It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Gydion: Are you using packages? I would be curious what you see if you built the port instead, wine configure output in particular.
Pre-built binary packages are generally older versions. I've been using the ports tree and compile/install the source code using make targets. I have configured recursively the dependencies. I don't know what you're interested in. I don't remember something's gone wrong during the building process.

Since issues for dependencies and the Wine port itself are resolved by the port maintainer, I assume that extra configuration in the source could have been made for the compilation to successfully complete.
Post edited September 02, 2016 by vanchann
JudasIscariot: Hmmmm, I could've sworn there was an issue with FreeBSD in WineHQ related to something in the codebase. Oh well, I'll at least get some more regression testing practice at least :)
vanchann: Thanks for all your efforts Judas.

I've tried to launch a few games this morning as I've updated from 1.9.13 to 1.9.17 the last weekend. Many games I tried like Blackguards 2, Divinity Original Sin (classic version), Technobabylon, Overlord are broken now. Other games like Age of Wonders 3 and Van Helsing Final Cut keep running fine.

I think the problem is specific to Wine running on FreeBSD. This view has been reinforced by GOG's new addition Titan Quest failing today, while it runs on Linux as adamhm . <a href="http://www.gog.com/forum/general/the_judas_does_this_run_in_wine_thread_v1173/post282" class="link_arrow"></a></div> might that be the same as this bug [url=https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=40990]#40990
the bug reporter says almost no game works anymore after updating from 1.9.3 -> 1.9.14
which seems to mirror your experience.
what does your terminal output look like? Similar to the one in the report?
If yes, you might add your info to the bug. It has little usable info so far.
Doing a git bisect, as Judas said, to find the exact patch which caused this would be the best of course :)
igrok: Thanks for the video, they seem to me moving faster than they should be. However, the only way to be sure is to play it till scene 5 (big jump) and see if it can be completed. When the speed is broken, this bit is impossible to do.

Did you patch the game to make it run? I've just tried running it in wine 1.9.17 and I still get the crash at the start (which is because of this bug: Bug 21924). With the patch suggested in the discussion the game works too fast.
I've tried scene 5 (didn't get to it yet) and nope when you hit the ramp you loose 90% of your speed thus can't complete the jump :(
te_lanus: the clouds look like those I've seen on youtube. did a quick youtube vid: https://youtu.be/7A8wLavv-i0
igrok: Thanks for the video, they seem to me moving faster than they should be. However, the only way to be sure is to play it till scene 5 (big jump) and see if it can be completed. When the speed is broken, this bit is impossible to do.

Did you patch the game to make it run? I've just tried running it in wine 1.9.17 and I still get the crash at the start (which is because of this bug: Bug 21924). With the patch suggested in the discussion the game works too fast.
set the windows version to windows 98 to get past the crash. No need to patch the game.
Under Win98 wine correctly emulates the I/O port access used to measure the CPU speed and the game starts up fine.
That it crashes under NT-based windows version is actually correct behavior.

The game might still behave wonky due to the high cpu speed (which the developers apparently didn't dream of ;) )
But that seems to be a general issue with game, even on windows.
Haven't played up to scene 5 to check that big jump that you described.

//edit:
nope, jump doesn't work for me either

however running the game with:
i76.exe -glide
and the jump works

i76.exe -d3d just crashes
Post edited September 02, 2016 by immi101
immi101: set the windows version to windows 98 to get past the crash. No need to patch the game.
I had it already set to Windows 98. Also it crashes even with the -glide argument which you suggested, but it's interesting that it works for you. Which version of wine do you have?
immi101: set the windows version to windows 98 to get past the crash. No need to patch the game.
igrok: I had it already set to Windows 98. Also it crashes even with the -glide argument which you suggested, but it's interesting that it works for you. Which version of wine do you have?
the -glide argument has nothing to do with the crash. But it seems to fix the wonky physics/AI that happens when the frame rate gets too high.

I ran this with the wine from my git tree which is atm somewhere between 1.9.16 and 1.9.17
Do you really get that some crash as in the bug report?
"Unhandled exception: privileged instruction in 32-bit code"
immi101: Do you really get that some crash as in the bug report?
The message is slightly different:
"Unhandled exception: page fault on write access to 0x000d0000 in 32-bit code (0x7e5791ae)..."
However, applying the patch from the WineHQ thread allows to start the game, so it must be related to CPU speed detection.
vanchann: Since issues for dependencies and the Wine port itself are resolved by the port maintainer, I assume that extra configuration in the source could have been made for the compilation to successfully complete.
Wine has a number of optional build dependencies. Depending on how the configure options are specified the build can proceed, but with that portion missing. I finally found what the FreeBSD port is using, helps to look at the correct port. It's basically a bunch of without (skips) with very few with (build fails if not satisfied).
Fairly certain your problem is with too new fontconfig, 2016-08-21. Seems to be even worse on OS X and breaks at runtime.

Meant to edit this earlier to be more coherent. My suspicion is the breakage you are seeing has to do with some updated Wine dependencies. Two thoughts: First, an optional build dependency stopped building (configure log). Second, some runtime issue. Rereading that OS X bug it would seem to be fontconfig. Reverting to fontconfig 2.11.1_3,1 and then rebuilding the Wine would fix it if true.
Post edited September 03, 2016 by Gydion
immi101:
Gydion:
Thank you all.

Generally is a bad idea to downgrade a port, since it could break other dependencies and I have some ports which depend on fontconfig installed already. But also looks like fontconfig isn't required by the installed wine version on my system.

