It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

DX11 support in Wine is moving forward: https://www.winehq.org/announce/1.7.50
Apparently Umbra3D middleware used in Witcher 3 already supports Linux, so it can't be a blocker for TW3 developers.

I wonder if they tied TW3 release with official launch of Steam Machines, or they are simply taking their sweet time with porting REDengine to Linux?
Post edited October 15, 2015 by shmerl
Do you think Witcher 3 is coming out on November 10th?
shmerl: Do you think Witcher 3 is coming out on November 10th?
No, a wine version seems more possible.
shmerl: Do you think Witcher 3 is coming out on November 10th?
Gnostic: No, a wine version seems more possible.
Wine doesn't depend on CDPR. And they said they are working on the Linux version, which means it's not Wine.
CDPR might have some deal with Valve that Witcher 3 will be launched with Steam Machines, that's why they refuse to talk about it. At least I'm not sure what other reason can cause it. They were so loud about their Windows release many months (if not years) before it came out, and with Linux - completely the opposite.
Is it Witcher 3 running on Linux? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fs2Yh1PFwM&t=42s
shmerl: Is it Witcher 3 running on Linux? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fs2Yh1PFwM&t=42s
Only if afterwards it's Wolfenstein New Order running on Linux. I'd love for Bethesda to support Linux (still hoping that one day we'll get Fallout 4), but I'm not getting my hopes up based on this.
Nothing happened on November 10th. Do you think the game will come out in 2016, or we'll have to wait as long as between Windows and Linux releases of the Witcher 2?
Someone BuzzardBee from the Steam forum claims there is no Linux version in development:
Folks keep quoting that article but it is incorrect. They do not plan on releasing a Linux version. They do not plan on even working on one. They no longer want to work on anything Witcher related once Blood and Wine is released. They're done with the game and the series for the time being.
It's his own speculation - he has no sources for any of that. While CDPR did explicitly confirm (in several e-mails) that they are working on the Linux version but don't have release dates yet.

Also, he claims there (when pointed out about these e-mails):

Really? And with what team? They have a skeletal team now working on the last patch to be released for Hearts of Stone while also continuing to work on Blood and Wine for next year.

The rest of their team is hard at work on Cyberpunk 2077. So who's working on the Linux version then? The custodial staff?
Obviously he doesn't have any insider information about what teams are doing, so it's all a speculation on his part. How does he know that no one is working on the Linux version of REDengine in general, a project which can be used both in Cyberpunk 2077 and future Linux release of Witcher 3?

The bottom line - we have no additional info to what they said before. I.e. they are working on it. What it means in practice - no one has a clue (outside of CDPR I guess).
Post edited November 17, 2015 by shmerl
Nothing happened on 20/11/2015...
The devs at CDPR are busy with the next addition to TW3 (and working on Cyberpunk too).
My guess is, the Linux port of TW3 will not come out before some time after the Blood and Wine expansion.
Solei: The devs at CDPR are busy with the next addition to TW3 (and working on Cyberpunk too).
My guess is, the Linux port of TW3 will not come out before some time after the Blood and Wine expansion.
Most probably it's a different group of people who are working on the Linux version anyway, or even possible an external subcontractor altogether, so I doubt they are somehow dependent on when extension packs are coming out.
Post edited November 20, 2015 by shmerl
Latest update from the Q&A Twitch stream (see attached).
Attachments:
shmerl: Latest update from the Q&A Twitch stream (see attached).
It's not happening. I'm absolutely convinced of it at this point. Wish I would have waited before purchasing it. Lesson learned I suppose.