It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

_Auster_: According to the description, this is a demo as well:
https://www.gog.com/game/quake_ii_rtx
Or at least from what I read, "shareware" is a type of demo.
From what I understand it is a bit like a 3 level demo, on its own, of a modern remaster of Quake 2, but if you have the full version of Quake 2 installed it applies the same remastering to all the levels.

So I guess it is a kind of cross between a game mod and demo.
This thread is live thanks to your hard work. I wanted to give it up, wrong. We will take it up. I am committed to this topic until 2031 and will keep it updated with your help. Thank you Great Citizens of Gogcomia! ^ You are the best in the Galaxy and beyond. (cut the sugar or someone sensitive will throw it at you). aaand cut!. Thank you! : )
Has anyone else noticed that GOG is silently removing demos from people's shelves? I've noticed that the Timberborn Demo has been removed from my shelf for no reason. On this post it's happened to other people too.
IronArcturus: Has anyone else noticed that GOG is silently removing demos from people's shelves? I've noticed that the Timberborn Demo has been removed from my shelf for no reason. On this post it's happened to other people too.
This happened to me too. I noticed some days ago my games count went down by one, and even opened a ticket questioning it. I'm missing the same game, and I even have the demo's entry still in my gog-manifest.dat from gogrepo.
_Auster_: This happened to me too. I noticed some days ago my games count went down by one, and even opened a ticket questioning it. I'm missing the same game, and I even have the demo's entry still in my gog-manifest.dat from gogrepo.
Apparently everyone lost the Timberborn Demo. I wish GOG would explain why it was removed from everyone's account with no explanation.
_Auster_: This happened to me too. I noticed some days ago my games count went down by one, and even opened a ticket questioning it. I'm missing the same game, and I even have the demo's entry still in my gog-manifest.dat from gogrepo.
IronArcturus: Apparently everyone lost the Timberborn Demo. I wish GOG would explain why it was removed from everyone's account with no explanation.
Little update: I just noticed my games count went down by one, again. So with Timberborn Demo, that's 2 missing now.
While demos disappearing is hardly an issue, I do agree, this raises concern about the way GOG handles game removals. They let us keep games like Ultima Underworld/Syndicate but they were being re-launched on GOG so that's hardly a good example of a modern case of this.
IronArcturus: Has anyone else noticed that GOG is silently removing demos from people's shelves? I've noticed that the Timberborn Demo has been removed from my shelf for no reason. On this post it's happened to other people too.
GOG should not be doing that.

It is one thing to remove the store page for it, quite another to modify your library without your permission, especially if it involves a complete removal. What excuse can there possibly be for doing so?

Just goes to show you should never trust them, and so download games in your library as soon as possible.

All that said, it may come back again updated, like so many of the demos do.
I noticed yesterday, I was assuming that claiming was enough to keep the demos and free stuff, but removing it from our libraries without saying anything is not okay.
See
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/games_removed_from_the_gog_catalogue_by_year/post346
Post edited August 25, 2021 by Startrail
Onde (Demo)
New Demos:

Highrise City (Demo)
Spindle (Demo)
Post edited August 25, 2021 by erbello
Not a very good excuse for the removal of the Timberborn Demo.

Once we have acquired something to our library it should stay there.

I have no problem with the removal of the demo from the web page of available demos, and a good excuse was given for that. But removing it from our library is like attempting to rewrite history and shouldn't be done. They cannot delete the demo for all those who have downloaded it, and I am guessing many would have, and will likely still try it if they haven't already.

A demo is just a demo, and most gamers realize the game can still be subject to change, sometimes dramatically.

Anyway, while it is no longer listed in our libraries, I was still able to download the latest update using gogcli.exe, because I haven't yet updated the manifest of games I have, and GOG have left it available via the GOG SDK, clearly.
Post edited August 26, 2021 by Timboli
Timboli: Not a very good excuse for the removal of the Timberborn Demo.

Once we have acquired something to our library it should stay there.

I have no problem with the removal of the demo from the web page of available demos, and a good excuse was given for that. But removing it from our library is like attempting to rewrite history and shouldn't be done. They cannot delete the demo for all those who have downloaded it, and I am guessing many would have, and will likely still try it if they haven't already.

A demo is just a demo, and most gamers realize the game can still be subject to change, sometimes dramatically.

Anyway, while it is no longer listed in our libraries, I was still able to download the latest update using gogcli.exe, because I haven't yet updated the manifest of games I have, and GOG have left it available via the GOG SDK, clearly.
Whilst I agree with the sentiment, I see where the developer is coming from as well. Guess they didn't want copies circulating beyond this temporary period.

Anyway Steam does it all the time as well. I've had a few Steam demos disappear from my library.

Since they were demos, I generally don't bother as much, unless they were special demos, such as demos that have maps/gameplay that don't appear in the final product.
I wonder what the website behavior would be if someone, that did not previously have Timberborn Demo in their account, were to redeem a Timberborn Demo code?
Post edited August 27, 2021 by solar_dome