The installed port is i386-wine-devel.
Gydion has already found the reason:

118 # - "wine32" (aka emulators/i386-wine-devel) is the 32-bit component and runs 32-bit programs
119 # (on FreeBSD/amd64). This will be superseded by wow64.
135 # Wine assumes a WoW64 package is available however WoW64 is not yet available on FreeBSD.
None of those two wine ports is depended to the other (wine-depend file).
Also there are no errors or stops during the building process (wine-build file).

NOTE: Both the attachments are text files, but I had them masked as images for GOG to let me upload them. They should be downloaded and renamed to something meaningful (txt, log) or to directly opened with a text editor.
Attachments:
Post edited September 03, 2016 by vanchann
vanchann: Generally is a bad idea to downgrade a port, since it could break other dependencies and I have some ports which depend on fontconfig installed already. But also looks like fontconfig isn't required by the installed wine version on my system.
Couldn't you get around this by using something like a chroot (or a FreeBSD jail, if there's a way to allow it access to the display, audio, and keyboard/mouse)?
dtgreene: Couldn't you get around this by using something like a chroot (or a FreeBSD jail, if there's a way to allow it access to the display, audio, and keyboard/mouse)?
I think I could, but there's no time to set things up for such a workaround.

I don't think just a chroot would be enough. I can create a building environment for wine in jail, so I could try to build/install it directly from source (not from the port) in jail without breaking the system. I think even an X environment is possible. I don't know if and how well wine could run in jail though. I've never tried that (I've been using jails for my development FAMP servers stack).
vanchann: Generally is a bad idea to downgrade a port, since it could break other dependencies and I have some ports which depend on fontconfig installed already. But also looks like fontconfig isn't required by the installed wine version on my system.
is it easier to downgrade wine?
If you recompile the old version that worked previously, it should also fail now if the new fontconfig really is the culprit.

immi101: Do you really get that some crash as in the bug report?
igrok: The message is slightly different:
"Unhandled exception: page fault on write access to 0x000d0000 in 32-bit code (0x7e5791ae)..."
However, applying the patch from the WineHQ thread allows to start the game, so it must be related to CPU speed detection.
interesting, that crashes on another place for a different reason. And looks like the crash happens in wine, so that might be fixable. can you post the whole terminal output?
As far as I understand the code, the CPU speed detection is used to set the initial graphic options, so maybe that's what leads to the crash.

Regardless of that problem, the issue remains that the game runs too fast. Seems this really needs a fix in the game's code, I can't think of a external method to keep the frame rate fixed to 30fps.

Did you test running the game with -glide, after applying the patch? That's works the best for me, though it doesn't work quite right either.
immi101: is it easier to downgrade wine?
If you recompile the old version that worked previously, it should also fail now if the new fontconfig really is the culprit.
I've posted only the building dependencies to keep the list sort and consistent for both ports, but fontconfig is not on runtime dependencies for i386-wine-devel either.

I don't see the reason to fail because of fontconfig. I'll check the dependencies of the old version though. Maybe I could find something there.
vanchann: I've posted only the building dependencies to keep the list sort and consistent for both ports, but fontconfig is not on runtime dependencies for i386-wine-devel either.
Port i386-wine-devel is a bit odd in that it actually uses wine-devel. The i386 port is mostly additional compatibility shims. Port wine-devel is the one doing all the work. When wine-devel is built with the X11 option that in turn pulls in <i>fontconfig</i> among others.

vanchann: Generally is a bad idea to downgrade a port, since it could break other dependencies and I have some ports which depend on fontconfig installed already.
True, but in this case it should be quite safe. If you check the previous version it's not associated with any security problems or other bugs. I also rather doubt anything else requires that new a version of fontconfig.
Game: Ether One Redux

Installer MD5s: 39a8b117c1abd0e46e17044a7d741226 setup_ether_one_redux_2.0.0.2.exe

WineHQ AppDB link: N/A

Distro: Antergos 64-bit
Kernel version: Linux antergos 4.7.2-1-ARCH
Graphics card: Nvidia GeForec GTX 970
Graphics driver & version: NVIDIA 370.23
Wine version(s) tested: WINE 1.9.17-265-g225c43b (one git version behind Wine 1.9.18)

How well does it run: Almost perfectly. I have experienced some lag here and there and there are times when the game's subtitles seem to be de-synced from what you hear so you see the next line being shown by the subtitles before it's spoken by a voice actor.

Details:

Instructions:

Things to do before installing:

1. Make sure you have 64-bit support in Wine as this is a 64-bit only game.
2. Make sure you have drivers that can support OpenGL 4.3 or higher.
3, Run "winecfg" and set Wine to Windows XP
4. In the "Libraries" tab, set x3daudio1_7 to builtin, native.
5. Still in Windows XP mode, run "winetricks vcrun2015"
6. After installing VCRUN2015, switch to Windows 7 mode in Wine's configuration utility.
7. Run the GOG installer.
8. Let everything install as normal.
9. You may get prompted by the Unreal Engine 4 Prerequisites Setup file to install the UE4 prerequisites. Let it do its thing and fail with an "Invalid ACL"
10. Once you have the game installed, navigate to the base Ether One Redux directory, do NOT go to the Binaries folder.
11. After you get to that directory, open up a terminal and type the following command:

$wine EtherOne.exe -opengl4

<end instruction>

You should now be looking at the starting screen for the game, pressing Space will not work but you can use your mouse on the "Press Space" prompt and you should have a menu where you can start a new game or load a saved game.

I just played through the Devlin Mines and played a portion of the Pinwheel Harbor in the game with almost no performance issues.
Post edited September 04, 2016 by JudasIscariot