It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

adamhm:
Oh yeah, manually installing the nVidia drivers is pretty brutal. I actually do it manually on my desktop and had to write up a guide for myself so I don't forget how to do it. It's not without it's problems either once you do get it working, when Ubuntu updates certain packages they need to be re-installed. I probably won't ever do that again and just stick with the repos.

On topic I actually did use the repositories to install the nVidia drivers on the laptop though, which is automatically supposed to install and configure Prime. And it did work for one boot until I tried switching. I probably should have checked the logs for some hints before rage quitting, but I'm sure I'll try again when I have the time and right temperament. I've come up dry searching for information so far too, all I get are unanswered posts from other people with the same issue.
MikeMaximus: Oh yeah, manually installing the nVidia drivers is pretty brutal. I actually do it manually on my desktop and had to write up a guide for myself so I don't forget how to do it. It's not without it's problems either once you do get it working, when Ubuntu updates certain packages they need to be re-installed. I probably won't ever do that again and just stick with the repos.
You might want to try sgfxi if you ever feel like trying that in the future. Though you may still need to fight with DKMS a bit. Haven't used it for some time as my GPU is rather old and the distro's drivers are current for it.
Not that that will help with Prime bugs...
Gydion: You might want to try sgfxi if you ever feel like trying that in the future. Though you may still need to fight with DKMS a bit. Haven't used it for some time as my GPU is rather old and the distro's drivers are current for it.
Not that that will help with Prime bugs...
Thanks I'll check that out.

As for my laptop problem, I tried again yesterday doing various things differently with no success. I did notice that after installing the nVidia drivers I'd start to get errors regarding the Intel i915 firmware which didn't happen before. I've been reading the ASUS ROG forums this morning and from what I gather, Prime / BumbleBee simply do not work yet with the newish generation of mobile nVidia GPUs. I guess I have to choose to either use the Intel GPU or the nVidia one, which isn't really a huge deal.
Do I have to enable Legacy Boot support from the Bios for this? I saw nothing about this in the guide.
It shouldn't be necessary - Mint supports UEFI
adamhm: It shouldn't be necessary - Mint supports UEFI
Ah. Ok. No wonder. Thank you.
I was trying to install the latest version of Mint (64 bit 18 "Sarah") on my laptop using a SD card USB adapter. Live would boot up just fine but when installing Mint, it would hang the installation for 2 or more hours at "Detecting File Systems" I have nothing connected other than the SD card adapter and have even used it to re-install Windows 7 64bit perfectly. I have searched for the answer on the Mint forums and have found an answer but it's Greek to me:

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=227667&p=1202199&hilit=detecting+file+systems#p1202199

Also, I'm trying to install it along side Windows 7 Pro 64 bit to dual boot.

Thank You.
Post edited December 13, 2016 by vidsgame
The problem in the thread you linked to is different, although with a similar outcome. I did some quick testing with several SD card readers here without issue, but it's possible that there's something about the SD reader you're using and/or the system's BIOS/UEFI that the installer is having trouble with (the way the HDD is partitioned is another possibility, although less likely assuming that all it has is a Win7 partition). Do you have a normal USB drive you can try it with?
Post edited December 14, 2016 by adamhm
adamhm: The problem in the thread you linked to is different, although with a similar outcome. I did some quick testing with several SD card readers here without issue, but it's possible that there's something about the SD reader you're using and/or the system's BIOS/UEFI that the installer is having trouble with (the way the HDD is partitioned is another possibility, although less likely assuming that all it has is a Win7 partition). Do you have a normal USB drive you can try it with?
I'll try that. Thank you, Adam. Also, I'm installing this on an SSD. I've been using that for Windows 7 without issue. Here, I thought the installation would be the easiest part, as it runs just fine in live mode, in fact, I'm typing this from Mint even now as the installation lags.
Attachments:
Found a reason to bump this thread, on the back of adamhm's fantastic give-away =)

At work we can access the network, mail and software and such via Citrix Receiver. I didn't get that working on Linux before, and had to use Windows 7 via VirtualBox to log on. But then I came across this helpful article, which solved it: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CitrixICAClientHowTo

I "only" carried out steps 5 and 8, and the former was probably the key step, because I was getting a SSL error before. Now it works flawlessly, and I can log onto the work environment using Linux Mint :)
A quick question from a person who's reading up on the basics, how do people running non-Ubuntu systems use the Linux versions of games that state in the system requirements that Ubuntu or steam is the recommended OS? Does having a game on any one distro make it compatible on others too?

PS, didn't check date, but seems topical so bump is probably not violating the rules.
Post edited April 15, 2017 by Shadowstalker16
Shadowstalker16: A quick question from a person who's reading up on the basics, how do people running non-Ubuntu systems use the Linux versions of games that state in the system requirements that Ubuntu or steam is the recommended OS? Does having a game on any one distro make it compatible on others too?

PS, didn't check date, but seems topical so bump is probably not violating the rules.
Major distros all work fine, like Debian, Gentoo, Arch, and Ubuntu based distros(Mint...).
Shadowstalker16: A quick question from a person who's reading up on the basics, how do people running non-Ubuntu systems use the Linux versions of games that state in the system requirements that Ubuntu or steam is the recommended OS? Does having a game on any one distro make it compatible on others too?

kbnrylaec: Major distros all work fine, like Debian, Gentoo, Arch, and Ubuntu based distros(Mint...).
Thanks! I always wondered why a Linux release always meant an Ubuntu release.

Some dependencies might not be met on all distros. You'll also find that some libraries might be named differently, for instance. It's annoying, but there is nearly always a workaround.

That said, I still haven't figured out why crysis doesn't run on Fedora...
For AMD users that wan't to change to Linux I would recommend the <span class="bold">Antergos distribution</span>. The distribution was recommended to me by Judas 1 or 2 years ago but at that point the AMD graphical drivers (Catalyst/Crimson Software) weren't maintaned very well by AMD. But now there is very good support for AMD graphical cards in the form of by default installed MESA drivers.

Antergos is an Arch Linux based distribution that runs basically an up to date Linux kernel (4.11.2) and latest MESA graphical drivers (currently 17.1.0) and more or less all Linux games/ports will run on AMD cards on Linux. The distribution is very user friendly. It offers a choice of six desktops. For me the best is Cinammon which emulates old Windwos XP/7 desktop and as such is perfect for beginners. Otherwise its more less identical to other Linux distributions in handling it.

Currently I tested Company of Heroes 2, Cities: Skylines, Transport Fever and Realpolitiks. All run practically without a glitch. Occasionally a crash to destkop occurs on game startup but that is cause of occasional graphical driver instability.

Do gog games run on it? Yes.

As said I recommend the distribution to all AMD users since LTS versions of Mint and Ubuntu do not carry up to date drivers for AMD graphical cards.
Post edited May 27, 2017 by Matruchus