It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Piranjade: Not me. Kalypso Media already has some games here on GOG - also from Westwood (YAY!).
Hmm, well I think a simple email asking is probably harmless, so I'll give it a go. Naturally I won't mention GOG or their existing partnership, because I am not legally empowered by GOG and have no desire to imply any kind of deal would necessarily be forthcoming if they did hold the rights.

Piranjade: So THE question is: Who bought Thalion?
That is a good question. It sounds like Thalion and the game rights were scattered to the four quarters, so it could be a situation where almost every game is in a different person's hands.

I did find one other common person bridging both Thalion and Ascaron, and she worked on Amberstar and Ambermoon - Monika Krawinkel. If anyone wants to try to trace her through the German sites, she may know something as well.
IAmSinistar: That would be useful, thanks. Hopefully it would stop me asking questions which were already answered. Hey, here's one now - has anyone been in touch with Kalypso Media directly about this?
Piranjade: Not me. Kalypso Media already has some games here on GOG - also from Westwood (YAY!).
tfishell: Erik and Holger probably won't be able to help. They were never able to help me. They founded Thalion but because there was a "Management buy out" in 1991/2. I don't know who this was with. I thought it had something to do with the publishing deal they had with Grandslam Entertaiment UK? I know that the late Willie Carminke (who was credited as being part of United Software) was involved. One of the Thalion games "Neuronics" was a thalion game but came in a "United Software" box rather than the traditional Thalion boxes. Holger left shortly after this buyout and formed his own company Ascaron. Erik and the others were only employees from this point until the end. They had no ownership of IP or the financial running of the company.
Piranjade: So THE question is: Who bought Thalion?
I don't think it was one single company; I believe it was several different companies or people who bought the various properties. The email makes it sound like they weren't keeping very good records on who bought what, unfortunately, as they were just trying to get "every last scrap of cash" for the IP.

Here's Henk Nieborg's website; he did the art for Lionheart. http://henknieborg.nl/old/index.html
I still believe that THE question is who bought Thalion as that is company/the persons who sold the rights/licences.
If the people who then bought the rights/the licences never did anything with them, we'll not find any trace. But the people who sold the licences might remember where they went to or which licences didn't sell at all.

I contacted Computec about Amberstar, they say they don't have the rights.

So really, who bought Thalion?
Post edited August 12, 2013 by Piranjade
Piranjade: EDIT 2:
Here is a Thalion reunion video. And one of them commented on it. I don't think you can send messages on youtube to other youtube users, right?
If you're talking about Alex Holland, you can follow his YouTube link to his Google+ profile, which gives you his Twitter, email, etc.
https://plus.google.com/u/0/103790748659967386935/about
It even mentions that he is a contributor to the Thalion webshrine.
Post edited August 12, 2013 by SCPM
Email sent to Kalypso Media (at their info@ address):

----------------------------------------

Hello,

I am a games researcher and I hope you can help me with a request for information, or alternately forward it to someone who may. I am researching the ownership history of two games produced by Thalion, the games Amberstar and Ambermoon. I have found that many Thalion titles were acquired by Ascaron when the former folded, and that Ascaron in turn was acquired by yourselves. Can you tell me if Amberstar and/or Ambermoon are among the properties you still hold? If not, any information as to who now holds them would also be appreciated.

Thank very much for your time, and I look forward to your reply.

Piranjade: So really, who bought Thalion?
Professor Plum in the Conservatory with the Pipe Wrench. ;)

Seriously, I'm beginning to concur that the Thalion properties are all over the map, and that you'd need to get access to the legal documents disbursing the goods to find out where they all ended up.

Jokingly, you may have to resort to publishing the games and then wait to see who sues you to find the real owners.
SCPM: If you're talking about Alex Holland, you can follow his YouTube link to his Google+ profile, which gives you his Twitter, email, etc.
https://plus.google.com/u/0/103790748659967386935/about
It even mentions that he is a contributor to the Thalion webshrine.
Well, erm, Alex was actually the person I was in contact with, but he said he wouldn't be able to help me anymore once he learned GOG was a commercial site.
Well the email to Kalypso was a bust. Looks like their bot got ahold of it before it ever reached a human. Here's the response I received, which also included the same in German below it:

Dear Sir or Madam,

You have mailed info@kalypsomedia.com - please note this address is reserved for general inquiries about Kalypso Media *only*.

