It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Ganni1987: By reading the chat, it seems to me like they're trying to cover it all up due to a workflow issue on their end. Other devs don't have this issue.

In comparison, the game Northgard comes to mind, those guys put out an update for all 3 OS's almost every week. Other frequently updated games such as Dead Cells and Fell Seal also have multi platform versions and none of them have this issue.
I suppose it's up to developers. If they are bad at making a release that works well across all stores, that's what happens (in that case they need to customize it for each store, which is an annoying chore). Other developers are possibly better at it, or they put more effort into this upfront, so they know how to avoid such issues.

It is totally doable without the need to maintain different builds. I.e. what stops them from simply putting their Steam build here? If it crashes or doesn't run without Steam - it means they coded it badly.

From the context, I don't think THQ Nordic is the problem, it's about Mimi developers.
Post edited September 18, 2020 by shmerl
shmerl: From the context, I don't think THQ Nordic is the problem, it's about Mimi developers.
Please don't speculate about something we don't know anything! Originally I did ask Mimimi directly (they have a Discord server, too) and there was specifically said that I must ask THQ Nordic since they're making the releases (for the exact wording someone would have to check their desperados3-ama channel).

It's just really frustrating since both have released Linux builds in the past.
shmerl: From the context, I don't think THQ Nordic is the problem, it's about Mimi developers.
Selecting platforms for release is usually a publisher's prerogative.
"Shadow Tactics" was also developed by "Mimimi", but published by "Daedalic Entertainment".

But either way, we shall not needlessly accuse developers or publishers, or throw tantrums in general.

Persuade them -- yes, annoy -- no.
I think it would be nice if more Linux users on GOG would go to their Discord channel and politely tell THQ Nordic it made unwise move, based on unreliable and wrongly interpreted information (release lag for a platform always results in reduced sales).

Even if their "highly unlikely" is just an euphemism for "no" (because telling the blunt truth is bad for PR), keyboard button presses are cheap and Discord registration is free, so, I think, some pressure can be applied by just showing up there and saying "Hi from a non-customer!".
Post edited September 18, 2020 by Alm888
sik.crash: I must ask THQ Nordic since they're making the releases
I always thought it's developers' job to prepare builds and etc. If publishers are doing it, it means they have their own team to handle that.

However, it still directly ties into the game code, which goes back to the original developers, not publishers. The presented arguments above were something like "we need different builds for each store". This argument can't come from the publisher, if developer simply gives them the build that works in all stores, period. Unless I'm really missing something else here.
Post edited September 18, 2020 by shmerl
sik.crash: I must ask THQ Nordic since they're making the releases
shmerl: I always thought it's developers' job to prepare builds and etc. If publishers are doing it, it means they have their own team to handle that.

However, it still directly ties into the game code, which goes back to the original developers, not publishers. The presented arguments above were something like "we need different builds for each store". This argument can't come from the publisher, if developer simply gives them the build that works in all stores, period. Unless I'm really missing something else here.
I think you're missing that we really don't know how the responsibilities are divided. Maybe THQ Nordic just gets ready archives for each release, just publishes it on the platforms and they're just talking about the general QA. But it's still possible that they get the whole source and build it themselves. That is actually quite common in open source distributions. ("Funny" sidenote: whoever was responsible, they already screwed up one of the patches in the Epic store…)

And I really doubt that there is anything in the game code which would prevent a release. It's still a Unity game & all Mimimi games are available on GOG (two also for Linux).

So please just stop blaming based on assumptions. All we know for sure is that THQ Nordic does not want to release Desperados III for Linux/macOS on GOG.
sik.crash: And I really doubt that there is anything in the game code which would prevent a release. It's still a Unity game & all Mimimi games are available on GOG (two also for Linux).
Then it's even worse, and shows a rather obvious level of incompetence on the part of ones who are doing the releases. I don't see a reason to avoid criticizing them for it.
Post edited September 19, 2020 by shmerl
shmerl: Then it's even worse, and shows a rather obvious level of incompetence on the part of ones who are doing the releases.
You're still just speculating that there is a technical reason. All we've got is a fancy excuse with fancy words ("builds"). I don't think that they are too incompetent to create additional builds. But all we know is that they are not doing it because it is additional work & not for free (QA, making sure everything runs, etc.).

shmerl: I don't see a reason to avoid criticizing them for it.
I'm not asking you to stop "criticizing them for it", I'm asking you to stop claiming it's Mimimi's fault. We don't know that (based on the information that was gathered).
sik.crash: You're still just speculating that there is a technical reason
I'm using their responses, which they phrased as a technical reason. If it's not technical, then it's even worse than it sounds.
Post edited September 21, 2020 by shmerl
is this still a active thread with like a spread sheet or something to keep track?
aRealCyborg: is this still a active thread with like a spread sheet or something to keep track?
@muntdefems (owner of this thread) was active and maintained several useful threads before.
However, he/she had to leave this community for RealWorld™ issues. Some of his/her threads were adobted by others.

I and other people keep updating this thread, but no one can edit #1 anymore.
Post edited September 21, 2020 by kbnrylaec
I may be wrong, because GOG's data is often inconsistent, but it looks like Adventures of Chris received Linux version. At least it has received a penguin icon ;)
Small update on the Desperados 3 situation, I emailed Mimimi (the dev of the game) about the GOG release, expressing my disappointment, this was their reply:

Thanks for your email! We always appreciate feedback from our fans.

We understand your disappointment. However, this is a topic that is handled and coordinated by the publisher THQ Nordic. They are in charge of the publishing topics, which also involves the release strategy for the different platforms. We're focusing on making the best game possible.
It's best if you reach out to them directly on Discord or here: https://www.thqnordic.com/company/contact. The more people let them know that they want a Mac / Linux release for GoG the better!
So it seems the issue is on THQ's end.
Post edited October 19, 2020 by Ganni1987
Ganni1987: So it seems the issue is on THQ's end.
I got a similar response from Mimimi. Did you contacting THQ Nordic? I sent a message to them, but got no response so far. We need to show them that that ignoring GOG Linux users was a bad move.
Looks like Creepy Tale has Linux version now.
Samorost 2 has lost its Linux support icon.
Anyone owns it to answer, how it looks from available installers perspective?