It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

RWarehall: I don't think it's fair to say all who support concepts of Gamergate fall under the same banner, while the stopGG hashtag is different from the journalists which is different from the feminists which is different from any others subgroup who doesn't like Gamergate. Thus, each "anti" group is immune to any backlash from any other "anti" supporter. That is just silly. There are two sides. If Gamergate has to suffer for a couple supporters, then how can you with a straight face, say the anti group shouldn't suffer for their own crazy members. The answer is, of course, that no one should suffer for a handful of crazies.
I don't even think you can group journalists, feminists or whoever together in their own groups because again they are perhaps opposed to GG, not supporting for example stopGG. They might be grouped together for convince but just because one journalist says something its not representative of them all, and shouldn't be taken as such. If one GG member says or does something inappropriate, then it shouldn't reflect on the whole, but if lots start doing similar things its not unfair to at the very least ask questions of GG's motivation. At the end of the day a group is not an entity in of itself, its a body of people, so a group is only ever whatever its members make it, how they act defines the group. I'm not actually criticising Gamergate, and I don't think its supporters are all sexists (though its pretty clear to me some are), and I don't think most its members actually support harassment (though some again clearly to me do).

RWarehall: The reason those are the only one's seen is the "anti" people repeat posting the same handful of tweets over and over, not that those tweets or messages are occurring 1000's of times.
I'm not sure how much that is true, if it is then it makes those people incredibly stupid for not realising they are reading the same tweets repeatedly.
RWarehall: And since when do Gamergate people NOT denounce harassers? I see them do this all the time. If you were actually paying attention (or read sources which weren't being spoon fed to you by anti-GG people), you'd find out that when Brianna Wu was harassed, it was mostly Gamergate people reporting the guy on Twitter and asking him to stop. Oh yeah, you didn't know that because the only threats you read came from the anti-GG people where they cut all that out and just showed the threats by themselves.
One person on twitter? How about when 8chan was posting her information? How many gamergaters went to twitter to denounce 8chan? How about Mike Cernovich would you denounce him?

The level of harassment is rather important... Type the following two words, "Go Steelers!" and be "harassed" by some Houston fan. That is if you count, "Steelers suck and you suck" as harassment.
Which it obviously isn't. So why even make that analogy?
For whatever reason, arguments over the Internet in all forms seem to become less civil. Do you have any idea how many times talking politics that I have heard people say something to the effect that someone should shoot him? If I've heard this, so have you.
Are you implying that this is ok? Are you fine with this kind of behavior? If someone used overt racism and death threats in a political dicussion, then obviously that people should be denounced and asked to leave the discussion.
I'm not defending it.
You seem to be excusing it.
So, how about this. Let's ignore the comments from the extreme 10% of each side and talk about the real issues for once.
So let's narrow down who the 10% of extremists are. Who claims to be a voice for gamergate but should not be?
1) You cannot denounce 8chan. 8chan is not responsible for the actions of the users, much like how Twitter is not responsible for the tweets.

2) They did. All doxxing attempts on 8chan are shut down as soon as they are discovered. The problem is that 8chan is huge.

3) They are already showing concern about Mike.
Post edited October 20, 2014 by CthuluIsSpy
CthuluIsSpy: 8chan is not responsible for the actions of the users, much like how Twitter is not responsible for the tweets.
Actually it very much is. That's why it has rules to not break US law. Twitter is also responsible for tweets. That's why they aggressively remove any that violate copyright. It's also why Twitter should be criticized for not moderating harassment and bullying.
They did. All doxxing attempts on 8chan are shut down as soon as they are discovered. The problem is that 8chan is huge.
8chan is not huge. It is much smaller than 4chan and 4chan stops all attempts to harass one of the specific women involved. 8chan only stopped a few days ago. It now says to take it to pastebin.
They are already showing concern about Mike.
Good for them. And you? Is he a bully or no?
He does appear to be getting aggressive. The little spat he had recently was unnecessary.

Also, Copyright is a whole different beast. That's covered by the DMCA.

Section 230 of the CDA is what covers speech on an online service.

8chan even makes that clear -

"The boards on this site are made entirely by the users and do not represent the opinions of the administration of 8chan.co. In the interest of free speech, only content that directly violates the DMCA or other US laws is deleted."

