It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Also, LOTR2's new CD version doesn't seem to work for me, the "menu" comes up with conquer Germany or England and Wales, but clicking either just makes the game close to desktop...
staticblast: Because killing Explorer is not what this tool does, and is not necessary? This tool just creates a reg entry that uses the built-in compatibility feature that resolves the issue.

Killing Explorer is a messy way of doing something that can be resolved with a simple registry fix, wouldn't you say?
Crosmando: No way, people do NOT like having things put into their system registry when they install a game, in fact I'd say killing explorer (and then starting it when you exit the game) is less "messy" because you aren't actually changing anything about the user's computer settings, which is a bad no no. Registry entries are how many rootkits, trojans and also how many DRM systems work. It doesn't matter if it's harmless, you shouldn't sell a game which alters your system registry upon installation.

You do realise that damn near every game commercially available adds some form of registry entry, right? Hell, most software does.

The only exceptions I can come up with are games running in DOSBox and those dinky little standalone flash games.
Not DirectX stuff they don't
Crosmando: Not DirectX stuff they don't
And which rootkit/trojan/DRM system does that, hm?
Actually, here's an entire thread dedicated to methods to resolve the issue with ddraw. None of them even need registry fixes or killing explorer!

http://www.gog.com/forum/general/directdraw_fix_configurations/page1
Post edited November 22, 2013 by staticblast
staticblast: And which rootkit/trojan/DRM system does that, hm?
I'm referring to the registry entries for fixing games with palette issues, the registry entries force the game to run in compatibility mode with DirectX, yes?

And it's not really an issue of "other games do it", I just think GOG should use other methods instead of putting registry entries into installers.
staticblast: And which rootkit/trojan/DRM system does that, hm?
Crosmando: I'm referring to the registry entries for fixing games with palette issues, the registry entries force the game to run in compatibility mode with DirectX, yes?

And it's not really an issue of "other games do it", I just think GOG should use other methods instead of putting registry entries into installers.
And I think killing other functions of Windows is an extreme option which is worse that a registry entry by far.

And if you're going to claim "it's not really an issue of "other games do it"", then it's not really an issue if rootkits/trojans/DRM do it, either.

Hence your entire argument collapses into a pile of "I don't like it, so don't do it" with no good reasoning. Especially since people clearly don't have issues with other games doing it.

Anyway, it's a moot argument. I've already pointed out that there are dll wrappers. In fact, I believe Fallout 1 already uses such a dll wrapper in the GOG release! So, not much of a stretch to include a similar fix for other ddraw games with palette issues.
Post edited November 22, 2013 by staticblast
Dragon Lore: The Legend Begins is now available in Brazilian Portuguese (complete with manual in the same language inside the installer! :) )
JudasIscariot: Dragon Lore: The Legend Begins is now available in Brazilian Portuguese (complete with manual in the same language inside the installer! :) )
Don't have this game but is nice to see an old game in my country's language, years ago very few developers launched games with this idiom in oficial form...
JudasIscariot: Dragon Lore: The Legend Begins is now available in Brazilian Portuguese (complete with manual in the same language inside the installer! :) )
gandalf.nho: Don't have this game but is nice to see an old game in my country's language, years ago very few developers launched games with this idiom in oficial form...
It's nice to be able to get it on the site :)

Didn't think we'd be able to since MercadoLivre is, from what I can tell, a Brazil-only version of eBay :)
Ekhm...This week on gog? Did someone overslept (again) or it's a new secular tradition that we should go directly on youtube?
gandalf.nho: Don't have this game but is nice to see an old game in my country's language, years ago very few developers launched games with this idiom in oficial form...
JudasIscariot: It's nice to be able to get it on the site :)

Didn't think we'd be able to since MercadoLivre is, from what I can tell, a Brazil-only version of eBay :)
Yes, is a brazilian-only site. Years ago, basically the only publishers who released officialy some games in brazilian portuguese were EA and Microsoft, but we had some non-oficial translations too (made by the brazilian distributors, but this normally caused problems because they normally needed custom patches too...)
JudasIscariot: It's nice to be able to get it on the site :)

gandalf.nho: Yes, is a brazilian-only site. Years ago, basically the only publishers who released officialy some games in brazilian portuguese were EA and Microsoft, but we had some non-oficial translations too (made by the brazilian distributors, but this normally caused problems because they normally needed custom patches too...)
We got lucky that the seller was also a retro gamer who kept his game in excellent condition :)
1nsane has a new 2.0 installer and is now available in English, French, Italian, German, and Spanish :)
Vampire The Masquerade - Redemption got a silent v2 update
More updates:

Unreal Tournament 99
Postal 1
SWAT 1+2
Pandemonium
Mobile Forces
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 2
Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen 2
Hitman
Hitman 2