It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

It is Throwback Thursday time, and today we have something special for the fans of isometric action-RPGs.

In Nox, developed by Westwood Studios, you are Jack Mower, an ordinary guy living his ordinary life. But one day, due to a cosmic accident and the actions by the evil Queen of Necromancers, you're being sucked out of this universe by your own TV and transferred to a fantasy parallel universe called Nox. We're not sure, but we think the moral of Nox is "Don't watch too much TV." Who says gaming doesn't spread positive messages?

Jack, though, seems in a bit of a spot. It won't be a surprise if we tell you that the world Jack got into is in danger and he's the one that can save it, right?

Here’s what one of GOG team members has to say about this classic.

Recommended by Kilg0re_Tr0ut from GOG Stream Team

Nox is a truly underrated game from Westwood Studios. Often written off as a "Diablo-clone", this is really a unique quest oriented action RPG. You play Jack, a young man who (along with his TV) is accidentally teleported to Nox by the evil Hecubah, and it is your job to right things in Nox and eventually defeat her. The story and gameplay adapts to accommodate one of three different character classes you have to choose from, the Warrior, who can't use magic, but has access to all armor and weapon types (except bows and staves), the Conjurer, who can use bows and crossbows, can use some spells, but specialize in summoning monsters that can fight alongside them, and the Wizard class, who specialize in the vast majority of spells in the game, and can even teleport and become invisible. This adds tremendous replayability as playing the game with each character makes for a completely different experience, basically giving you three games in one. Easy to get into, Nox is highly recommended for fans of the genre."

If you’d like to learn more why Kilg0re recommends to play Nox, jump on his stream tonight (Friday, November 5th at 3 AM UTC) on GOG’s Twitch channel.
Great game, no doubt about it... where are the "new" re-releases, though?
high rated
Nox is pretty good, yeah. The 3 classes have somewhat different playthroughs (some chapters differ completely) and unique mechanics. It is well worth going through all 3 just for that.

Warrior just has 5 or 6 combat abilities on cooldowns, otherwise he's just the regular "click them till they die" straightforward character.

Conjurer can summon any creature he has in his bestiary (including huge ones like Golems).

And the Mage has dozens of spells for you to play with and the ability to make custom traps that fire the spells you put into them when enemies trigger them. Great stuff.

It plays like Diablo but it's not. Enemies do not respawn and the game is set up in pretty straightforward levels with clear progression. The only lacking part IMO is the levelling, which just automatically increases your stats depending on the class you're playing with and that's it. You have absolutely no agenda with the level-ups.
Post edited November 04, 2021 by idbeholdME
Love Nox. The setting is great fun and the visceral ARPG gameplay is great. It plays closer to a third person shooter than a traditional "RPG".

Loved it.
high rated
"Multiplayer notice:The game's official multiplayer servers have been taken offline and the only multiplayer option available is LAN."

It seems devs back in those days had a foresight that many current day developers lack.

Big thanks to Westwood studio for designing their game in such a way that we can still enjoy multiplayer today. True visionaries right there.
Post edited November 04, 2021 by Magnitus
In a world where everyone is copying homework from Diablo games every exception feels special.
Nox and Revenant are notable, so good I still have them on my hard drive.
Later one have surprisingly cool unarmed combat. If you had dream to become one of those cool fighters from cheap VHS movies - look no further.
Nox was so good I've played all 3 classes from start to finish since it was re-released here.
It never gets too old...
Melee and positioning in Nox is janky and a bit annoying as i remember.
Love NOX, great game with spice of Ultima about it. Wish the version on the store ran a little better though.

The MP was fun...if you avoid wizards.
I hadn't heard of Nox before it was released here on GOG, so no nostalgia for me, and it became one of the best games I've ever played. Actually, the first time I got into it, I played it 3 times in a row using each of the classes.
Didnt buy many pc games as a child, but i chanced on Nox.
Had great fun with it.

I had great trouble though to play with the Conjurer, never got a hang on using the bow.
I still keep Nox installed on my Win7 pc (since I no longer update it and it works w/o a hitch) just in case I get the urge to play again. :)
If it's not Nox I nox nox.

Sorry this game is so nox that I cannot avoid to talk about nox.
Loved that game, went to fire it up, and graphical errors with the mouse won't let me play it again!

EDIT: Lol, fixed it!
Post edited November 05, 2021 by TZODnmr2k5
Kilg0re_Tr0ut is an amazing host
SpecShadow: Nox and Revenant are notable, so good I still have them on my hard drive.
Thanks for the recommendation - Revenant looks gorgeous, gotta try it!