It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

drpaulthetall: Sorry, forgot about that. I'm running macOS Yosemite on a 2.5 ghz i5, 8GB DDR3 RAM and an AMD Radeon HD 6750m with 512MB of vram. I tried Wine 1.9.23 (both 32 and 64bit) and Wine 1.9.24. I tried to winetrick dotnet40 and vcrun2005, vcrun2008, vcrun2010 and vcrun2012. (Because it appears the installer tries to install those).

EDIT: I posted this on my wrong account, but this is in fact, Brainzyy.
vanchann: I downloaded the new version on Linux. So I tried the Windows version too.
Mint 18 64-bit, wine-1.9.24 (devel). I used a clean 32-bit prefix set to Windows XP.

$ WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine_star_ruler_2 winecfg
$ WINEPREFIX=~/.wine_star_ruler_2 wine setup_star_ruler2_2.4.0.5.exe
$ WINEPREFIX=~/.wine_star_ruler_2 wine setup_star_ruler2_wake_of_the_heralds_2.2.0.3.exe
vanchann: The game's installer has added vcrun2010 to wine prefix.

$ WINEPREFIX=~/.wine_star_ruler_2 sh winetricks list-installed
Using winetricks 20160724 - sha1sum: 263130014d4ca7ea29c0b345a86115bda93f58a1 with wine-1.9.24
vcrun2010
vanchann: The game works fine without any other addition. I started the tutorial and all seem to work.

Maybe macOS wine is closer to FreeBSD wine. If I'll have the time later I'll test again on FreeBSD.
I tried the new version and used vcrun2008, vcrun2010 and vcrun2012 winetricks, but same result. Only a black screen.
vanchann:
Brainzyy: I tried the new version and used vcrun2008, vcrun2010 and vcrun2012 winetricks, but same result. Only a black screen.
On Linux wine the only needed native library package was installed directly by the game's installer. Nothing is needed to be added by the user.

I think something like this, was the result on FreeBSD wine too. I'll see again what I can do, but the installed version of wine is not the most current and I don't have the time to compile any newer version.

EDIT: Related systems, related problems!
Star Rules 2 on FreeBSD 11.0 64-bit, running wine-1.9.19 (devel 32-bit from ports) shows a black screen. It doesn't freeze, but it cannot display anything, CPU usage remains at normal level and the whole system is responsive. The screen remains black though.

I force reinstall vcrun2010, but it didn't help.

Error messages on terminal before the process was manually killed. I don't think it's anything particularly useful.

$ cd .wine_star_ruler_2/drive_c/GOG\ Games/Star\ Ruler\ 2/
$ WINEPREFIX=~/.wine_star_ruler_2/ wine Star\ Ruler\ 2.exe
$ err:winediag:xrandr12_init_modes Broken NVIDIA RandR detected, falling back to RandR 1.0. Please consider using the Nouveau driver instead.
err:winediag:xrandr12_init_modes Broken NVIDIA RandR detected, falling back to RandR 1.0. Please consider using the Nouveau driver instead.
fixme:heap:RtlSetHeapInformation 0x0 1 0x0 0 stub
err:winediag:xrandr12_init_modes Broken NVIDIA RandR detected, falling back to RandR 1.0. Please consider using the Nouveau driver instead.
fixme:system:SetProcessDPIAware stub!
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33f4a8,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW (L"\\\\.\\DISPLAY1",0,0x33f160,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),1,0x33f4a8,0x00000000), stub!
Post edited December 08, 2016 by vanchann
Does Legend of Kay: Anniversary run in Wine?
Brainzyy: I tried the new version and used vcrun2008, vcrun2010 and vcrun2012 winetricks, but same result. Only a black screen.
vanchann: On Linux wine the only needed native library package was installed directly by the game's installer. Nothing is needed to be added by the user.

I think something like this, was the result on FreeBSD wine too. I'll see again what I can do, but the installed version of wine is not the most current and I don't have the time to compile any newer version.

EDIT: Related systems, related problems!
Star Rules 2 on FreeBSD 11.0 64-bit, running wine-1.9.19 (devel 32-bit from ports) shows a black screen. It doesn't freeze, but it cannot display anything, CPU usage remains at normal level and the whole system is responsive. The screen remains black though.

I force reinstall vcrun2010, but it didn't help.

Error messages on terminal before the process was manually killed. I don't think it's anything particularly useful.

