It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Piranjade: E_A (my husband) showed me what that database would look like and I think it would be good to have.
It's like a table with the game name on the left side and then all the important information in the next columns. We can write anywhere in the table, we can search the table etc. It really looks handy. It has a login page so only we can see and access and change it.
I hope E_A can finish programming it soon. We're out of town for the weekend starting Friday so I'm not sure he can do it this week,

And for everything else you all discovered: That's great!
Due to me living in a different time zone it's always exciting to read what happened over night!
Well I'll be! :) This is fantastic!

Don't force your hubby to stress over it, though; take the time you both need, as I'm sure this thing called "real life" needs to be dealt with, also.

Perhaps there could be ways to break up what is being written by which person? (like separate textboxes for each game so people can each have their own little "writing space") Or some other way to tag who writes what? Alternatively, we could just add a space between who writes what, and then write our names before the information we provide. Or if colored text is available, that's another way to tell. :P

Could we make backups of the database, just to ensure that the compilation of data doesn't get lost if something goes wrong?
tfishell: Yes, good point. My main hope for "3rd Party IP" is GOG getting the D&D license for SSI's Gold Box games.

I'm not always able to factor this in as I'm just going off what Abandonia says, and unless it has a tag like "Dungeons and Dragons series" or it's obvious in the title like "Lord of the Rings", I won't necessarily know for sure whether there are those extra complications or not. But ultimately GOG can figure it out for sure.
Lord of the Rings is not D&D, nor SSI.

I'd love to have the Interplay's LotR RPGs in GOG. They were very well received back then.

IAmSinistar: Found some more info on Heretic Kingdoms: The Inquisition. Tracking the creators, 3D People s.r.o., I discovered that most of them went on to found Games Farm, s.r.o.. A visit to their company website reveals that they may still be in business. Furthermore, they list Heretic Kingdoms: The Inquisition (under its European title Kult: Heretic Kingdoms) under the Games and have a page for it.
I remember reading about that one. It seemed like a very good game.
tfishell: Yes, good point. My main hope for "3rd Party IP" is GOG getting the D&D license for SSI's Gold Box games.

I'm not always able to factor this in as I'm just going off what Abandonia says, and unless it has a tag like "Dungeons and Dragons series" or it's obvious in the title like "Lord of the Rings", I won't necessarily know for sure whether there are those extra complications or not. But ultimately GOG can figure it out for sure.
RaggieRags: Lord of the Rings is not D&D, nor SSI.

I'd love to have the Interplay's LotR RPGs in GOG. They were very well received back then.
No I know that, but I'm saying with LotR or other games based on registered works, because it's based on something else, bringing them here without the permission of whoever controls the original works will not happen. (In LotR's case, I think it's the Tolkien family that has control.) It's a situation similar to Wizards of the Coast, D&D, and the Gold Box games/Ubisoft. Or I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream and Harlan Ellison.

That's just what I'm trying to convey.
RaggieRags: Lord of the Rings is not D&D, nor SSI.

tfishell: No I know that, but I'm saying with LotR or other games based on registered works, because it's based on something else, bringing them here without the permission of whoever controls the original works will not happen. (In LotR's case, I think it's the Tolkien family that has control.) It's a situation similar to Wizards of the Coast, D&D, and the Gold Box games/Ubisoft. Or I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream and Harlan Ellison.

That's just what I'm trying to convey.
Sorry, my mistake.
tfishell: Perhaps there could be ways to break up what is being written by which person? (like separate textboxes for each game so people can each have their own little "writing space") Or some other way to tag who writes what? Alternatively, we could just add a space between who writes what, and then write our names before the information we provide. Or if colored text is available, that's another way to tell. :P
Hah! That was the first question I asked as well!
Sadly no coloured text. We could have separated columns for each of us but I think that would make it all more complicated.
From what I have seen so far tagging our piece of information might be the best way, meaning we just put #Piran etc. in front of what we're writing.

