that keeps voting for their 2% party will forever be subject to the tyranny of the majority :(

The linux users who choose not to purchase a game for its lack of native platform support are but a few among the 7.6 billion people on planet earth who chose not to purchase said game for whatever reason. The devs & publishers won't ever know or care, unless people repeatedly make a loud vocal shitstorm about it (and even then most of them just don't care).
Perhaps there will always be BS excuses, but again, after Vulkan has been out awhile longer, I'm done; I'm of the opinion that at that time there are no more valid excuses and as such will not support Windows only games.

This isn't politics, it's business. Regardless of minority (and to what extent, who knows?), Linux sales lost are sales lost, and when it's dead simple to port to Linux, devs are stupid to leave money on the table. They've largely woken up to that fact re: PC gaming, and I believe they will realize it re: Linux in time as well. If not, there's plenty to play.

I will never be among the sheep, without control of my computer, being fed adverts while my data is mined, on a locked down, unstable, cobbled together, bloated system built by the soulless lying incompetents and malware peddlers that make up M$. It's a matter of principle.

Change needs to start somewhere. If that's a vocal minority complaining about unsupported games and refusing to buy them, I'm quite content to be among that minority. And I do think it's important and fully intend to be vocal directly to developers as well, praising their inclusion of Linux as a deciding factor in buying, or in not buying in the case of them not having Linux support.
Post edited December 23, 2017 by SenileAnimal
I'm afraid Vulkan just isn't a major factor, if there's anything to be learned from the recent past.

Mid to late 90s as well as early 2000s, rendering was commonly done using software rendering (which is OS independent) or increasingly with OpenGL (though Glide was a thing), which at the time was clearly better (for *rendering*) than Direct 3D, and it allowed devs to easily take advantage of advanced features in new GPUs in the form of extensions. Many big industry names (including Carmack) advocated for OpenGL. Most big engines had OpenGL support.

And, yet, companies kept churning out windows exclusive releases just like today. Yeah there were the loki ports and a few ports straight from the devs, but that's a tiny fraction of games released back then.

Part of the problem is that there's more to a game than the rendering backend, but that's the small part. Portable games have been a thing since forever, the primary issue is just that companies don't give a shit. It turns out the markets are quite irrational, driven by irrational people (both at the producing & consuming side). They're more than happy to leave money on the table.
Note that wishlist URL was changed to work around some snags with long titles (thanks @JudasIscariot for fixing it!)

https://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/witcher_3_linux_version_1
Post edited January 25, 2018 by shmerl
The fact that they released Wither 2 and not 3 probably means that there isn't much money to be made from Linux. In fact many of gog games don't have Linux versions available even though Steam does. Like the Metro games for example.
Magmarock: The fact that they released Wither 2 and not 3 probably means that there isn't much money to be made from Linux
There is no reason to assume that. Linux market makes money for other gaming studios, so CDPR could continue as well, especially since Linux gaming is growing. I blame it more on their mismanagement of TW3 release.
Post edited January 29, 2018 by shmerl
Magmarock: The fact that they released Wither 2 and not 3 probably means that there isn't much money to be made from Linux
shmerl: There is no reason to assume that. Linux market makes money for other gaming studios, so CDPR could continue as well, especially since Linux gaming is growing. I blame it more on their mismanagement of TW3 release.
Of course you would. If Linux was a money maker more people would use it. I myself wanted nothing more then to escape the BS of Windows but the BS of Linux is even worse, Until it's sorted Linux will never be a viable alternative from windows

flatiron: Just play other games. Yooka Laylee and Dreamfall are both on linux and both look more interesting than sloshing around in a swamp while smacking monsters about.

If they don't want us to to play Witcher 3, then play it we should not.
Sometimes I wish gog never supported Linux. Once you open yourself to Linux, the fanboys will come and never leave you alone. It no mans sky was the only game available on Linux it would no doubt be your most favorite game and you'd be tell the world how underrated it is.
Post edited January 29, 2018 by Magmarock
[Removed double post]
Post edited January 29, 2018 by Magmarock
Magmarock: Of course you would. If Linux was a money maker more people would use it. I myself wanted nothing more then to escape the BS of Windows but the BS of Linux is even worse, Until it's sorted Linux will never be a viable alternative from windows
I find Linux Mint to be far less hassle in general than Windows. Sure there are some irritations here & there, but nothing's perfect and on the whole I find it vastly more pleasant to use than Windows.

As I recall the problems you had were largely a case of 'PICNIC', caused by you expecting/wanting it to work like WinXP/Win7 and being somewhat unwilling to learn & adapt to its differences.
Magmarock: Of course you would. If Linux was a money maker more people would use it. I myself wanted nothing more then to escape the BS of Windows but the BS of Linux is even worse, Until it's sorted Linux will never be a viable alternative from windows
adamhm: I find Linux Mint to be far less hassle in general than Windows. Sure there are some irritations here & there, but nothing's perfect and on the whole I find it vastly more pleasant to use than Windows.

As I recall the problems you had were largely a case of 'PICNIC', caused by you expecting/wanting it to work like WinXP/Win7 and being somewhat unwilling to learn & adapt to its differences.
As someone who has used both Linux and Windows, I found Linux to be much more fun to use and productive too.
Windows, especially with current WIn10 is irritating and infuriating.
The major thing that still makes me use WIndows as my primary OS is that Gaming is much easier here with most of the games not natively supported on Linux.

EDIT: and current iteration of Windows is UGLY too.
Post edited January 29, 2018 by bhrigu
Magmarock: Of course you would. If Linux was a money maker more people would use it.
Did you read the article I linked? More people are using it (developers that is). I.e. Linux gaming market is growing. There is no question about it being profitable. So you don't need to "sort this", it already happened. But it's surely different from Windows market since it's smaller.

Magmarock: Sometimes I wish gog never supported Linux.
Somehow I wish some people would stop being exclusivity snobs, who want things only for their platform. Increase the reach, don't decrease it like you propose.
Post edited January 29, 2018 by shmerl
Several people in the wishlist comments proposed CDPR to approach Feral for TW3 port. One thing I noticed is that none of the Feral ported games were ever released DRM-free. Do they have some problem with that and may be that's what's preventing them from partnering up with CDPR?