It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

UnrealQuakie: so I might do a linux pc build as a side thing to learn how to use linux and such, Now will games like my unreal tournament 3 and quake 3 arena and doom series on it? I am thinking ubuntu?
adamhm: I recommend Mint. It's based on Ubuntu but has a much better UI as well as other usability improvements. Ubuntu's "Unity" desktop is terrible IMO. As Mint is based on Ubuntu just about everything that works with Ubuntu should also work with Mint (and it's also supported by GOG, as is any other Ubuntu-based distro).

UT3, Quake 3 and Doom should all be playable on Linux. I can't see any reason why UT3 wouldn't run in Wine as it has good ratings on WineHQ's AppDB (it would be nice if Epic Games released that game here), and the Doom and Quake games all have a number of native Linux ports to choose from as the source code for those was released. Some of the Doom & Quake ports are actually available through the default repositories on Ubuntu & Mint.
gonna research it and when i get my eurocom laptop in I will try it out with ubuntu and get a feel on a duel boot system
Spy_Gentleman: Not all of em, I remember trying to compile VBA-M. It lacked one library and in Mint's repo it didn't exist. Whereas at Ubuntu one it does. I just suggest grabbing Ubuntu and then install Cinnamon desktop session and use that instead.
adamhm: Well Mint uses the same repositories as Ubuntu (as well as its own in addition to that)... although Mint sticks to the LTS releases of Ubuntu so it'll only have access to packages available to those releases. Which library did it need?
And both Ubuntu and Mint are by their very foundation, Debian based Which brings another slew of (hilarious) problems into the matter.

Due to the way Debian is built, it can be 6 months to a year before an innovation, major UI update, or new module arrives. Which to put in uncouth terms is a long ass time in the world of computing.

For example, Wayland. Wayland is at this point, drop in ready to go with a few missing things that the kind people on multiple codebases are working on. Gnome already has it, but apparently Cinnamon could be waiting until 2018 to have it fully ready, plus accounting for downstream time. As for Mate, there isn't a clear timeline. What is clear is that many major DE are retiring X, and minor ones are being built around Wayland.

I don't exactly want to try and have someone try and open something 6 months later only for them to be missing a key feature because Debian won't get that update for another 6 months.

But here I am, on Fedora with my choice of DM/DE, and VBA-M is in the RPM fusion.

To be honest, I'm not sure why I typed all that, I think I had a rant raring to go.
UnrealQuakie: so I might do a linux pc build as a side thing to learn how to use linux and such, Now will games like my unreal tournament 3 and quake 3 arena and doom series on it? I am thinking ubuntu?
I recommend staying away from Unity DE which Ubuntu is using by default. Especially with their switch to Mir, and the rest of the Linux world switching to Wayland.

Darvond: Due to the way Debian is built, it can be 6 months to a year before an innovation, major UI update, or new module arrives. Which to put in uncouth terms is a long ass time in the world of computing.
I'm using Debian testing, which is ahead of Ubuntu. If you want to be on the innovating edge, use a rolling distro. Distros with periodic releases are always somewhat behind things.
Post edited December 04, 2016 by shmerl
JudasIscariot: As for the order of installation for the winetricks, you can install them in whatever order you like before you install the game as I've tested this a few times before I wrote everything down :)
In which case I would change it so msxml3 is at the bottom like physx in the first list. Makes it easier to see the difference.
Any reason you wouldn't just overwrite xinput1_3.dll with the x360ce version?
UnrealQuakie: gonna research it and when i get my eurocom laptop in I will try it out with ubuntu and get a feel on a duel boot system
Mint's a better experience out of the box...
Post edited December 04, 2016 by Gydion
JudasIscariot: As for the order of installation for the winetricks, you can install them in whatever order you like before you install the game as I've tested this a few times before I wrote everything down :)
Gydion: In which case I would change it so msxml3 is at the bottom like physx in the first list. Makes it easier to see the difference.
Any reason you wouldn't just overwrite xinput1_3.dll with the x360ce version?
UnrealQuakie: gonna research it and when i get my eurocom laptop in I will try it out with ubuntu and get a feel on a duel boot system
Gydion: Mint's a better experience out of the box...
I am looking as so far it has the less bloatware shit installed on it and is like fresh windows which I love
shmerl: I recommend staying away from Unity DE which Ubuntu is using by default. Especially with their switch to Mir, and the rest of the Linux world switching to Wayland.