Please send all game support inquiries to support@kalypsomedia.com

Your message was not forwarded.

Best regards,

Kalypso Media

I suspect an email to support@ won't do any good either, since it will likely generate a form response that Kalypso Media doesn't sell or support Amberstar/Ambermoon.

Technology makes life so much easier...
Piranjade: So really, who bought Thalion?
IAmSinistar: Professor Plum in the Conservatory with the Pipe Wrench. ;)

Seriously, I'm beginning to concur that the Thalion properties are all over the map, and that you'd need to get access to the legal documents disbursing the goods to find out where they all ended up.

Jokingly, you may have to resort to publishing the games and then wait to see who sues you to find the real owners.
I've got a lead! It might take a few days to resolve though.
I also started looking at the legal documents here at the register of companies but I would have to play € 4.50 for more information, so I'll first see if the other lead turns something up.
IAmSinistar: Professor Plum in the Conservatory with the Pipe Wrench. ;)

Piranjade: I've got a lead! It might take a few days to resolve though.
I also started looking at the legal documents here at the register of companies but I would have to play € 4.50 for more information, so I'll first see if the other lead turns something up.
Don't feel obligated to pay unless you're really into this. :) I have not been willing to pay for information either.

IAmSinistar: Jokingly, you may have to resort to publishing the games and then wait to see who sues you to find the real owners.
That's actually what the person at Thalion Shrine has been doing for years now, and he claims he has not received a single complaint.
Post edited August 12, 2013 by tfishell
Piranjade: I've got a lead! It might take a few days to resolve though.
tfishell: Don't feel obligated to pay unless you're really into this. :) I have not been willing to pay for information either.
No worries. So far it looks like the other lead might turn up something. And if I'm right about this, I think I might know why everybody from the old Thalion team is a bit tight-lipped about what happened to the rights.
I'll tell you all about it when (or if?) I have verified it.
IAmSinistar: Jokingly, you may have to resort to publishing the games and then wait to see who sues you to find the real owners.
tfishell: That's actually what the person at Thalion Shrine has been doing for years now, and he claims he has not received a single complaint.
Hurm, maybe you'd have to actually sell them to bring down the wrath of the true owner. Assuming they are still alive and actually care.

Piranjade: No worries. So far it looks like the other lead might turn up something. And if I'm right about this, I think I might know why everybody from the old Thalion team is a bit tight-lipped about what happened to the rights.
Wow, can't wait to hear about this! I have to confess, all this sleuthing and contacting is pretty exciting at times, too.
tfishell: Don't feel obligated to pay unless you're really into this. :) I have not been willing to pay for information either.
Piranjade: No worries. So far it looks like the other lead might turn up something. And if I'm right about this, I think I might know why everybody from the old Thalion team is a bit tight-lipped about what happened to the rights.
Sounds good. Props for your willingness to persevere. And another thanks to everyone who is helping out here, especially the "detail" people who are willing to take lots of time out to find the tiniest of clues. :)

IAmSinistar: Hurm, maybe you'd have to actually sell them to bring down the wrath of the true owner. Assuming they are still alive and actually care.
Somebody joked about doing that with No One Lives Forever - sell it on GOG, and see who complains. (I'm sure that would end perfectly well.)
Post edited August 12, 2013 by tfishell
tfishell: Somebody joked about doing that with No One Lives Forever - sell it on GOG, and see who complains. (I'm sure that would end perfectly well.)
Huh? Aren't those rights with Warner Bros.? Or am I missing something?
tfishell: Somebody joked about doing that with No One Lives Forever - sell it on GOG, and see who complains. (I'm sure that would end perfectly well.)
Piranjade: Huh? Aren't those rights with Warner Bros.? Or am I missing something?
By all accounts they ought to be.
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/13/business/technology-briefing-deals-warner-brothers-acquires-monolith.html?n=Top%2fReference%2fTimes%20Topics%2fSubjects%2fF%2fFinances
Apparently, the rights were 'lost' when parts of Vivendi were sold to Warner Brothers during their merger with Activision.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_0n-ENboZY
Post edited August 12, 2013 by SCPM
That is less than obvious: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox_Interactive

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_One_Lives_Forever_2:_A_Spy_in_H.A.R.M.%27s_Way.]NOLF 2.[/url]

Edit:

So in other words, the NOLF and NOLF 2 rights may well be with Activision.
Post edited August 12, 2013 by Kristian