It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Game: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II - The Sith Lords

Installer MD5:
0163b31f8763b77f567f5646d2586b61 setup_sw_kotor2_2.0.0.3.exe
bbedad0d349a653a1502f2b9f4c207fc setup_sw_kotor2_2.0.0.3-1.bin

WineHQ AppDB: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=2203

Distro: Arch Linux 64-bit
Kernel: 4.8.13-1-ARCH
Graphics card: AMD Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition
Graphics driver: xf86-video-ati 7.8.0-1 (Open Source), mesa 13.0.2-2
Wine: 1.9.23 (Staging+CSMT), older and non-staging versions work fine as well

Install notes:
The installation of the vanilla game itself is quite straightforward, no additional winetricks or anything else needed. However, there is a mod to install that is basically mandatory, since it fixes a lot of bugs and makes the game generally more complete (TSLRCM) and the game doesn't have native widescreen support, so it gets a bit more complicated. I've written up a detailed guide below.

How well does it run?
Good, very good/perfect after a lot of tinkering.

Details:
01. Install the base game as usual (I recommend a separate prefix for every game as a general rule; 64-bit and 32-bit prefixes both work perfectly). I've used wine-staging with CSMT enabled for all of my playthroughs, but vanilla Wine should work fine too. The installation may take a while, don't worry.
02. Follow this guide and use the UniWS patcher to enable your desired widescreen resolution.
03. To fix the now stretched HUD in the game, download this package.
04. Emulate a virtual desktop per winecfg with your desired resolution.
05. Install the mod/patch TSLRCM. Seriously, do it.
06. In the game, disable the options Frame Buffer Effects and Grass to prevent crashes.

Edit 2016-12-15: If you happen to use a .deb-based system (for example Debian or Linux Mint), then this excellent script by vv221 can make things a lot easier for you.
Post edited January 04, 2017 by Urnoev
Game: Subterrain
Installer MD5: c9464d30f6cb5d8e991d0636c0309f9e setup_subterrain_2.26.0.29.exe
WineHQ AppDB link: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=34539
Distro: Antergos 64-bit
Kernel version: 4.8.12-1
Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970
Graphics driver & version: Proprietary 375.20
Wine version(s) tested: Wine 1.9.24

Install notes: Just install the game.
How well does it run: Perfect
Details:

You will need to set "glsl=disabled" in winetricks before starting the game in order to have the map redraw itself properly and yes, you will need the map to redraw itself unless you like losing the map every time you go up or down the stairs of a given building :P

The game has controller support and I managed to get my Xbox 360 wired controller working somewhat but I could not get it to work to the point that I could comfortably play the game with it.

Time played: several hours and several deaths :D
Post edited December 18, 2016 by JudasIscariot
rampancy: b) To anyone who's been able to get Civ IV working in Wine: What winetricks did you use? After a lot of finagling I was finally able to get it working in CrossOver 15.3.1 with msxml3, corefonts, and DirectX (Modern), but I've been having trouble getting it to run in vanilla Wine (It keeps getting stuck on "init_engine" when it starts up).
On Linux (Mint 18) I have directx9 installed, which by itself means some libraries.

WINEPREFIX=~/.wine_sm_civilization_4/ sh winetricks list-installed
Using winetricks 20160724 - sha1sum: 263130014d4ca7ea29c0b345a86115bda93f58a1 with wine-2.0-rc1
d3dx10
d3dx9_26
d3dx9_28
d3dx9_31
d3dx9_35
d3dx9_36
d3dx9_39
d3dx9_42
directx9
xact_jun2010
xact
xinput
Maybe just d3dx9_36 would be enough and I haven't installed msxml3 until now.

Since you're a MacOS user and you cannot run the game on wine, I'm not optimistic that I could run it on FreeBSD as well. I'll try though.