Darvond: Due to the way Debian is built, it can be 6 months to a year before an innovation, major UI update, or new module arrives. Which to put in uncouth terms is a long ass time in the world of computing.
shmerl: I'm using Debian testing, which is ahead of Ubuntu. If you want to be on the innovating edge, use a rolling distro. Distros with periodic releases are always somewhat behind things.
If I wanted to be rolling, I could go for Rawhide or Alpha. Or Arch. But that isn't how I roll. I'd rather be in the Goldilocks Zone. Not a crypt, but not State of the Edge, either.
Gydion: Mint's a better experience out of the box...
UnrealQuakie: I am looking as so far it has the less bloatware shit installed on it and is like fresh windows which I love
+1 for Mint (Ubuntu based, there is a direct Debian based branch too). I think it's one of the best choices to start your *NIX journey. You can stay with it if it's fine for you or move to another distribution later.

You will probably see many discussions about why that distro and not the other (like this one we are now). This is not a problem though. Every user could recommend a different distribution based on his/her specific needs and criteria. They are all fine, but for different purposes. You are free to try all of them, if you'd like! :-)

What really matters is that you can choose what meets your requirements at any time and move form one distribution to another if needed.

Finally if you'll find UNIX world interesting after all, there are more open *NIX systems to try, not just Linux, like BSDs (even MAC, but it's not free) or IllumOS based systems. Compatibility with very recent hardware and playing games are not their strong points though.
Game: Rogue Wizards
Installer MD5: f764016c3f57f48af5a669e03a8cf560 setup_rogue_wizards_2.0.0.2.exe
WineHQ AppDB link: Soon
CodeWeavers link: None
Distro: Ubuntu Mate 16.04 64-bit
Kernel version: 4.4.0-51-generic x86_64
Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce GT 240
Graphics driver & version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 340.98
Wine version(s) tested: Wine 1.9.24 via PlayOnLinux,

Install notes: Install & play. The installer installs two dependencies, VC2012 and VC2013, no other tricks are needed
If using PlayOnLinux, start the game from/create shortcut from "Rogue Wizards.exe"
How well does it run: pretty well, currently on level 3 and have no problem so far
Post edited December 05, 2016 by te_lanus
vanchann: As <span class="bold">rampancy</span> wrote I set KeepRes=1 and NoMovies=1. I'm not sure the later option is recognised by the executable, since the intro kept playing. I also set PlayIntro=0 to skip the intro movie.
Yeah, sorry about that, the correct parameter is indeed PlayIntro=0. You won't necessarily need to remove/rename the movies though; there's an option in the preferences to disable Wonder movies.
Hi,

Debian Sid user here with an rx 480.

If someone have the following games in their library, can they tell me if they run:

Metro 2033 - becomes a zombie process on startup, cries about missing jack server, when jack server is launched, it still freezes

Metro Last light - same thing as 2033, freezes on startup

Witcher 1 - crashes when entering the inn in outskirts on vezima all the time

Gothic 1 - video freezes, but audio and game continues, when character first replies to diego: I'm ... at the beginning

Gothic 2 - out of range errors mostly, seem to run otherwise and once video freezed, but audio and game continues, the same as gothic 1 when the hero first replied to xardas in the opening dialogue
Post edited December 04, 2016 by UsernamePassword
te_lanus: Game: Rogue Wizards
Installer MD5: setup_rogue_wizards_2.0.0.2.exe
Copy/pasta?
UsernamePassword: If someone have the following games in their library, can they tell me if they run:
Index posts start with post #2. Check them more carefully next time.
Gothic
Gothic 2 Gold Edition
Witcher, The
As you have AMD you can skip the CheckFloatConstants.
Post edited December 05, 2016 by Gydion
Gydion: Copy/pasta?
fixed
Can someone check out Star Ruler 2, I can't seem to get it to work.
Hmmm.

If you want to remain bloat free but you don't want a distro where you have to wait months just to get an update for ONE package, then I can highly recommend Antergos.

You get all the latest *stable* updates and you can customize your installation since the OS is installed via a net install.

In short, you get the best of both worlds: the rolling update model of Windows (if you like that kind of thing) that you can customize (you can tell your package manager to ignore certain updates) and you get the overall customization that you get with Linux :D

Or you can even try Arch Anywhere :D
Post edited December 05, 2016 by JudasIscariot
Brainzyy: Can someone check out Star Ruler 2, I can't seem to get it to work.
Hi,
doesn't the Linux native version work on your system? What is your distribution?

I can confirm that it runs fine on Mint 18 64-bit and if I remember correctly I had the game running on Debian 64-bit and Mint 17.3 64-bit too.

The hardware requirements for the game are low, but make sure your system satisfies them.
Check if all the required libraries are there. The easiest way is with ldd command on the elf file. See attachment for the 64-bit elf and libraries (it's a text file, but I had to rename it as an image to upload it).

If you experience segmentation faults, chances are that at least one of the included libraries is incompatible with your system. In that case you need a debugger (gdb) to figure it out and then replace it.
Attachments:
sr2.png (6 Kb)
Post edited December 05, 2016 by vanchann