It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

RaggieRags: The feeling I have been getting (and this thread has reinforced it) that the real heart of the issue is not "ethics" in the gaming media. It's about a group of gamers who want to claim ownership to gaming and being a gamer, suddenly being told that they can't, and it pisses them off.

Those articles got such an emotional response because they hit too close to home. There are gamers who have formed their entire identities around being a "gamer", and they have very inclusive ideas of what the word should mean. Any criticism towards that definition of a gamer feels like a personal attack towards one's identity.
walpurgis8199: No I am pissed off because I have been told I am a basement dwelling neckbeard because I'm male and play games. I've gone to university, I obtained an accounting designation and then a further specialization. I got married and had kids, but suddenly because I like games I am a basement dwelling neckbeard. I put up with enough of that during school. I'm not going to be passive this time. I can join the boycotts and I can e-mail sponsors and advertisers.
And I'm pissed off because I'm a bisexual female gamer who now has to listen to how all gamers are supposedly basement dwelling misogynist neckbeared men who hate women. Even though I'm obviously none of those things, even though I've never been anything but accepted and treated nicely by male gamers, even though it was always non-gamer women who insulted me for being a gamer, and even though I now have feminists busy trying to claim they're somehow helping me as a female gamer by bashing my hobby and bashing my identity while trying to erase me out of both completely in the process.

I almost preferred dealing with Jack Thompson attacking us; at least everyone agreed with us that he was crazy.
Post edited October 22, 2014 by Jeysie
low rated
RWarehall: To be fair, it became big because the gaming magazines mass attacked gamers. I still believe the whole Eron/Zoe thing would have fizzled out on its own because all it was was an Internet "Jerry Springer" episode. It's the Gamers are Dead articles and the fact there were 7 of them at once which revived a number of other ethical journalistic concerns.
chincilla: I don't think I have yet seen anyone actually break down what was wrong with the 'gamers are dead' articles. Its certainly clear that not every body read them in the same way, though I confess I didn't read them all. I also wonder how many people never read the articles in the first place and either took others interpretations as gospel, or just the headlines (which are fairly provocative) and reacted to that.
Here's one link that provides commentary and links to all the articles. The main problem is twofold. First, that all these were released in the same day as if a coordinated effort and combine this with the similar content contained in multiple pieces makes most believe there was collusion. The second problem are the insults to gamers in general.
http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/bitwise/2014/09/gamergate_explodes_gaming_journalists_declare_the_gamers_are_over_but_they.html
Jeysie: And I'm pissed off because I'm a bisexual female gamer who now has to listen to how all gamers are supposedly basement dwelling misogynist neckbeared men who hate women. Even though I'm obviously none of those things, even though I've never been anything but accepted and treated nicely by male gamers, even though it was always non-gamer women who insulted me for being a gamer, and even though I now have feminists busy trying to claim they're somehow helping me as a female game by bashing my hobby and bashing my identity while trying to erase me out of both completely in the process.

I almost preferred dealing with Jack Thompson attacking us; at least everyone agreed with us that he was crazy.
I know what you mean. I'm active on Second Life as a creator of all kinds of content there and the SL community has a lot of transgender and gay people and many are gamers. I got at least two dozen such friends on there and while most play games such as League of Legends, none feel that gamers are anything anti-GG claims they are. I wish they would listen more to people and actually talk to gamers instead of sitting on their high thrones and spouting their BS.
Red_Avatar: I wish they would listen more to people and actually talk to gamers instead of sitting on their high thrones and spouting their BS.
That's just crazy talk, yo. If any of the multiple moral crusaders over the decades ever sat down and talked to gamers and other geeks before pontificating about us, they might have to admit they had little to nothing to pontificate about, and we couldn't have that. They might have to get real jobs doing real work, and that just wouldn't do.
low rated
I think that when those people say : Mysoginy, discrimination and harassment comes from white single male, they forget to mention it's mainly 12 year old clueless kids they are talking about.
Regarding the reactionary articles. I'd like some more clarification on certain numbers if any one has them or can point me to them.

I've thought of the ZQ thing as something maybe a few hundred to a thousand people were in ITK about, if not involved in. When the articles & silencing came out the combined thousands of readers of those sites who up to that point were likely ignorant to the whole affair & were just shocked at what the journos were saying initiates GG. People were obliged to dive into the scandal because they just wanted to know why they were being attacked all of a sudden. People choose their sides, political, attention seekers, & social advancers jumped in to co-opt their thing, celebs showed up, trolls jumped in due to the invitation, & it's just been gobbling up more & more people since... But are these assumptions I made on numbers close at all? How many people is it safe to say were involved or aware of the issue in that time frame?
low rated
RaggieRags: It's funny how Gamergaters constantly bring up Sarkeesian and Zoe Quinn, even though neither of them are journalists.