The good thing about this database is that if games from different developers went to a company and that company was bought/went under we don't have to search what happened again and again but can easily find the information we compiled for that company when we searched for the first game.

tfishell: Could we make backups of the database, just to ensure that the compilation of data doesn't get lost if something goes wrong?
I'll ask him tonight.
What about those golden oldies already available on Steam? These games must be free of complications with the rights, and they are already working on modern computers, so they should be fairly easy to get into GOG. In fact, why aren't they in GOG already? Maybe some e-mails would add extra incentive to make a deal with GOG?

From the top of my head, Steam has games like Doom, Heretic, Hexen, Cosmic Osmo, Commander Keen...
RaggieRags: From the top of my head, Steam has games like Doom, Heretic, Hexen, Cosmic Osmo, Commander Keen...
No clue about Cosmic Osmo, but Doom, Heretic, Hexen, Commander Keen all belong to ZeniMax now and ZeniMax has no deal with GOG. Why that is is not known. Maybe they are "Steam exclusive", maybe there are other reasons.
The only ZeniMax game on GOG is Arx Fatalis and that was already here before ZeniMax bought the property.
Folks, what you really need to consider is if you should ask "big names" about rights to the games. When you do that with devs or small companies, it's good way to find out about the copyrights. But asking Sony or id Software is GOGs job.

You can interfere in some negotiations there, and it could hurt them.
RaggieRags: From the top of my head, Steam has games like Doom, Heretic, Hexen, Cosmic Osmo, Commander Keen...
Piranjade: No clue about Cosmic Osmo, but Doom, Heretic, Hexen, Commander Keen all belong to ZeniMax now and ZeniMax has no deal with GOG. Why that is is not known. Maybe they are "Steam exclusive", maybe there are other reasons.
The only ZeniMax game on GOG is Arx Fatalis and that was already here before ZeniMax bought the property.
Yeah, and Take 2 have the rights to some more of them like XCom series and GTA series
I assume a lot of the jRPGs like Ys series and FF7 are region locked to not be available in Japan because they're weird

I don't know why we can't get the Archon remake they have over there - Archon Classic though, as I've said before!

Oh Sega have a load on their Genesis games running on some sort of emulator too, we'd need Sega for those though, obviously, maybe they don't want to sell in Japan either though?

What else is there? Hmm Lucas Arts stuff as discussed as nauseum...

Oooh hang on - this is interesting, Steam still have the early Red Faction games on sale and the game page suggests that Nordic games got the rights in the THQ sell off and we already have games here from Nordic...
Fever_Discordia: Oooh hang on - this is interesting, Steam still have the early Red Faction games on sale and the game page suggests that Nordic games got the rights in the THQ sell off and we already have games here from Nordic...
Yup, they even have a representative on these forums!
http://www.gog.com/forum/general/2013_nodrm_summer_sale_begins_on_gogcom/post302
It sounds like they'd like to make the games available, maybe they've been working something out with GOG.
Piranjade: Hah! That was the first question I asked as well!
Sadly no coloured text. We could have separated columns for each of us but I think that would make it all more complicated.
From what I have seen so far tagging our piece of information might be the best way, meaning we just put #Piran etc. in front of what we're writing.

The good thing about this database is that if games from different developers went to a company and that company was bought/went under we don't have to search what happened again and again but can easily find the information we compiled for that company when we searched for the first game.
What is he developing the database in? If it's a web technology like PHP backed by MySQL, then I'd be glad to help some. I am a software developer and have written numerous web database applications. I do not wish to take over his project or anything, just offering assistance if desired.
IAmSinistar: What is he developing the database in? If it's a web technology like PHP backed by MySQL, then I'd be glad to help some. I am a software developer and have written numerous web database applications. I do not wish to take over his project or anything, just offering assistance if desired.
I have no clue. Just drop him a PM. :-)
Piranjade: I have no clue. Just drop him a PM. :-)
Done, thanks!
SLP2000: Folks, what you really need to consider is if you should ask "big names" about rights to the games. When you do that with devs or small companies, it's good way to find out about the copyrights. But asking Sony or id Software is GOGs job.

You can interfere in some negotiations there, and it could hurt them.
I haven't really been bothering with ZeniMax and others that size because I assumed they wouldn't listen to me anyway. I did send a tweet to LucasArts, but that twitter account hasn't been used since January anyway. :P
tfishell:
Worth a shot, a quick message never hurts.