It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

omg omg omg omg omg!!! *doing my happy dance* =D =D =D

thanks a bunch!!!!!!! My first time winning anything with my singing =D =D =D

congrats to all the participants!!!! it was so much fun to do =D
Fesin: And the results are in:

1st place goes with 36% of the votes (=9) to tamkatie.
2nd place would be ClaymoreFan with 25% of the votes (=6).
3rd place is DargoD13 with 16% (=4).

I also decided to give another 9.99$ to the third place, because which contest gives away only two prices, right?

Please PM me whatever game you want, and you can of course choose several games as long as they don't exceed the 10$ mark, and you can also choose games from the current Weekend Promo, or wait for tomorrow's Gem Promo, if you want.

The consolation prices go to duragon, Spinorial and RichieBerry.

Congratulations to the winners, and thank you all for participating, bumping, donating prizes and for generally making this a far more successful contest than I hoped! (Although a few more voting users would have been appreciated - maybe the time frame between the announcement and the voting process was too long?)
Wow, excellent giveaway, Fesin - thank you! Congrats to the winners!
Now that this thing is finally over I can safely denounce the atrocity of it. While I can respect Fesin's wish to allow the participants and audience to select their favoured performance, I can not stress this enough: the democratic process has no place in art! None! Discourse, arguments, counterarguments, blatant subjectivism or pure blind luck all could be accommodated, but not the combined will of the masses, certainly not the anonymous masses. Art, even bad art, is a personal expression of creativity that demands sentient judgement. How this is rendered may vary, but at its core there needs to be a single consciousness for the art to impact upon and thus derive some appreciation, be it positive, or negative, or ambivalent. Consensus-building doesn't factor into it.

Art is inherently subjective, but in this case democracy failed even the most objective of tests; because there was no question whose performance was best, and 36% is one of the more pathetic representations of "best" I have ever seen. Tamkatie's performance was far and away the best of the lot; that's a strictly objective statement of fact. It wasn't slightly better than the next, wasn't arguably better, it simply was the best. 100%. The fact that it wasn't represented thus in the scores, or even remotely close to it, demonstrates the profound inadequacy of the vote in artistic matters. The fact that people actually voted this way devalues the work of both tamkatie and the other participants, who are all perfectly capable of seeing the truth when it is before them. It clearly wasn't a matter of cynical self-voting, either (harmless in itself, when openly acknowledged). Simply put, people's work was reduced to an arbitrary statistic.

I suppose we should be grateful that tamkatie was at least deemed a winner, as democracy is well known to make idiots and hypocrites of the best of men. As for my own work, I submitted a post. Not a link, not even three links, nor separate entries. The entire post. I submitted it to be appreciated and enjoyed as a whole, as in turn I would appreciate other entrants' work. That it was all reduced to a single link (and the worst one to boot), felt both insulting and demoralising. I have no idea how many people actually looked at my original post and listened to my other works(my best guess is 3 or 4), but I am damn sure there weren't as many as visited the poll post. Whether they listened to all the links there, I can not say either - I would certainly not expect anyone to listen to a slew of monotone, fairly bad renditions of a not-particularly-upbeat tune, even if voting behoved them to. Alas, an anonymous vote was bound to be thus.

Had I known Fesin was actually going to proceed with a poll, I would have withdrawn my entry; any winnings out of this were earmarked for others anyway. Had I seen the poll post quickly enough, I would have protested. Sadly, it was too late and I could only bide my time until I could express this objection. Doing it in the middle of the process, I felt, would have been rude to Fesin and disruptive to the giveaway, but it simply needed to be said, eventually.

In the end, I wish to congratulate tamkatie on a well-deserved win. The other recipients, too, I congratulate - one way or the other, you were deemed deserving, and I hesitate to say that it was wrong. Well done! Even if the execution was questionable, I can not doubt the initial intent of the giveaway, for which I am grateful to Fesin! Finally, thanks to him, and Darko, and the "anonymous" one for their generosity; that much I can appreciate.
I will speak openly. Anyone should feel free to discuss, but don't make it personal to Fesin and Spinorial. There is no fight here. We are all presenting our opinions.

Spinorial: Well done! ... I can not doubt the initial intent of the giveaway, for which I am grateful to Fesin!
Fesin has some courage, for sure. Be the first one to do it. Put his own time into this. Pick the right song. Do you know how tricky it is to pick a song, that will be both interesting and easy to sing? Something that at least some people would like. Without arguing about music taste and such.

Spinorial: Had I known Fesin was actually going to proceed with a poll...
Again, it was the first time someone done a singing contest. Fesin did not know how many entries will be. He simply could not predict it in the beginnig.

