It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

adamhm: Install notes: Must install the unofficial Return to Castle Wolfenstein v1.42d patch (if you don't do this the game won't run)
It actually worked for me without any patches when I tried to run it some time ago.
adamhm: Install notes: Must install the unofficial Return to Castle Wolfenstein v1.42d patch (if you don't do this the game won't run)
igrok: It actually worked for me without any patches when I tried to run it some time ago.
Upgrading software could sometimes break things. So maybe a change in Wine's code has made the game unplayable without the patch.

I had a similar issue with Sacred 2 Gold.
Post edited August 23, 2016 by vanchann
igrok: It actually worked for me without any patches when I tried to run it some time ago.
vanchann: Upgrading software could sometimes break things. So maybe a change in Wine's code has made the game unplayable without the patch.

I had a similar issue with Sacred 2 Gold.
Do you recall the last correctly working version of Wine for Sacred 2 Gold and the one where things started breaking? Sounds like a regression to me.
vanchann:
JudasIscariot: Do you recall the last correctly working version of Wine for Sacred 2 Gold and the one where things started breaking? Sounds like a regression to me.
Unfortunately no.
I don't upgrade to new versions as they are released, so almost always there are gaps between the versions I use.

EDIT: I think I have made a mistake in that old post. The working version should have been wine-1.9.6 (i386-wine-devel: 32-bit from ports). The same one I used for the other games on that thread.
Post edited August 23, 2016 by vanchann
JudasIscariot: Do you recall the last correctly working version of Wine for Sacred 2 Gold and the one where things started breaking? Sounds like a regression to me.
vanchann: Unfortunately no.
I don't upgrade to new versions as they are released, so almost always there are gaps between the versions I use.

EDIT: I think I have made a mistake in that old post. The working version should have been wine-1.9.6 (i386-wine-devel: 32-bit from ports).
OK, do you recall any winetricks that you may have used to get the game running at the time?
vanchann: Unfortunately no.

EDIT: I think I have made a mistake in that old post. The working version should have been wine-1.9.6 (i386-wine-devel: 32-bit from ports).
JudasIscariot: OK, do you recall any winetricks that you may have used to get the game running at the time?
Yes. They should have been:
mfc42
vcrun2005
d3dx9
Plus the physX version that was included with the game.
I tried it when it was released here but it didn't work then either & other reports suggest that it's been broken for a while. Anyway even if it can be made to run without it, using the patch is still a good idea just for the improvements it brings.
Game: Neverwinter Nights Diamond Edition
Installer MD5s:
2b6bec0df8d2f1755876407069f6ae43 setup_nwn_diamond_2.0.0.15-1.bin
db2c1e75b087e43fa5895bcc70fca8b9 setup_nwn_diamond_2.0.0.15-2.bin
e7d063a2c892519dc431fc84c3611a65 setup_nwn_diamond_2.0.0.15.exe
WineHQ AppDB link: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=31354
CodeWeavers link: https://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/crossover/neverwinter-nights-diamond-edition

Distro: Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon 64-bit
Kernel version: 4.4.0-34
Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 750Ti
Graphics driver & version: Proprietary 370.23
Wine version(s) tested: Wine Staging 1.9.17 via PlayOnLinux, CrossOver 15.2.0

Install notes: Install & play.
If using PlayOnLinux, run the game from/create a shortcut for "nwmain.exe"
How well does it run: Perfect
Details: Have only played through the beginning of the game but it seems to work fine. Tested with virtual desktop and CSMT enabled. If using virtual desktop and playing at your display's full resolution I find this works best if you set the initial resolution for the virtual desktop to match.

Native Linux port
A native Linux port exists for this game. ./play.it has links to the required files and a script for making it easy to install if you don't want to do it manually: http://wiki.dotslashplay.it/en/games/neverwinter-nights (I haven't tested this myself yet)
rampancy: Almost all winetricks are installed in that PoL prefix? Could you at least remember some of what you added when you installed Interstate '82?
Gydion: Does it matter? Unable to replicate it. Must still be missing something. Dependency Walker or WINEDEBUG=+loaddll might give some clues.
It does matter because at least I can have some clues on what I could start with to get the game running. Even if someone posted what didn't work, it would be helpful as it would help eliminate steps or dependencies that wouldn't be useful.
te_lanus: And Interstate 82 is one of those games, so no clue what is installed (almost all of the winetricks is installed)
This may be easier to parse:
c:\>regedit /E "overrides.reg" "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\DLLOverrides"
c:\>regedit /E "appDefs.reg" "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\AppDefaults"
rampancy: Even if someone posted what didn't work, it would be helpful as it would help eliminate steps or dependencies that wouldn't be useful.
How would you know it's wrong vs just incomplete? Did anyone mention where it's crashing?
Post edited August 29, 2016 by Gydion
te_lanus: And Interstate 82 is one of those games, so no clue what is installed (almost all of the winetricks is installed)
Gydion: This may be easier to parse:

c:\>regedit /E "overrides.reg" "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\DLLOverrides"
c:\>regedit /E "appDefs.reg" "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\AppDefaults"
Gydion:
rampancy: Even if someone posted what didn't work, it would be helpful as it would help eliminate steps or dependencies that wouldn't be useful.
Gydion: How would you know it's wrong vs just incomplete? Did anyone mention where it's crashing?
Here is the dlloverrides that my prefix use: http://pastebin.com/kJcVPNeP

EDIT: tried it again, and still failing to get it to work :(
Post edited August 29, 2016 by te_lanus
Game: Interstate '76
Installer MD5: 45c9538f262a543312625521129c821b setup_interstate76_2.1.0.17.exe
WineHQ AppDB link: GOG Version
CodeWeavers link: GOG Version

Kernel: 4.4.0-34-generic x86_64 (64 bit)
Desktop: MATE 1.14.1 Distro: Ubuntu 16.04.1 xenial
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GT215 [GeForce GT 240]
GLX Renderer: GeForce GT 240/PCIe/SSE2
GLX Version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 304.131

Wine version(s) tested: Wine 1.9.17 via PlayOnLinux

Install notes: Install GDI+, and set windows version to Windows 98
If using PlayOnLinux, run the game from/create a shortcut for "i76.EXE"
How well does it run: ok, for the first 4 scenes
Details: runs great, finished the first mission without a problem. I have yet to install the add-on. tested with virtual desktop mode.

EDIT: Seems there is a game breaking bug, on scene 5 you can't complete the big jump :(
Post edited September 02, 2016 by te_lanus
te_lanus: Game: Interstate '76
Did you manage to find a solution to the CPU speed detection bug? Because without it the game is unfortunately unplayable beyond the first few missions. The easiest way to test whether you have this problem is to look at the clouds. If they move unnaturally fast, then the problem is still there.
JudasIscariot: OK, do you recall any winetricks that you may have used to get the game running at the time?
vanchann: Yes. They should have been:
mfc42
vcrun2005
d3dx9
Plus the physX version that was included with the game.
Did you ever run into this bug with Sacred 2? I think you just may need to run "winetricks d3dcompiler_43" instead of the full d3dx9 package to work around a few problems :)
vanchann:
JudasIscariot: Did you ever run into this bug with Sacred 2? I think you just may need to run "winetricks d3dcompiler_43" instead of the full d3dx9 package to work around a few problems :)
Thanks Judas. I'll try this workaround.
I don't remember the error messages, but the problem looks similar. Probably it's the same bug.

Since our last interaction, I've updated my Wine installation to 1.9.17-devel, but it didn't help.