It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

fortune_p_dawg: Ah... the internet...
Yes, the Internet. Playgrounds of douche bags.
KyleKatarn: I realize that this is not a thread intentionally about gog.com or drm-free but why post "This is why people love Steam" here? That seems almost intentional to start a war to me. If a person wants to sing the praises of steam you could do that on the steam forum. Why should some people act upset that the users who like to use gog.com to get their games might not like this thread and voice their opinion about it?
Yes, what are Steam fanboys/girls doing praising Steam on GOG anyway?

How about one of them jump on the Steam forum and start a "This is why people love GOG" and see how long that lasts before being shut down?! XD

More to the point, why doesn't a gogger start a GOG thread "This is why people love GOG"??!! :)

Devspar: 4. And the worst part, Steam feels obligated to install Direct X every damn time I wanted to play the game...
Pheace: It's funny because GOG actually does this too. That's why some really small games are still large installers here.
But GOG doesn't insist on a DirectX update every time you play the game.
Post edited March 01, 2013 by DRM_free_fan
DRM_free_fan: How about one of them jump on the Steam forum and start a "This is why people love GOG" and see how long that lasts before being shut down?! XD
People have tried. It got deleted. That's why I frequent GOG boards and not Steam boards. Are you suggesting GOG boards should get heavy moderation as well?

DRM_free_fan: More to the point, why doesn't a gogger start a GOG thread "This is why people love GOG"??!! :)
They have, about a bazilion times already.
Post edited March 01, 2013 by Fenixp
DRM_free_fan: How about one of them jump on the Steam forum and start a "This is why people love GOG" and see how long that lasts before being shut down?! XD
Fenixp: People have tried. It got deleted. That's why I frequent GOG boards and not Steam boards. Are you suggesting GOG boards should get heavy moderation as well?
See? GOG fans can't rave on Steam forums but Steam fans can rave on GOG forums....Much as I loathe Steam, I wouldn't want to see heavy moderation on GOG forums. "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend... your right to say it" :)
EDIT: Except Spam. That is a given for moderation!

DRM_free_fan: More to the point, why doesn't a gogger start a GOG thread "This is why people love GOG"??!! :)
Fenixp: They have, about a bazilion times already.
With that exact title? I hadn't noticed. My bad.
Post edited March 01, 2013 by DRM_free_fan
DRM_free_fan: See? GOG fans can't rave on Steam forums but Steam fans can rave on GOG forums....Much as I loathe Steam, I wouldn't want to see heavy moderation on GOG forums. "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend... your right to say it" :)
Well precisely, therefore Steam praising topics are perfectly fine, if someone likes Steam.

DRM_free_fan: With that exact title? I hadn't noticed. My bad.
None is active now, I believe that people are even more tired of 'GOG is awesome' topics than of 'Steam is terrible' topics - and trust me, there used to be loads of 'Steam is terrible' topics around.
DRM_free_fan: With that exact title? I hadn't noticed. My bad.
Fenixp: None is active now, I believe that people are even more tired of 'GOG is awesome' topics
NOOOooo. How could they? Talk about biting the hand that feeds you! ;)
Fenixp: None is active now, I believe that people are even more tired of 'GOG is awesome' topics
DRM_free_fan: NOOOooo. How could they? Talk about biting the hand that feeds you! ;)
Déjà vu...
Terpor: Let's say that i would want to re-download my entire GOG library
Why to redownload? You lost your external hard-drive? With a good HD, Steam is surely not needed.

keeveek: 5. If there are some patches, I have to find them somewhere else
Your web browser is your friend. I even always verifye that the GOG patch is the last on the game websites. LOL! thanks (I don't remember who posted it)
Post edited March 01, 2013 by ERISS
Fenixp: People have tried. It got deleted. That's why I frequent GOG boards and not Steam boards. Are you suggesting GOG boards should get heavy moderation as well?
DRM_free_fan: See? GOG fans can't rave on Steam forums but Steam fans can rave on GOG forums....Much as I loathe Steam, I wouldn't want to see heavy moderation on GOG forums. "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend... your right to say it" :)
EDIT: Except Spam. That is a given for moderation!
They also forbid talking about deals from other digital providers unless they are deals for steam keys. They shut down a deals group because they had a few origin deals listed in there and made the owner agree to never post from a competitor again if they let it re-open. GOG lets people freely talk about any deals they find and even trade stuff from other providers.
Fictionvision: They also forbid talking about deals from other digital providers unless they are deals for steam keys. They shut down a deals group because they had a few origin deals listed in there and made the owner agree to never post from a competitor again if they let it re-open. GOG lets people freely talk about any deals they find and even trade stuff from other providers.
If we're remembering the same deals group that was closed, the one I remember had literally set up shop within the community, facilitating/selling Steam/Origin keys for money.
Post edited March 01, 2013 by Pheace
The Steam forums and how they are handled are a completely different beast from the Steamworks DRM solution or the Steam store. I am no defender of what goes on there.
Fictionvision: They also forbid talking about deals from other digital providers unless they are deals for steam keys. They shut down a deals group because they had a few origin deals listed in there and made the owner agree to never post from a competitor again if they let it re-open. GOG lets people freely talk about any deals they find and even trade stuff from other providers.
Pheace: If we're remembering the same deals group that was closed, the one I remember had literally set up shop within the community, facilitating/selling Steam/Origin keys for money.
Hookups is the group I was referring to, specifically this announcement.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/Hookups/announcements/detail/1605800591144794841

This was a long battle to get this group back. The things that are changing is that we can not post anymore Origin Deals Ever! That was the main issue they had with Hookups. Any deal that supports Steam and directs people to use Steam like all the Steam deals from GreenManGaming, GamersGate, and Amazon and other sites like that are ok. But we can't post any competitors like Origin.
ERISS: LOL! thanks (I don't remember who posted it)
You may joke as much as you want, but the real problem starts when

a) version numbers are different for games bought from different shops
b) some patches may be incompatible with the game you bought

and if the patches are irreversible, it means you have to reinstall the whole game, because patch you downloaded wasn't compatible with your version.

Oh, or for example, when patches are not "stacking", and you have to install them in correct order.

You install 1.1 , 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, and oooops! There was 1.21 and 1.21b you forgot to install! Your game is screwed now, reinstall everything! Yeah, I do not miss that.

There are at least few more problems you may encounter when manually patching. btw. I never had such problems with GOG, because their games are usually prepatched. The bigger problems are when essential fan patches are incompatible, but this is something acceptable.
Post edited March 01, 2013 by keeveek
Fictionvision: This was a long battle to get this group back. The things that are changing is that we can not post anymore Origin Deals Ever! That was the main issue they had with Hookups. Any deal that supports Steam and directs people to use Steam like all the Steam deals from GreenManGaming, GamersGate, and Amazon and other sites like that are ok. But we can't post any competitors like Origin.
I'm sure the fact that the admin was telling his officers to mass spam invites with new accounts, or the fact that they don't appear to be selling for paypal anymore (far as I could tell with a quick glance) are just purely coincidental then.
Fenixp: Well precisely, therefore Steam praising topics are perfectly fine, if someone likes Steam.
I think we already have too many of these kind of threads on the GOG forum .