It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

adamhm: Not a GOG game (...yet?) but it is DRM-free with a standalone installer on the Humble Store. Perhaps add a separate section for DRM-free games that aren't on GOG?

Game: BioShock (Humble Store DRM-free version)
Yep. Pretty playable in Wine. I bought it when it appeared in one of the DRM-free Humble Bundles, but it's now available DRM-free straight in the Humble Store. Not sure what's stopping 2K from releasing it here on GOG too.

When I was playing, I had to apply this fix:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\DirectInput]
"MouseWarpOverride"="force"

Otherwise mouse wasn't rotating the screen all the way. May be it's fixed in the latest Wine already.

By the way, feel free to comment on 2k forums: https://forums.2k.com/showthread.php?1473556-With-Linux-version-out-please-release-Bioshock-Infinite-on-GOG!
and ask them to release their Bioshock games here too.
Post edited December 01, 2016 by shmerl
adamhm: Not a GOG game (...yet?) but it is DRM-free with a standalone installer on the Humble Store. Perhaps add a separate section for DRM-free games that aren't on GOG?
Gydion: I don't mind the report here, but I'm not planning on tracking non-GOG games in this thread as it's specifically for "asking does GOG GAME run in Wine?"
JudasIscariot: Oh I can reproduce running Way of the Samurai 4, I just don't feel like writing out the lengthy instructions to do so atm :D
Gydion: Two days later...

Hey, didn't Xanadu Next have an update. Likely it did not fix the rainbow colours, but that bug report doesn't even have any useful logs attached to it. How am I supposed to demand patch from you if you haven't identified the problem yet?
Xanadu Next did have an update but it wasn't anything remotely related to the issue with the shaders, sorry,
Gydion: I don't mind the report here, but I'm not planning on tracking non-GOG games in this thread as it's specifically for "asking does GOG GAME run in Wine?"
I mainly posted it here so I had a report to link to in my giveaway (and WineHQ aren't interested because PlayOnLinux), but I also thought it would be useful to include reports for other DRM-free games (not counting "DRM-free on Steam" games) as there are quite a lot that aren't available on GOG for some reason or another despite being available DRM-free elsewhere. It wouldn't detract from the main purpose of the thread, but it's your thread & your decision.

shmerl: When I was playing, I had to apply this fix:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\DirectInput]
"MouseWarpOverride"="force"

Otherwise mouse wasn't rotating the screen all the way. May be it's fixed in the latest Wine already.
No, the bug is still there but I worked around it by setting "Automatically capture the mouse in full-screen windows" in Winecfg instead.
Post edited December 01, 2016 by adamhm
Haven't yet had the time to post a full report, but Civ III Complete runs just fine with staging-1.9.23 at full widescreen resolution in OS X 10.11 with Wineskin on my 2013 MacBook Air; you just have to add KeepRes=1 and PlayIntro=0 to the game's .ini file.

Edit: The correct parameter to disable the intro cutscene is PlayIntro=0, not NoMovies=1.
Post edited December 04, 2016 by rampancy
Game: Way of the Samurai 4
Installer MD5:

50f5d0edbe43ceb8e3847cf9d89ca872 setup_way_of_the_samurai4_2.1.0.3.exe
18f109ca718e43cdc07383d47723bcfe setup_way_of_the_samurai4_2.1.0.3-1.bin

WineHQ AppDB link: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=34504

Distro: Antergos Linux 64-bit
Kernel version: 4.8.11-ARCH
Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970
Graphics driver & version: Proprietary 375.20
Wine version(s) tested: Wine 1.9.24

Install notes: You will need all of these winetricks in order to play the game properly:

amstream
devenum
quartz
d3dx9
d3dcompiler_43
wmp9
physx

Quick note about physx:

The version pulled by winetricks is the older version, namely, version 9.14. If you want the newer version (the one our installer attempts to install) you will need to swap the physx winetrick for msxml3 and that will allow you to install PhysX 9.15 from our installer :)

