It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

muntdefems: [...] Yep! I'm not 100% recovered yet, but almost. :)
Here's to getting there in no time.
Ouch, got 50 update flags...
GOG, why can't you just prepare your installer updates internally and only roll them out together with an actual game change? What is the point of pushing so many internal installer updates to the customers without any game changes?
Post edited March 31, 2018 by eiii
eiii: GOG, why can't you just prepare your installer updates internally and only roll them out together with an actual game change? What is the point of pushing so many internal installer updates to the customers without any game changes?
To be fair... I think they did just that before starting to push out these internal updates. You will notice that the games getting these updates have not been updated in a very long time. In fact, IIRC all of them still had the installers with the old version system.
So I believe they have been doing these background changes on the installers for games getting "real" updates, the problem I suspect is that there are tons of games that are not expected to get any updates in a foreseeable future.
The objective of these changes seems to be to have all installers built in the same way, so that it is possible for them to be updated through a semi-automated system. Considering that you'd want all installers to be compatible with such a system before rolling it out, it makes sense to do these internal updates in such cases. Otherwise, you'd have to wait for every single game to be updated, which would take forever if you consider some games haven't received a single "real" update since they were released here.
And we want this system to be in place as soon as possible, because that will make updating games much easier for GOG and free their staff for other more important tasks, like testing new games/versions and fixing/optimizing games with problems.
That's the way I see it, at least.
eiii: GOG, why can't you just prepare your installer updates internally and only roll them out together with an actual game change? What is the point of pushing so many internal installer updates to the customers without any game changes?
Tannath: To be fair... I think they did just that before starting to push out these internal updates. You will notice that the games getting these updates have not been updated in a very long time. In fact, IIRC all of them still had the installers with the old version system.
So I believe they have been doing these background changes on the installers for games getting "real" updates, the problem I suspect is that there are tons of games that are not expected to get any updates in a foreseeable future.
The objective of these changes seems to be to have all installers built in the same way, so that it is possible for them to be updated through a semi-automated system. Considering that you'd want all installers to be compatible with such a system before rolling it out, it makes sense to do these internal updates in such cases. Otherwise, you'd have to wait for every single game to be updated, which would take forever if you consider some games haven't received a single "real" update since they were released here.
And we want this system to be in place as soon as possible, because that will make updating games much easier for GOG and free their staff for other more important tasks, like testing new games/versions and fixing/optimizing games with problems.
That's the way I see it, at least.
I'm not an expert but it seems, however, that some of these new internal updates have modified their content and obfuscated the installers content. You can learn more in the "Adamhm's Linux Wine Wrappers" thread, but in any case this seems to prevent the creation of an unofficial Linux version of these games. Maybe someone from the GOG staff can take a look and see if it's possible reverse this trend now that there are only a few cases.
high rated
Alexim: I'm not an expert but it seems, however, that some of these new internal updates have modified their content and obfuscated the installers content. You can learn more in the "Adamhm's Linux Wine Wrappers" thread, but in any case this seems to prevent the creation of an unofficial Linux version of these games. Maybe someone from the GOG staff can take a look and see if it's possible reverse this trend now that there are only a few cases.
This situation looks like a repeat of when GOG started encrypting the installers for a while (see the links below). It doesn't just affect my work - anyone that wants to extract the files for whatever reason (e.g. to use the game files with a source port, or on an older OS where the installer won't work or whatever else) will be unable to do so with these new installers.

https://www.gog.com/wishlist/site/dont_slip_into_drm_swamp_stop_using_password_protection_on_installer_packages
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/on_gnulinux_has_anyone_be_able_to_extract_the_rar_innosetup_installers
Hmm, is this correct that the "Galaxy-installers" are gone for good? I only see "classic installers" now.
Lin545: Hmm, is this correct that the "Galaxy-installers" are gone for good? I only see "classic installers" now.
They are still there
Attachments:
high rated
No new updates after yesterday's 'internal installer updates' deluge, so the weekly recap has been posted in the Weekly Digest thread. :)
te_lanus: They are still there
Thanks! Was this game also updated with "new installer structure"?
Alexim: I'm not an expert but it seems, however, that some of these new internal updates have modified their content and obfuscated the installers content. You can learn more in the "Adamhm's Linux Wine Wrappers" thread, but in any case this seems to prevent the creation of an unofficial Linux version of these games. Maybe someone from the GOG staff can take a look and see if it's possible reverse this trend now that there are only a few cases.
adamhm: This situation looks like a repeat of when GOG started encrypting the installers for a while (see the links below). It doesn't just affect my work - anyone that wants to extract the files for whatever reason (e.g. to use the game files with a source port, or on an older OS where the installer won't work or whatever else) will be unable to do so with these new installers.

https://www.gog.com/wishlist/site/dont_slip_into_drm_swamp_stop_using_password_protection_on_installer_packages
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/on_gnulinux_has_anyone_be_able_to_extract_the_rar_innosetup_installers
Voted the wishlist. Apparently they had decided to stop applying passwords to files, so it would make no sense that they changed their mind again, hopefully they can correct these "oversights" for the sake of preserving the games in the years to come.
high rated
Alexim: Apparently they had decided to stop applying passwords to files, so it would make no sense that they changed their mind again, hopefully they can correct these "oversights" for the sake of preserving the games in the years to come.
Yes, they did that, but S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl (setup_stalker_shoc_2.1.0.7) still has the installer password protected.

Personally, I don't like at all these new installers with obfuscated filenames, so I'll refrain to make any future purchases until they revert back to the clean installers. I regret now that I bought new credit for my wallet last week. :(
Alexim: Apparently they had decided to stop applying passwords to files, so it would make no sense that they changed their mind again, hopefully they can correct these "oversights" for the sake of preserving the games in the years to come.
ariaspi: Yes, they did that, but S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl (setup_stalker_shoc_2.1.0.7) still has the installer password protected.

Personally, I don't like at all these new installers with obfuscated filenames, so I'll refrain to make any future purchases until they revert back to the clean installers. I regret now that I bought new credit for my wallet last week. :(
It's a fortune then that I still have the original DVD of S.T.A.L.K.E.R., but this seems one of the usual forgetfulness of GOG rather than a true will, hopefully sooner or later they will remove the protection.

As for the new obfuscations, I really hope that it's not a new trend, they absolutely must return to the classic installers with clearly visible and removable files. Unfortunately lately I'm finding a lot of flaws on GOG, they are increasing proportionally to its success in bringing new AAA games on its catalog.
Death Road to Canada - The windows installers have not yet been updated to the FEMUR Update (30 March 2018), mac and linux have.
Lin545: Thanks! Was this game also updated with "new installer structure"?
Nope.

I've got this nagging suspicion that it is the "new galaxy installer" format