I'm expecting wine on MacOS to work more like wine on FreeBSD than on Linux. Based on that it looks like that.
Post edited December 13, 2016 by vanchann
Game: Pandemonium!
Installer's MD5:dee53eb1c87be925d64e75ea01eca74f setup_pandemonium_2.0.0.15.exe
WineHQ AppDB link: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=3035
CodeWeavers link: https://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/crossover/pandemonium

Kernel version: 4.8.13-1 Zen
Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce GT 240M
Graphics driver & version: Proprietary 340.98-4
Wine version(s) tested: Wine 1.9.24 via PlayOnLinux

Install notes: None

How well does it run: Almost Perfect

Details:
* Checked both Software and 3dfx modes.
* Tested the 1st level with both characters
* There are chances that the game will have it's FPS increased. Since the gameplay speed is tied to the framerate. You may encounter a "turbo mode" when that happens. nGlide's virtual sync does not fix that problem!
* The game freezes when the music ends
*Played with virtual desktop on.
Post edited December 13, 2016 by Spy_Gentleman
Game: Pandemonium! 2
Installer's MD5: 7fe0be8b99eec1f8082e2e6b5fd65bc7 setup_pandemonium2_2.1.0.6.exe
WineHQ AppDB link: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=15563
CodeWeavers link: None

Kernel version: 4.8.13-1 Zen
Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce GT 240M
Graphics driver & version: Proprietary 340.98-4
Wine version(s) tested: Wine 1.9.24-1 via PlayOnLinux

Install notes: None

How well does it run: Almost Perfect

Details:
* Tested the 1st 3 levels
* nGlide works fine
* The music does not play in any levels
Spy_Gentleman: * The music does not play in any levels
This is the usual issue with winmm.dll that is present in several games (Outlaws, Trickstyle and maybe a few more). In crossover it is enough to add an override winmm=native,builtin, and it might also be sufficient in recent versions of Wine (if not, then please follow the instructions for Outlaws).
vanchann: Since you're a MacOS user and you cannot run the game on wine, I'm not optimistic that I could run it on FreeBSD as well. I'll try though.
Oh, I'm sure it'll run; as I said earlier, the game runs fine in CrossOver 15.3.1 which is a fork of Wine 1.8.2 (IIRC). With some exceptions, most games that I've tested in CrossOver also work in vanilla WINE. The only differences being extra winetricks or configuration tweaks that I may have to make.

The main PITA here is that Civ IV takes so long to install, which makes testing a lot more problematic.

vanchann: I'm expecting wine on MacOS to work more like wine on FreeBSD than on Linux. Based on that it looks like that.
OS X's underpinnings can indeed be traced back to FreeBSD, but there are enough higher level changes present (e.g. Apple's display layer, and Apple's HID drivers, which necessitated a lot of work on the part of Wine developers to get things like joysticks working) that means that you can't make a direct 1:1 comparison between Wine running in OS X vs. Wine running in FreeBSD.

Spy_Gentleman: * There are chances that the game will have it's FPS increased. Since the gameplay speed is tied to the framerate. You may encounter a "turbo mode" when that happens. nGlide's virtual sync does not fix that problem!
I had this problem with both Pandemonium games years ago, and it's too bad that we haven't found a proper resolution for it. Though, have you tried running an FPS limiter in the background?
Post edited December 13, 2016 by rampancy
rampancy: a) Has anyone tried Starship Titanic in Wine?
The game still has the same problem as reported here. (Checked with wine 1.9.24).
Thanks for the report. Also, I'm behind in updating this thead...
Urnoev: Game: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II - The Sith Lords

--------------------------------------------------
Note: This is for the GOG.com version ONLY, since the most recent game update, which includes native Linux support, isn't included here yet and as of now only available on Steam.
--------------------------------------------------
Note isn't needed. This thread is specifically for GOG games.

Urnoev: 01. Install the base game as usual in a 64-bit prefix. The installation may take a while, don't worry.
Why a 64-bit prefix?
Urnoev: 06. In the game, disable the options Frame Buffer Effects and Grass to prevent crashes.
This depends on your GPU, no? Common cause of problems though.

Are you using CSMT with this?
Post edited December 18, 2016 by Gydion
Gydion: A. That's cheating.
B) You already did it.
C] Are those instructions accurate with 1.9.12? I don't recall what it was, but if not the Wine version should be bumped.
D} Cheater.

Updated. I will update it again if you feel like doing a copy/pasta over here.
JudasIscariot: I'll update my Subterrain post here:
Thanks, updated. It would be great if you could delete the quote and have the post begin with the report.

igrok: In crossover it is enough to add an override winmm=native,builtin, and it might also be sufficient in recent versions of Wine (if not, then please follow the instructions for Outlaws).
It hasn't made it into mainline Wine yet, i.e. you need a Staging build.

rampancy: a) Has anyone tried Starship Titanic in Wine?
It has issues as already noted. It is under active development being ported to ScummVM .
Post edited December 18, 2016 by Gydion
Has anyone tried to run Seven Kingdoms 2 with Wine?