How well does it run: Quite well but I highly recommend playing the game with an XInput-capable controller as you will be fighting a lot and the game requires quick reflexes. After installing the necessary winetricks the game runs very smooth and also has a windowed mode for those of you who like that sort of thing :P

Details:

I've put up controller support how-to and some detailed notes regarding winetricks here: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=34504. I tried to write the controller how-to succinctly enough to be readable but I also tried to keep in mind that not everyone who uses Wine might know all the little ins and outs of it so it might be longer than necessary :)
Post edited December 03, 2016 by JudasIscariot
Game: Sid Meier’s Civilization III Complete

WineHQ AppDB link: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=7905

Distro: Linux Mint 18 Sarah x86_64
Kernel: 4.4.0-51-generic
Card: GeForce GT 330M
OpenGL Renderer: GeForce GT 330M/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL Version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 340.98
Wine version: wine-1.9.23 (wine-devel amd64).

Install notes: I installed directx9 through winetricks.

How well does it run: Well.
I haven't tested it much. So I cannot tell about the sound looping issue, posted on AppDB.

Details: The game doesn't run from the desktop shortcut. Civ3Conquests.exe under Conquests folder should be used.

As <span class="bold">rampancy</span> wrote I set KeepRes=1 and PlayIntro=0 to skip the intro movie. Movies cause screen resolution issues and should be disabled.

Available options can be found here.
Options should be set to conquest.ini file under Conquest folder. If the file is not there, simply run the executable once.

EDIT: Wrong option NoMovies=1 has been removed. Thanks <span class="bold">rampancy</span>.
Post edited December 04, 2016 by vanchann
Game: Sid Meier’s Civilization IV: The Complete Edition

WineHQ AppDB link: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&amp;iId=10158

Distro: Linux Mint 18 Sarah x86_64
Kernel: 4.4.0-51-generic
Card: GeForce GT 330M
OpenGL Renderer: GeForce GT 330M/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL Version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 340.98
Wine version: wine-1.9.23 (wine-devel amd64).

How well does it run: Perfectly, but I haven't tested it much.

Details: The game needs native libraries for sure. It doesn't play on a clean prefix.
I installed the full directx9 in a hurry, but logically just d3dx9_36 would be enough as AppDB suggests.

The installation took more than an hour on my system. It isn't easy to test it again.

EDIT: In case of issues with a black screen/map, <span class="bold">Pangaea666</span> recommends the installation of MSXML3 native library to solve them.

Thanks Pangaea666 for the info.
Post edited December 05, 2016 by vanchann
vanchann: Game: Sid Meier’s Civilization IV: The Complete Edition
Does this need more than d3dx9_36? Not sure if that test was incomplete or what.
JudasIscariot: Game: Way of the Samurai 4
I've put up controller support how-to and some detailed notes regarding winetricks here: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&amp;iId=34504. I tried to write the controller how-to succinctly enough to be readable but I also tried to keep in mind that not everyone who uses Wine might know all the little ins and outs of it so it might be longer than necessary :)
I might change
If you want the version of PhysX that the GOG version comes with (version 9.15) then you will need the following list of winetricks:
to
If you want the version of PhysX that the GOG version comes with (version 9.15) then replace winetricks physx with msxml3:
I would also have the winetricks in the same order unless it matters when msxml3 is installed. Also, no screenshots. As long as it has a maintainer screenshot submission should be quick.
Post edited December 03, 2016 by Gydion
vanchann:
Gydion: Does this need more than d3dx9_36? Not sure if that test was incomplete or what.
It needs native libraries for sure. It doesn't play on a clean prefix. I installed the full directx9 in a hurry, but logically just d3dx9_36 would be enough as AppDB suggests. I'll update my post with that additional info.