Spinorial: I submitted it to be appreciated and enjoyed as a whole, as in turn I would appreciate other entrants' work. That it was all reduced to a single link...
I understand. As a metter of fact, I did read your post. And I did listen to all your work, all links provided.
But every contest has rules. And according to them, others provided exactly what they have been asked for. Some info and a link. Should you choose to do more than that, is up to you. Your post, your desition. But you can't demand from others to do the same.

Spinorial: ...there was no question whose performance was best.
Say, tamkatie is with 14 votes now. How to determine a runner-up? Some saw a winner, and wanted to determine the second best.
So, most of the gift codes are out, which means the contest is now finally almost completely over.
Now I guess I should respond to this here:

Spinorial: [...]
The first thing I want to say, is that regardless of your criticism and if it is true or not, I certainly don't appreciate you describing this contest as an "atrocity". That's just not very encouraging.

Now, I while I'm the first one to agree that the voting process wasn't as well thought out as it could have been, I don't think the problem was that there was a vote at all. The other possibility would have been me dictating who should win and who shouldn't and that's not something I want to do.
Contrary to you I also because don't believe in objectivity in music or art in general. tamkatie's version wasn't "objectively" the best, but the subjective majority thought it was the best. There are no facts in art.

In my opinion, the big problems in the voting process were
a) Using an outside poll site where I have no control or insight over it, with only being able to look at the results. Even though I realized this mistake pretty fast, I didn't want to stop the whole thing and start it again.
In hindsight I would say it would probably have been the best solution to let the people vote via PM.

I also would probably use the "Eurovision" system, where you don't vote for an absolute favorite, but give a certain amount of points to the contestants.

b) Not enough voters. This resulted in a very narrow poll, without a lot of difference between the contestants, which is what you seemed to criticize too. If you subtract the contestants, only 13-17 people voted, which is what me disappointed me the most. Sadly, I really have no idea what the reason for this was, or how to remedy it. The contest was often bumped by other friendly users, and thus should have been visible for more people in the forum - maybe it was the title that didn't make it clear enough that this is a contest? Input in this regard would be very welcome.

As for your criticism that I only posted one of your versions, I did enjoy your post very much, and I said so, but that wasn't exactly the assignment of this contest. I also wanted to restrict it to one version per person, both for fairness and simplicity's sake.
I also asked you which version you want to enter to the contest, but I got no reply from you, so I had to improvise, which to me logically means using the version that's closest to the original.

If you consider your entire post a piece of art, rather than just the individual songs, than that's is of course a valid viewpoint - but I can't let that be judged in contrast to individual songs, because those are just much too different to be compared - in the same way like you can't say that this sculpture from this artist is better than the painting from this artist, but worse than the performance piece by this - there just has to be a certain kind of standardization in order to compare them - and while I would have loved to give every contestant a prize, I can't afford that - somehow a winner must be chosen.
Fesin: So, most of the gift codes are out, which means the contest is now finally almost completely over.
Now I guess I should respond to this here:
I apologise if I was misunderstood. The contest itself was no atrocity, far from it. What I do find objectionable though is the use of polling and statistic in evaluations of art, be it good or bad. I respect your view on the matter, but I remain of the opinion that art needs to be judged by specific responsible individuals, critics as it were. Your suggested polling improvements would have been better indeed, but still no remedy to the problem as I see it.

At this point I hasten to clarify: this was your giveaway and you have every right to run it as you see fit. In making my post I merely wished to raise the issue of evaluating art and an egregious offence, as I saw it. I would much prefer if it were read as a general critique of the polling method, rather than anything you did. Thank you for the unique and ambitious giveaway! Though I do wish you had been a tad more ambitious and acted the critic ;)

As for tamkatie's contribution, I deem it objectively better on the quality of the singing alone, a baseline if you will. Past that, there could have been comparisons of style, etc., but fundamentally it seems obvious she simply sang better, factually.
Fesin: The contest was often bumped by other friendly users, and thus should have been visible for more people in the forum - maybe it was the title that didn't make it clear enough that this is a contest? Input in this regard would be very welcome.
I guess a more explicit thread title would have helped with attracting more voters.
However, if people didn't bother voting in a simple poll, it might be even more difficult if you ask them to vote through PM.
So my suggestion is this:
Have them vote through PM in order to verify the legitimacy of the results, but add a small incentive for voters. Say that there will be a random draw for every one that votes and the winner of this draw gets to pick a game from a specific list. If you decide to do that for future giveaways, I could provide that game.
People can be lazy sometimes and I guess that there are many that didn't check this thread again after they first saw that they had to record something in order to enter the giveaway.
Post edited April 15, 2013 by DarkoD13