Doxxing, as strange as it sounds, is not actually illegal, provided the information is public.
It's certainly disturbing, but it's not illegal per se.
Post edited October 20, 2014 by CthuluIsSpy
CthuluIsSpy: Doxxing, as strange as it sounds, is not actually illegal, provided the information is public.
It's certainly disturbing, but it's not illegal per se.
Harassment is illegal. Doxxing used for the purpose of harassing someone is running afoul of the law.

But we don't care about the precise legal definitions, do we really? What are you own thoughts about it? What are the thoughts of gamergaters on how 8chan handled the harassment of these women?
Post edited October 20, 2014 by caesarbear
low rated
caesarbear: snip
You still seem very hot and bothered, but are at least offering some logic.

Let's see how far out you are... cos this post of yours is interesting.

Do you believe speech is equivalent to action? I assume you agree murdering someone (note, not killing) is worse than trying to. I further assume you agree trying to murder someone is worse than threatening to. Likewise for other actions. Now the tricky one. You know about Thomas Becket's murder? Was it solicitation? Speech is not black and white... Even the words "You deserve to die." are not criminal a priori. Agree? And even such aggressiveness in volume does not change quality, only quantity.

Do you believe in neutrality? Are action and inaction equivalent? By writing the above, where I neither say I agree or disagree with aggressor or victim, am I taking a side? Is this a situation where my choosing a side has any direct consequences to either? Is any of the parties involved proven logically right by being more or less aggressive? More or less victimised? What force do you think should be applied to make me do something you think I should?

Do you believe in collective responsibility? Individuals belonging to some group are inherently responsible for other members? Does belonging to a group follow only from self identification, or is it determined by some 3rd party? According to what kind of criteria? Subjective ones? Does group membership exclude neutrality as a possibility? How does guilt get apportioned? Does it dilute, so with enough members comes a form of mitigation of consequences? Does it multiply so punishment becomes out of proportion to the crime?

Come on. Show the courage of your convictions and argue the logic openly. ;)
Brasas: You still seem very hot and bothered
Do I? How so?
Do you believe speech is equivalent to action?... [etc, etc]

These really aren't logic inquiries. Most of these are matters of philosophy. In regards to when and how speech is dangerous, this is a matter that legal systems have wrestled for many years. I am not prepared to debate it at length. In the US assault is a crime as well as a tort offense that concerns threatening language. Intent to harm is often the standard but it is not actually what's called a required element. Threatening language made without true intent still counts as assault. I'm not in a position to question the law. Nor should it be in the scope of this thread discussion.
low rated
Gamergate people are all bad. Evil and sexist. Gamergate is a conspiracy of the patriarchy. We are all bad and evil. The poor "wimin" in the industry like Anita.... and Literally WU knows it all. Please crush the evil gamergaters for their evil act of patriarchy. They are ISIS and have weaponized charitys now too. They also like to kill animals in their basements. They plan to take over the world and then kill all "wimin" in the industry. It´s serious business now! Complete world will be nuke bombed by the gamer gaters. Me say so!
NWN_babayaga: Gamergate people are all bad. Evil and sexist. Gamergate is a conspiracy of the patriarchy. We are all bad and evil. The poor "wimin" in the industry like Anita.... and Literally WU knows it all. Please crush the evil gamergaters for their evil act of patriarchy. They are ISIS and have weaponized charitys now too. They also like to kill animals in their basements. They plan to take over the world and then kill all "wimin" in the industry. It´s serious business now! Complete world will be nuke bombed by the gamer gaters. Me say so!
Are you a child?
caesarbear: snip
Brasas: You still seem very hot and bothered, but are at least offering some logic.

Let's see how far out you are... cos this post of yours is interesting.

Do you believe speech is equivalent to action? I assume you agree murdering someone (note, not killing) is worse than trying to. I further assume you agree trying to murder someone is worse than threatening to. Likewise for other actions. Now the tricky one. You know about Thomas Becket's murder? Was it solicitation? Speech is not black and white... Even the words "You deserve to die." are not criminal a priori. Agree? And even such aggressiveness in volume does not change quality, only quantity.

Do you believe in neutrality? Are action and inaction equivalent? By writing the above, where I neither say I agree or disagree with aggressor or victim, am I taking a side? Is this a situation where my choosing a side has any direct consequences to either? Is any of the parties involved proven logically right by being more or less aggressive? More or less victimised? What force do you think should be applied to make me do something you think I should?