The installation took more than an hour on my system. It isn't easy to test it again.
vanchann: Game: Sid Meier’s Civilization IV: The Complete Edition
Gydion: Does this need more than d3dx9_36? Not sure if that test was incomplete or what.
JudasIscariot: Game: Way of the Samurai 4
I've put up controller support how-to and some detailed notes regarding winetricks here: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&amp;iId=34504. I tried to write the controller how-to succinctly enough to be readable but I also tried to keep in mind that not everyone who uses Wine might know all the little ins and outs of it so it might be longer than necessary :)
Gydion: I might change

If you want the version of PhysX that the GOG version comes with (version 9.15) then you will need the following list of winetricks:
Gydion: to

If you want the version of PhysX that the GOG version comes with (version 9.15) then replace winetricks physx with msxml3:
Gydion: I would also have the winetricks in the same order unless it matters when msxml3 is installed. Also, no screenshots. As long as it has a maintainer screenshot submission should be quick.
Yeah, I need to make a screenshot or two but I can't make one in full screen as for some reason my PrintScrn button doesn't work when the game is ran in full screen. Will mess around with the virtual desktop :)

As for the order of installation for the winetricks, you can install them in whatever order you like before you install the game as I've tested this a few times before I wrote everything down :)
Post edited December 03, 2016 by JudasIscariot
so I might do a linux pc build as a side thing to learn how to use linux and such, Now will games like my unreal tournament 3 and quake 3 arena and doom series on it? I am thinking ubuntu?
UnrealQuakie: so I might do a linux pc build as a side thing to learn how to use linux and such, Now will games like my unreal tournament 3 and quake 3 arena and doom series on it? I am thinking ubuntu?
If you want something from Ubuntu then choose either, Xubuntu, Ubuntu MATE or just install Ubuntu and then get yourself Cinnamon desktop. Unity, default Ubuntu desktop session, is just garbage. Make sre to get the LTS version.

Alternatively you can also install Antergos or Manjaro if you wanna check out ArchLinux system. The difference between ArchLinux and Ubuntu is the fact that the 1stone provides latest version of the programs and is always updated, but some directory placements are different. Linux newbies should stick to Ubuntu and other Ubuntu/Debian-based distros.
Post edited December 03, 2016 by Spy_Gentleman
UnrealQuakie: so I might do a linux pc build as a side thing to learn how to use linux and such, Now will games like my unreal tournament 3 and quake 3 arena and doom series on it? I am thinking ubuntu?
I recommend Mint. It's based on Ubuntu but has a much better UI as well as other usability improvements. Ubuntu's "Unity" desktop is terrible IMO. As Mint is based on Ubuntu just about everything that works with Ubuntu should also work with Mint (and it's also supported by GOG, as is any other Ubuntu-based distro).

UT3, Quake 3 and Doom should all be playable on Linux. I can't see any reason why UT3 wouldn't run in Wine as it has good ratings on WineHQ's AppDB (it would be nice if Epic Games released that game here), and the Doom and Quake games all have a number of native Linux ports to choose from as the source code for those was released. Some of the Doom & Quake ports are actually available through the default repositories on Ubuntu & Mint.
adamhm: I recommend Mint. It's based on Ubuntu but has a much better UI as well as other usability improvements. Ubuntu's "Unity" desktop is terrible IMO. As Mint is based on Ubuntu just about everything that works with Ubuntu should also work with Mint (and it's also supported by GOG, as is any other Ubuntu-based distro).
Not all of em, I remember trying to compile VBA-M. It lacked one library and in Mint's repo it didn't exist. Whereas at Ubuntu one it does. I just suggest grabbing Ubuntu and then install Cinnamon desktop session and use that instead.
Spy_Gentleman: Not all of em, I remember trying to compile VBA-M. It lacked one library and in Mint's repo it didn't exist. Whereas at Ubuntu one it does. I just suggest grabbing Ubuntu and then install Cinnamon desktop session and use that instead.
Well Mint uses the same repositories as Ubuntu (as well as its own in addition to that)... although Mint sticks to the LTS releases of Ubuntu so it'll only have access to packages available to those releases. Which library did it need?
Post edited December 03, 2016 by adamhm