What was this movement about, again?
It can be about more than one thing.

Anita and Zoe are both symptoms of the same disease. And ultimately neither one of them would still be in the mix if they could keep their large mouths shut for more than 5 minutes.
DavidG88: Regarding the reactionary articles. I'd like some more clarification on certain numbers if any one has them or can point me to them.

I've thought of the ZQ thing as something maybe a few hundred to a thousand people were in ITK about, if not involved in. When the articles & silencing came out the combined thousands of readers of those sites who up to that point were likely ignorant to the whole affair & were just shocked at what the journos were saying initiates GG. People were obliged to dive into the scandal because they just wanted to know why they were being attacked all of a sudden. People choose their sides, political, attention seekers, & social advancers jumped in to co-opt their thing, celebs showed up, trolls jumped in due to the invitation, & it's just been gobbling up more & more people since... But are these assumptions I made on numbers close at all? How many people is it safe to say were involved or aware of the issue in that time frame?
I don't know, I didn't think it was a movement or particularly large before those articles decrying gamers came out. And the subsequent gas being dumped on that bonfire.

Chances are the whole thing would have gone away before too long if the journalists hadn't opted to confirm what a lot of people had suspected. Namely that they hate gamers and just see us as a meal ticket when convenient.
Post edited October 22, 2014 by hedwards
Jeysie: And I'm pissed off because I'm a bisexual female gamer who now has to listen to how all gamers are supposedly basement dwelling misogynist neckbeared men who hate women. Even though I'm obviously none of those things, even though I've never been anything but accepted and treated nicely by male gamers, even though it was always non-gamer women who insulted me for being a gamer, and even though I now have feminists busy trying to claim they're somehow helping me as a female gamer by bashing my hobby and bashing my identity while trying to erase me out of both completely in the process.

But Jeysie, they just really need that doxxable proof that you're not an unshaven dude who scorns the sunlight.
RaggieRags: It's funny how Gamergaters constantly bring up Sarkeesian and Zoe Quinn, even though neither of them are journalists.

What was this movement about, again?
hedwards: It can be about more than one thing.

Anita and Zoe are both symptoms of the same disease. And ultimately neither one of them would still be in the mix if they could keep their large mouths shut for more than 5 minutes.
Are they not entitled to speak freely in this debate?
low rated
hedwards: It can be about more than one thing.

chincilla: Are they not entitled to speak freely in this debate?
They're free to speak freely. They're not free from the consequences. In both cases they've been deliberately milking the situation for profit and at that point, they've pretty much given up on any good faith claim that they're not doing anything.

The internet can be an ugly place at times, but deliberately antagonizing people isn't a generally accepted way of avoiding such ugliness.
chincilla: Are they not entitled to speak freely in this debate?
hedwards: They're free to speak freely. They're not free from the consequences. In both cases they've been deliberately milking the situation for profit and at that point, they've pretty much given up on any good faith claim that they're not doing anything.

The internet can be an ugly place at times, but deliberately antagonizing people isn't a generally accepted way of avoiding such ugliness.
And those consequences are what exactly? I'm very much trying not to read anything into what you are saying. I'm not entirely sure how they are antagonizing people, other than by speaking their mind, and in Anita's case by doing what she has done since before this kicked off. It seems to me that some people find them merely speaking up is antagonistic.
low rated
hedwards: They're free to speak freely. They're not free from the consequences. In both cases they've been deliberately milking the situation for profit and at that point, they've pretty much given up on any good faith claim that they're not doing anything.

chincilla: And those consequences are what exactly? I'm very much trying not to read anything into what you are saying. I'm not entirely sure how they are antagonizing people, other than by speaking their mind, and in Anita's case by doing what she has done since before this kicked off. It seems to me that some people find them merely speaking up is antagonistic.
I wouldn't go around making fun of men's mothers because I would expect to be punched in the nose. If I did go about doing it anyways, I wouldn't blame them for being upset with me for being an asshole. And I certainly wouldn't encourage people to give me money because I got my comeuppance.

If you're not sure how they're deliberately antagonizing people, I suggest that you go back and read all the stuff they've been doing. Also, take note of all the money they've been making off the people that feel sorry for them because they're being hated. Even though the hate itself is a direct reaction to their own behavior.