$ cd .wine_star_ruler_2/drive_c/GOG\ Games/Star\ Ruler\ 2/
$ WINEPREFIX=~/.wine_star_ruler_2/ wine Star\ Ruler\ 2.exe
$ err:winediag:xrandr12_init_modes Broken NVIDIA RandR detected, falling back to RandR 1.0. Please consider using the Nouveau driver instead.
fixme:heap:RtlSetHeapInformation 0x0 1 0x0 0 stub
fixme:system:SetProcessDPIAware stub!
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33f4a8,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW (L"\\\\.\\DISPLAY1",0,0x33f160,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),1,0x33f4a8,0x00000000), stub!
vanchann:
Had the same output except for the NVIDEA stuff. I'll post a bug on bugzilla.
Shadowcat: Does Legend of Kay: Anniversary run in Wine?
I don't own this game, but based on its requirements:
DirectX: Version 11
It should not. (Search for dx11 on that page).
Post edited December 08, 2016 by vanchann
My submission in Wine AppDB for Two Worlds was processed at last: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=34498

See details there on how to make it work.
Post edited December 09, 2016 by shmerl
vanchann: It should not. (Search for dx11 on that page).
Thank you vanchann; that's helpful to know.
Gydion: ...
Hey Gydion,

I would like to update this post of mine: https://www.gog.com/forum/general/the_judas_does_this_run_in_wine_thread/post676

WineHQ entry: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=34539

Screenshots will be added soon-ish for both Subterrain and Way of the Samurai 4.
JudasIscariot: I would like to update this post of mine: https://www.gog.com/forum/general/the_judas_does_this_run_in_wine_thread/post676
A. That's cheating.
B) You already did it.
C] Are those instructions accurate with 1.9.12? I don't recall what it was, but if not the Wine version should be bumped.
D} Cheater.

Updated. I will update it again if you feel like doing a copy/pasta over here.
in other news: wine-2.0-rc1 is out

Now would also be a good time to retest your favorite applications to make sure that there are no
regressions that we have missed.
JudasIscariot: I would like to update this post of mine: https://www.gog.com/forum/general/the_judas_does_this_run_in_wine_thread/post676
Gydion: A. That's cheating.
B) You already did it.
C] Are those instructions accurate with 1.9.12? I don't recall what it was, but if not the Wine version should be bumped.
D} Cheater.

Updated. I will update it again if you feel like doing a copy/pasta over here.
Yeah those instructions are accurate with 1.9.12 :)

I'll make an updated post here as the installer has changed due to the game being updated several times since then :)
Game: Stasis (GOG-7 version)
Installers MD5:
5aecc8b82dee5e1538efd8c981d05dac setup_stasis_2.2.0.7.exe
c06fe50ac6cc692e9b82a7175ad2da30 setup_stasis_2.2.0.7-1.bin
WineHQ AppDB link: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=17094

Distro: Arch Linux 64 bits
Kernel version: 4.8.11-1
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650
Graphics driver & version: Proprietary, v375.20
Wine version tested: regular Wine v1.9.24

Installation: Installs OK with the usual error at the end of the process (of no apparent consequence)
How well does it run: Seemingly perfect (though I only played for 10 minutes)
muntdefems: Game: Stasis (GOG-7 version)
Installers MD5:
5aecc8b82dee5e1538efd8c981d05dac setup_stasis_2.2.0.7.exe
c06fe50ac6cc692e9b82a7175ad2da30 setup_stasis_2.2.0.7-1.bin
WineHQ AppDB link: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=17094

Distro: Arch Linux 64 bits
Kernel version: 4.8.11-1
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650
Graphics driver & version: Proprietary, v375.20
Wine version tested: regular Wine v1.9.24

Installation: Installs OK with the usual error at the end of the process (of no apparent consequence)
How well does it run: Seemingly perfect (though I only played for 10 minutes)
To add to your post:

I played and completed the entire game via Wine and I had no issues whatsoever :)
immi101: in other news: wine-2.0-rc1 is out

Now would also be a good time to retest your favorite applications to make sure that there are no
regressions that we have missed.
Thanks for the tip. I'm hoping it'll hit the Wineskin engine repo soon; we're still on 1.9.24.

CrossOver 16 should also be out soon, too.

Oh and some other questions:

a) Has anyone tried Starship Titanic in Wine?

b) To anyone who's been able to get Civ IV working in Wine: What winetricks did you use? After a lot of finagling I was finally able to get it working in CrossOver 15.3.1 with msxml3, corefonts, and DirectX (Modern), but I've been having trouble getting it to run in vanilla Wine (It keeps getting stuck on "init_engine" when it starts up).
Post edited December 12, 2016 by rampancy
muntdefems: ...
JudasIscariot: To add to your post:

I played and completed the entire game via Wine and I had no issues whatsoever :)
Nice! In that case I guess I'll play it soon from beginning to end. :)