The game is rated garbage on WineHQ, but the most recent report is for Wine 1.6 only.
Post edited December 18, 2016 by eiii
Gydion: ...
I thought I should add the note just to make sure, it can't hurt, right? Anyway, it might become relevant if the new patch becomes available on GOG, for then this guide won't work anymore.
My system is 64-bit, as well as most systems these days, so it's my standard setup. I'm also using a separate prefix for every application, as it should be done with games, in my opinion. I've never tried a 32-bit one with this guide, but I'd guess it doesn't matter.
The in-game options do depend on the GPU, the Grass more so because of Wine, but I've installed the game on my main gaming computer which uses the mentioned AMD card, my laptop with an integrated Intel card (yes it works, I don't know why or how) and my brother's computer with an old Nvidia card. It was necessary to disable these options for all three. Frame Buffer Effects do work fine with the Steam patch, Linux native and per Wine, for me.
I've installed it with staging and CSMT and pure vanilla Wine, no difference.
I tried to install ARMA2 under Wine on my Mac but the installer gets always stuck after some time. Always after the same progress Wine stops working and there is no response. I tried different Wine versions with the same result. So maybe it's a problem with Wine or the standalone installer (downloaded with the Galaxy Client) is corrupted. But I also redownloaded the complete game a second time with the same result. I couldn't test the Installer on a Windows system, so I can't say if it works there flawlessly.

So my question is: Is this a Wine problem or a problem because of a corrupted installer?
eiii: Has anyone tried to run Seven Kingdoms 2 with Wine?

The game is rated garbage on WineHQ, but the most recent report is for Wine 1.6 only.
I tried it several months ago back when they last had the Enlight games on a steep discount in one of the earlier 1.9.xx builds of vanilla WINE. Both Seven Kingdoms 2 and Capitalism 2 suffered from severe screen redraw issues; in Seven Kingdoms 2 especially, the game would run, but the menu would have corrupted/pixellated graphics and be completely unresponsive.
Silverhawk170485: I tried to install ARMA2 under Wine on my Mac but the installer gets always stuck after some time. Always after the same progress Wine stops working and there is no response. I tried different Wine versions with the same result. So maybe it's a problem with Wine or the standalone installer (downloaded with the Galaxy Client) is corrupted. But I also redownloaded the complete game a second time with the same result. I couldn't test the Installer on a Windows system, so I can't say if it works there flawlessly.

So my question is: Is this a Wine problem or a problem because of a corrupted installer?
This isn't necessarily a WINE issue, but usually in my experience it's because it's stuck installing a particularly problematic dependency like DotNET, which may fail to install because it may itself rely on dependencies like msxml3 or DirectX 9.

What you could try doing is run the installer with the /debug flag, which IIRC skips the installation of game dependencies. If you're using Wineskin, you could also try using a CrossOver engine.
Post edited December 19, 2016 by rampancy
Urnoev: I thought I should add the note just to make sure, it can't hurt, right? Anyway, it might become relevant if the new patch becomes available on GOG, for then this guide won't work anymore.
If you want to keep it I would move it down to Install notes. If/when the Aspyr patch hits that's effectively a new version which would need a separate entry anyway.

Urnoev: My system is 64-bit, as well as most systems these days, so it's my standard setup. I'm also using a separate prefix for every application, as it should be done with games, in my opinion. I've never tried a 32-bit one with this guide, but I'd guess it doesn't matter.
Not sure how it's setup on Arch, but I thought the Wine builds switched the default back to 32-bit prefixes unless specified. Then again I haven't bothered to build WoW64 Wine as everything I've been running is 32-bit. The way the entry is worded now makes it sound like a 64-bit prefix is needed. Game is 32-bit, UniWS works under 32-bit OSes (unless it's just been updated & that broke) and TSLRCM does not care. You should add a note that this should work with a 32-bit prefix vs some games that need a 64-bit one.

Urnoev: The in-game options do depend on the GPU, the Grass more so because of Wine, ...
I've installed it with staging and CSMT and pure vanilla Wine, no difference.
With the Grass I was just being a bit picky with the grammar used, but most people likely will want to turn it off.
If you are running/testing it mostly with CSMT then I would specify that in the report. It's one of the larger Staging patches and impacts not only performance, but also stability.
Post edited December 19, 2016 by Gydion