Being professional victims is their job right now, that's how they make money and the criticism I have for the trolls is mostly for playing into their hands. As far as I know, none of the threats they've received were credible and the kddobz threat to Anita was most likely written by a woman and probably by one of her supporters.
chincilla: And those consequences are what exactly? I'm very much trying not to read anything into what you are saying. I'm not entirely sure how they are antagonizing people, other than by speaking their mind, and in Anita's case by doing what she has done since before this kicked off. It seems to me that some people find them merely speaking up is antagonistic.
hedwards: I wouldn't go around making fun of men's mothers because I would expect to be punched in the nose. If I did go about doing it anyways, I wouldn't blame them for being upset with me for being an asshole. And I certainly wouldn't encourage people to give me money because I got my comeuppance.

If you're not sure how they're deliberately antagonizing people, I suggest that you go back and read all the stuff they've been doing. Also, take note of all the money they've been making off the people that feel sorry for them because they're being hated. Even though the hate itself is a direct reaction to their own behavior.

Being professional victims is their job right now, that's how they make money and the criticism I have for the trolls is mostly for playing into their hands. As far as I know, none of the threats they've received were credible and the kddobz threat to Anita was most likely written by a woman and probably by one of her supporters.
Sorry have they been making fun of men's (or anyone elses for the matter) mothers?

I have been reading what they have been saying and I don't intend to reread it, to me nothing either has said or done suggests they are deliberately antagonizing people any more than any other major difference of opinion would do. As for the money they have been making, if people chose to donate to them thats their own affair. I don't believe they are making up the abuse they are suffering, have seen no credible evidence to even suggest they have done so, and if anyone is to blame for them making money from the abuse, then its those making the abusive comments.

I'm sure that you are in no way condoning harassment, but some of the arguments you are using to condemn this pair is very close to some of the arguments apologists for harassment use.
low rated
chincilla: I'm sure that you are in no way condoning harassment, but some of the arguments you are using to condemn this pair is very close to some of the arguments apologists for harassment use.
Then how about this example, let's say someone is in the KKK. They march down the street. Some people throw rocks at them while everyone decries their philosophy. Are you now saying they can claim no one should complain about them because the one's throwing rocks are using the same arguments the other people are using? That is logically stupid.

For the record, I am not equating A + Z to the KKK, just using a universally despised group as an example to expose the big gaping hole in your logic.
htown1980: snip
Brasas: Our ideological disagreements are becoming clear, that's for sure.

Even in opinion pieces, misrepresentation of facts should be avoided. In actual journalism, both favorable and unfavorable facts, and overall neutrality should be maintained, maybe by presenting both sides interpretation, maybe by choosing neutral language. Opinion pieces do not have to be neutral or present both sides, but if they go too far they stop being just opinion pieces and should rather be called the more correct propaganda pieces.

Revealing to me is how you say they shouldn't be forced. I don't see anyone forcing them. They choose to be journalists and should play the game according to its rules. They are free to stop pretending they are doing journalism and openly say they are political activists, where the rules are different. I'd say journalistic rules are the foundation of media independence rather than an obstacle. Obviously our conceptions of liberty are different.

You may prefer a polarized public space, where media takes sides and everyone takes sides, and somehow a winning side comes out eventually. I am certain those sides will form regardless and part of being in a culture of reason is to try, however imperfectly, to do and be better. Media should cover the story, give the facts, leave the reader to choose sides. Believe me, they have a lot of options to influence that choice through language choice and framing. Just look at supposedly impartial media today for several examples.
There are definite differences in our views. Whilst I agree that misrepresentation of facts should definitely be avoided, the issues I have seen #gg'ers raise have not been in relation to factual articles but opinion pieces (gamers are dead articles, for example).

Regarding being forced, I guess I must have misinterpreted your statement "I say the media should present both sides". If by that comment you meant the media should present both sides if they want to, but if they don't want to, they shouldn't be forced to do it, then we are in absolute agreement. I think media should present both sides if they want to.

I guess we have a different view on game journalism. Personally, I like to read opinion pieces and I enjoy gonzo journalism. There is definitely an element of reporting in games journalism, but I don't think that happens a lot in games journalism. I think by its nature, games journalism usually necessitates an opinion be given.

Speaking of straw men, I don't prefer a polarized public space, where media takes sides and everyone takes sides, I prefer a space where people can give an opinion if they wish. :)