Do you believe in collective responsibility? Individuals belonging to some group are inherently responsible for other members? Does belonging to a group follow only from self identification, or is it determined by some 3rd party? According to what kind of criteria? Subjective ones? Does group membership exclude neutrality as a possibility? How does guilt get apportioned? Does it dilute, so with enough members comes a form of mitigation of consequences? Does it multiply so punishment becomes out of proportion to the crime?

Mate, here's a tip if you want to genuinely have a discussion with someone on a forum. Ask fewer than 16 questions... :)
low rated
caesarbear: What's Operation Disrespectful Nod?
The name some people gave to their email campaign where they contacted advertisers. Do you really think everyone got involved with that? I certainly didn't.

caesarbear: I also believe there's problems with gaming journalism. But I don't associate with #gamergate. Why do you? Isn't there a better way?
We've gotten a new ethics policy at The Escapist, uncovered failures of disclosure at Kotaku, gotten several threads from a private email list that hint at collusion uncovered, and Dale North (a major player in the Chloe Sagal scam and coverup from way back) has stepped down from Destructoid. What have you accomplished?

caesarbear: You seem to be doing exactly that. I'm trying to say that I agree that there are serious problems with gaming journalism, but you keep bringing up "evil" and "sides."
You can't honestly say that my side is responsible for creating an atmosphere of harassment against women where it's permissible to make bomb threats and then claim that I'm making this an "us versus them" thing. Let's be realistic.

caesarbear: But you do know her real name don't you.
I do. You know why? Because while looking into the claim that GG supporters flooded 8chan with threads to get rid of Zoe's doxx, I discovered that the person controlling the board deleted the flood and stickied said doxx. I then spent several hours frantically contacting a bunch of people to try and get it shut down.

But it was nice of you to try and subtly call my character into question. I'd say this conversation is just about over since you're not willing to even consider the possibility that there's more than one side to this.
low rated
caesarbear: Are you a child?
His ironic comment was much smarter than any of the one-sided crap you have posted here so far.
caesarbear: I've done no such thing. I'm talking about the creation of an atmosphere with the direction and language #gamergate has used. Much like you are using aggressive language with me. When it's us, it's just a heated argument. But when someone becomes the target of a harassment campaign, when at some point a person's safety becomes more important than whether you agree with them or not, it's a hostile atmosphere that enables harassment and possibly someone stupid and crazy enough to issue bomb threats. Gamergaters hostile atmosphere against these specific women enables these death threats. They did not spring from a vacuum.
Bullshit.

You're doing what you people always do, the only thing you people trully excel at, you're pissing on people from way up there, you're telling thousands of people whose only collective crime is to play and enjoy videogames that they are enabling rape threats and bomb threats and god knows what else. And why ? Because these people refuse to lie down while the fucking loonie hugbox is still working hard at trying to cull their voices, because these people refuse to disband when you tell them to disband.

You asked another poster if he's a child. Let me tell you something about your rationale, if you really think that the world's place is to drop everything on hand and forget everything about everything each time some random goon crawls out from under the woodwork to stirr shit up, else "enabling", then it's you who definitely needs to grow the fuck up.
low rated
caesarbear: I've done no such thing. I'm talking about the creation of an atmosphere with the direction and language #gamergate has used. Much like you are using aggressive language with me. When it's us, it's just a heated argument. But when someone becomes the target of a harassment campaign, when at some point a person's safety becomes more important than whether you agree with them or not, it's a hostile atmosphere that enables harassment and possibly someone stupid and crazy enough to issue bomb threats. Gamergaters hostile atmosphere against these specific women enables these death threats. They did not spring from a vacuum.
Namur: Bullshit.

You're doing what you people always do, the only thing you people trully excel at, you're pissing on people from way up there, you're telling thousands of people whose only collective crime is to play and enjoy videogames that they are enabling rape threats and bomb threats and god knows what else. And why ? Because these people refuse to lie down while the fucking loonie hugbox is still working hard at trying to cull their voices, because these people refuse to disband when you tell them to disband.

You asked another poster if he's a child. Let me tell you something about your rationale, if you really think that the world's place is to drop everything on hand and forget everything about everything each time some random goon crawls out from under the woodwork to stirr shit up, else "enabling", then it's you who definitely needs to grow the fuck up.
You have inspired me to load up Duke Nukem 3D and spend some quality time with the strippers.